Contributor
Accepted Solution

Kindle Fire HD and Xfinity TV app

Does the Xfinity TV app work with the newest Kindle Fire HD? Most Android and Apple apps work with this newest Kindle?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Kindle Fire HD and Xfinity TV app

no the comcasts apps dont work with the kindle fire.  Some have gotten it to work by jailbreaking them but for the most part its no.  The kindle fire works off a proprietary version of android specific to amazon.  That is why you are suppose to only download from the amazon store.

New Visitor
sierraf

I have the new Kindle Fire HD 32g. I recieved it on the release date. I have to admit that I was very surprised to find out that there was not an Xfinity App in the Kindle store, especially since there is an app for most of Comcast compeditors (like Driect TV).. I read around the web that a lot of people are "jailbreaking" their devices to get other apps to work. I in no way wanted to do this with my KindleFire. I was able to download the app direct from the Xfinity site (I simply downloaded the android one, and found it in the file manager (an app from the Amazon site). After locating the app, I installed it, and it works fine on my KindleFire HD. Not sure why it is not offered directly from Amazon. It is a great app. I was able to watch last night's episode of Dexter with no problem. Of course I am a premium content subscriber which is necessary to access that particular show. But I also sneak peaked at other offerings and the app works fine for me.

Contributor

Thanks. I figured there was a "work around" but couldn't find it anywhere.

New Visitor
philips23

How did you download the app direclty from the xfinity web site? The link just takes you to the Google Play Store which, obviously, cannot be accessed on the Kindle Fire without rooting it. 

New Visitor

When I try to download the app from google play (which is where the Xfinity site sends you) it says my device is not a supported device and will not complete the download.  How did you get the download to work?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

rtcwatson wrote:

When I try to download the app from google play (which is where the Xfinity site sends you) it says my device is not a supported device and will not complete the download.  How did you get the download to work?

Do you meet all the requirements?:

• Wi-Fi internet connection for streaming and download of video
• Android phone or tablet running Android 2.3 and higher.
• XFINITY TV or Comcast Digital Video service. You will also need a subscription to one or more eligible channels to play content.
• Comcast ID or Comcast.net email address and password.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor

Please let me know the name of the App that worked!!!

Contributor
rbsteinkx

So your Sales desk says they support the Kindle Fire HD, but your support desk says they don't...LOL

Gotta love Comcast!

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

rbsteinkx wrote:

So your Sales desk says they support the Kindle Fire HD, but your support desk says they don't...LOL

Gotta love Comcast!

A Kindle Fire app is not currently available at the Amazon Kindle Store.

Our product team is constantly working on making our apps compatible on more devices. Thanks for your suggestion; we'll consider your idea for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor
rbsteinkx

My Pandigital Supernova DLX meets all those requirements, except its not listed in the GPS list of products.  I guess they rather I buy a Nexus(ain't gonna happen!)

New Visitor
larrycnw

woohoo it works!!

Contributor
rbsteinkx

What exact app works? Where did you get the app ?

New Visitor
larrycnw

there is a link to download the Xfinity TV app at the top of this thread. 

Contributor
rbsteinkx

I tried different file managers to no avail.  Support says their working on a solution.

Maybe it was their last month.   I guess I'll just wait till it shows up at Amazon Apps.

I'm not going to "root" anything.  Maybe I'll just get an iPad...lol

New Visitor
lorilou97

Okay when I go to the Xfinity app page it redirects to Google play and then a message comes up the kindle fire hd isn't compatible with the app.  I've tried the link at the top of the page but it just drops you to the response that worked.  I tried the link in that response but it takes you to the app page which redirects to Google play.  Where can I download the app that doesn't redirect to Google play?

New Visitor
Raederle

Generally when you want to install an app on the Kindle from Google play what you do is download it to another android device, in my case my cell phone.   Then you use a file manager, in my case ES File Expert to back up that app.   Once you connect the phone as a storage device via usb to your pc, you can copy that appname.apk to another folder on your hard drive.   You then can connect the kindle fire as a storage device via usb, and copy that .apk to the kindle.   From there your file manager (ES File Expert is available in the Kindle store) can install the desired app from backup.

The first time you do this it's rather laborious.    However once you've done it the first time you can then use the same folders and process for other apps.   I installed dropbox as the very first app then created a folder in dropbox to hold the .apks.    I can then just copy them from the android cell to my dropbox folder and restore from same on the kindle, bypassing the pc altogether.

Note, this means you can load apps on the kindle not approved by amazon.   This also means you can load apps not designed for the kindle, not guarenteed to run on the kindle, and in a possible worst case, damaging to the kindle.   As with all such, proceed at your own risk.

Contributor

Just got my new Fire HD 8.9, and the Xfinity app was right in the app store on the device.  Other than the bs blocking of connecting to stream via hdmi, the app works just fine.  Maybe it just came out?

Contributor
rbsteinkx

Mfinally showed up in Amazon!    Thank you!

New Visitor
larrycnw

the app is now part of the Kindle App Store .... woohoo ... deleted the old and installed the new all are working great..

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

I can now announce that the XFINITY TV Player App has been released in the Amazon Store:

http://www.amazon.com/Comcast-Interactive-Media-XFINITY-Player/dp/B00AOA9BL0/ref=sr_1_22?s=mobile-ap...

Thank you for your patience and feedback,

Joe

Visitor

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your answer about the Player app.  Do you know what the plans are for the regular TV app (the one with the guide and cable box/DVR control)?

New Visitor
wilyone

Loaded the xfinity app to my kindle fire HD. Tried to play some TV, but it says I need to load an Adobe player and then showed a list to linux players. Which one do I load--if not, what should I do?

New Visitor
Moserod

I just went to the site you indicated.   There is an x beside my Kindle fires....which means that the app indicated will not work.

Do you have one that will?  if so how do I get it?

Contributor
norgor42

My Kindle Fire HD will only stream for 45seconds or so while running the Xfinity TV GO app.

Tried removing, downloading and re-installing the app followed by rebooting the Kindle, same results.  Comcast says they'll get back to me.  Anyone out there with this problem?

New Visitor

norgor, I have this same problem.  Sometimes it says it's buffering, other times it just chokes and stops on a black screen.  I tried using my own router, but I have Xfinity / Comcast broadband internet, so I connected to xfinity wireless-same results.  If anyone knows a solution for this problem, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

Jeff

New Visitor
coppersmom1

My husbands is doing the same thing- buffering, buffering, play for a bit, more buffering..lock up etc. We were still under warranty so they thought perhaps it was the Kindle and sent him a new one (Kindle Fire HD 8.9) he tried them side by side today and they do the same thing. Doesn't matter whether it is on his wifi at work or ours at home that is a lot stronger signal. It may be a tad better at home but still keeps dropping the wifi signal when all other devices will keep running.
New Visitor
jb8823

My Xfinity TV app also keeeps buffering. I have the same app on my I phone 5 and us it on the same wifi network and it works fine. Software needs an update to deal with issue.

New Visitor
wddemarchi

The app works on my kindle fire but even though I subscribe to premium channels(ie: HBO,Showtime), it tells me I need a subscription to access them on the Kindle. Even some non premium channels are not avaliable to me.

Contributor
norgor42

I have received a Kindle Fire HD this past Christmas 2013, loaded the TV GO app and after seven months still can't get the TV GO app to stream TV for longer than 20 seconds before the Kindle goes into "video buffering" and then freezes.  The Netflix app works fine.  Called the  tech folks @ Amazon & Xfinity.  Each blame each other. After several calls I did reach a Xfinity tech who unofficially told me the TV GO app is not compatible with the Kindle Fire HD, the Amazon folks don't know what's wrong.  So what's really going on?

norgor