New Visitor
JWHIII

Windows 8?

Do you have any plans to release an XFinity streaming app for Windows 8?  It'd be nice to have a streaming app I can access from my desktop computer's home screen.  Yes, I know it's possible to stream through the browser, but I find an app to be cleaner.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Windows 8?

comcast has released no apps for windows phone 7 and they always just say our product teams are always looking into new ways.   windows 8 is not by any means a stellar release for microsoft its not being well received just read an article today. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

JWHIII wrote:

Do you have any plans to release an XFinity streaming app for Windows 8?  It'd be nice to have a streaming app I can access from my desktop computer's home screen.  Yes, I know it's possible to stream through the browser, but I find an app to be cleaner.

We are evaluating our options for our mobile apps on all platforms. This is a constant research effort based on market conditions, customer responses, and technology changes.

As for a Windows 8 app, there is no timetable at this time.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
Lagrik

Please release a windows 8 app. A windows phone app would also be geeat.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

why do you need a windows 8 app when you can access it the same from your browser, what good does an app on the desktop do that is different.

New Visitor
Lagrik

rog286713 wrote:

why do you need a windows 8 app when you can access it the same from your browser, what good does an app on the desktop do that is different.

That's what I've been doing.  But apps are more touch friendly.  That's the entire reason apps exist. In the meantime, I have been using the website, but again, it's not touch friendly.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

touch friendly?   so an app on the desktop that is nothing more than a shortcut to the website would be better than you just making your own shortcut and putting it as a tile yourself?  seems they do the exact same thing.   you do know you can make your own xfinity tile and just touch it to go to the site correct?

New Visitor
Lagrik

rog286713 wrote:

touch friendly?   so an app on the desktop that is nothing more than a shortcut to the website would be better than you just making your own shortcut and putting it as a tile yourself?  seems they do the exact same thing.   you do know you can make your own xfinity tile and just touch it to go to the site correct?

Obviously I am not requesting them to make an app that is just a shortcut to the website. I want a full featured application that has touch friendly support with support dvr management and streaming.

New Visitor
PureEvil

The browser application works with Silverlight, and that works if you're not running Windows 8 RT.  Which means that some of the more compelling Windows 8 devices running on ARM processors, such as:

Microsoft Surface

ASUS VivoTab RT

Dell XPS 10

Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11

Samsung ATIV Tab

That get great battery life... are not able to stream through XfinityTV.  Also, once you get a Windows 8 application working, it's not significantly more work to get the Windows Phone application running.

-Frank.

New Visitor
PureEvil

Joe,

And also, to allow you to evaluate your options for your mobile apps on all platforms...  Windows 8 sales topped 40 million during its first month:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2017296/microsoft-40-million-windows-8-licenses-sold.html

I'm not sure any other mobile platform has had larger sales.

-Frank.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713
New Visitor
PureEvil

[ Edited ]

http://news.yahoo.com/ipad-mini-could-push-total-holiday-ipad-sales-114006673.html

So...  30 million for Q4, about 3/4 of Windows 8 sales for one month?