Contributor
blackladyJR

Cannot play anything from iphone or ipad xfinity TV app

Hi,

I was able to play a tv series or movie from "play now" in my ipad xfinity app.  All of a sudden since last night, it no longer works.  When I click "play", it will says video is resuming now but then just black screen and the timebar is 0:00:00 to 0:00:00.  I download the same app to my iphone today and still same result.

Please advise.

thanks.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: Cannot play anything from iphone or ipad xfinity TV app

blackladyJR wrote:

Hi,

I was able to play a tv series or movie from "play now" in my ipad xfinity app.  All of a sudden since last night, it no longer works.  When I click "play", it will says video is resuming now but then just black screen and the timebar is 0:00:00 to 0:00:00.  I download the same app to my iphone today and still same result.

Please advise.

thanks.

Go to Settings > History and then press the "Clear all History" button. Now try watching the video again and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Contributor
blackladyJR

Same, does not work.  I tried movie "just go with it" from Starz.  It showed the Starz logo clip for 10 seconds or so while it's counting down "your movie will resume in 10 seconds...etc".  After that, just black screen with the top left "done", middle" On Now: Just go with it", bottom 0:00:00 to 0:00:00. 

Tried other movies, same.

Iphone or IPad or IPAd2 all same result.

for iphone4 is worse, as i try to scroll the movie list, the app just close and jump back to the phone home screen when I scroll the movie list.

Please advise.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

blackladyJR wrote:

Same, does not work.  I tried movie "just go with it" from Starz.  It showed the Starz logo clip for 10 seconds or so while it's counting down "your movie will resume in 10 seconds...etc".  After that, just black screen with the top left "done", middle" On Now: Just go with it", bottom 0:00:00 to 0:00:00. 

Tried other movies, same.

Iphone or IPad or IPAd2 all same result.

for iphone4 is worse, as i try to scroll the movie list, the app just close and jump back to the phone home screen when I scroll the movie list.

Please advise.

I tested Just Go With It and found no issues

When trying all of your devices, did you do it all on the same wireless network?

Do you have the most update version of the app installed on your iPad?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor
blackladyJR

hi Joe,

Yes, it is latest as I just downloaded it few days ago on ipad2.  I was able to play the movie yesterday and then it doesn't work at night.  I then download the app to my other ipad1 last night and same result not working.

I also just downloaded the app to my iphone4 today just to test it so it is latest and same result. 

It is for any movie or TV series with same result.

And they are not on the same wireless network.  I tested with different wireless network as well.

So 3 different devices and 2 different wireless networks, all same result didn't work.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

click on the tv tab top of this page, then on the bottom right of the page you will see a wheel.  click there.  on the next page you will see a box called manage my devices.  you can only have three devices enabled.  i would delete all of them and then try to enable them again.

Contributor
blackladyJR

Hm, I only have 3 devices (ipad1, ipad2, iphone4).  I went to the manage my device page and also saw only 3 devices there as well.

Still doesn't work.  Click on a movie, it will show the "it's the HBO" for 6 seconds like normal, once the countdown seconds finish and says video resume now, then i am on a black screen, the only thing i can do is to click "Done" to get out, or click "i" for info. click the triangle "play" button did nothing.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

blackladyJR wrote:

hi Joe,

Yes, it is latest as I just downloaded it few days ago on ipad2.  I was able to play the movie yesterday and then it doesn't work at night.  I then download the app to my other ipad1 last night and same result not working.

I also just downloaded the app to my iphone4 today just to test it so it is latest and same result. 

It is for any movie or TV series with same result.

And they are not on the same wireless network.  I tested with different wireless network as well.

So 3 different devices and 2 different wireless networks, all same result didn't work.

Try going here and remove all your available devices from your account and then try watching a video again.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor
blackladyJR

Hi Joe,

I followed your link and removed all.  And still does not work.  Sometimes it is just black screen, sometimes it will say "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video." message instead.

Same thing on all 3 devices. 

I am new subscriber into comcast (first month), initially, the app didn't recognize any of my TVs and playing video is fine.  Ever since few days ago when all of a sudden, the app can recognize my DVR and TVs, then all the movies don't work since.  I haven't touched anything regarding those TV control at all since they were auto-discovered in my app. 

Please advise.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its prob something on comcast end, you watch it will just start to work one day.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

blackladyJR wrote:

Hi Joe,

I followed your link and removed all.  And still does not work.  Sometimes it is just black screen, sometimes it will say "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video." message instead.

Same thing on all 3 devices. 

I am new subscriber into comcast (first month), initially, the app didn't recognize any of my TVs and playing video is fine.  Ever since few days ago when all of a sudden, the app can recognize my DVR and TVs, then all the movies don't work since.  I haven't touched anything regarding those TV control at all since they were auto-discovered in my app. 

Please advise.

What are the two different networks that you tried? A home and work wireless network? Xfinity public WiFi? Starbucks? etc.

Have you recently installed any other apps that may have altered your network settings?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

I have the same issue. Content never plays in the app (iPhone or iPad), never has for me. I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Cleared cache. Hit up then remote help page, removed all devices and it still never plays. Length counter never goes above 0:00:00. Tried on multiple networks (home, work, free hotspots). Web works fine, cable box itself is fine. Other streaming apps are fine - netflix, NBC, hulu. Any ideas?
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

slottedpig wrote:
I have the same issue. Content never plays in the app (iPhone or iPad), never has for me. I've uninstalled, reinstalled. Cleared cache. Hit up then remote help page, removed all devices and it still never plays. Length counter never goes above 0:00:00. Tried on multiple networks (home, work, free hotspots). Web works fine, cable box itself is fine. Other streaming apps are fine - netflix, NBC, hulu. Any ideas?

Have you tried going to Settings > History and pressed the "Clear all History" button as mentioned above?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Yes, I've tried that. Add'l unrestricted accounts.  Uninstalled, re-installed.  Cleared cache, removed devices from the remote help site. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

slottedpig wrote:

Yes, I've tried that. Add'l unrestricted accounts.  Uninstalled, re-installed.  Cleared cache, removed devices from the remote help site. 

Try going here and removing all of your available devices:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh

Once you do that, please try watching a video again.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Already did there, where i said "removed devices from the remote help site."

ComcastJoe wrote:

slottedpig wrote:

Try going here and removing all of your available devices:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh

Once you do that, please try watching a video again.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
apmcclar

I have had the same problem as many others on this site. My problem started while I was at the gym. I was watching a movie while I worked out. I paused it while I went to dress, and tried to restart it--all on the same network. I then tried clearing my history, restarting my tablet, reinstalling the software, removing my devices, changing the dns (one person suggested this), and none of it has worked. I am very frustrated that I can't finish the movie that I started. Seems like this is a bug in the system. Needs to be fixed!
Visitor

Same problem here used to work now does not iPad 3rd gen. Removed all devices, get hbo intro reel and then nothing. Please fix!!!!
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Anon1951838 wrote:
Same problem here used to work now does not iPad 3rd gen. Removed all devices, get hbo intro reel and then nothing. Please fix!!!!

In the Xfinity TV App, click settings then select "History" then "Clear all History".

Now try playing a video again and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

So in my case, after someone from the resolution department called me back, was that I was using third party DNS servers (google's, to be precise) on my network at home.  As soon as I removed those, and reverted to standard comcast DNS servers, it worked fine, and has ever since.  I attempted switch back to google's DNS just to see -- and the app did indeed fail.  I've tried on other networks as well, ATT Wifi hotspots, my company's WiFi network.  Never works outside my house.

Of course, this pretty much defeats the purpose of the app if it's true. Why would I want to stream stuff on my device if I'm home?

Is this actually the case?  I asked the tech, and he really didn't have an answer.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

as long as you're on a wireless network it works, at least it does for me anywhere there is wifi.

Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

as long as you're on a wireless network it works, at least it does for me anywhere there is wifi.

That's what I would expect, and want.  but so far that's not been the case for me.  It only works on my home network, and only when the DNS servers sent as part of the DHCP ack are comcast ones.  As soon as I change it to something else it doesn't work, and it's _never_ worked on any other wifi network.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

What devices are you trying to watch on and what cable box do  you have?

Contributor

iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4. I have a standard HD cable box (not a dvr). trying to watch the Play Now selections. What I'm saying here was stated to me from Comcast, and from every permutation of configurations I've tried, has been proven.  

rog286713 wrote:

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I can tell you this, when I go home to my comcast network its fine there, when I am at work I watch playnow everyday at lunch on my companies wireless network which is not comcast.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

slottedpig wrote:

iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4. I have a standard HD cable box (not a dvr). trying to watch the Play Now selections. What I'm saying here was stated to me from Comcast, and from every permutation of configurations I've tried, has been proven.  

rog286713 wrote:

On your iPhone home screen click Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the arrow next to your Wi-Fi network > change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

Now try playing videos again and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

ComcastJoe wrote:

slottedpig wrote:

rog286713 wrote:

On your iPhone home screen click Settings > Wi-Fi > tap the arrow next to your Wi-Fi network > change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

Now try playing videos again and let me know if it works.

Thanks,
Joe

Right, that works as well.  But I don't have the luxury (or desire) to change the DNS settings on every Wifi connection I'm on. Is there a reason this won't work using anyone's DNS?  Is it to protect the resources?  And only resolve from within a comcast controlled area?  And why does it work for some people (apparently)?

Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

I can tell you this, when I go home to my comcast network its fine there, when I am at work I watch playnow everyday at lunch on my companies wireless network which is not comcast.

I don't it.. 'cause that's the behavior I would expect.  However, it's never worked for me.  Without comcast specific DNS servers, including the ones Joe replied with.  Without that, I'm not able to watch play now content.

Visitor

Per tech suggestion I changed my dns on the iPad to 75.75.75.75 - even though that is ridiculous to require a specific dns. Made no difference. I still get the HBO leader fine then nothing after that.
New Visitor
Kruddock

[ Edited ]

I cannot play movies on my iPad. Some tv shows are ok but no movies..even eligible ones! Please help.. Kay 

New Visitor

Tryed http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/rh and nothing.

New Visitor

change the DNS server to 75.75.75.75.

Works now.  Thank you!

jxt181@comcast.net