Visitor
Michael954

Xfinity Player and Remote apps not working on iPad1 IOS 5.1.1

The Xfinity Player and Remote apps are not working properly on my iPad1, running IOS 5.1.1. I first loaded the Player app, logged in with my primary Comcast/Xfinity account, and tried to watch several movies. Every movie I selected crashed immediately with the error "Sorry, we've experienced some difficulty playing your video". This happens on every movie, every time.

After reading through several forum posts, I decided to install the Remote app, as others stated that that app has the same movie-streaming capability and lineup. After loading that app and logging in with my primary account, I tried to launch several movies, none of which would play. After digging through more forum posts, I came across a post from a user (not a Comcast/Xfinity support person) who stated that, after their multiple discussions with Comcast/Xfinity support, they were able to get movies to play by manually setting their zip code and selecting their provider in the settings (*Note to Comcast/Xfinity - if this is a requirement, it should be part of the initial app setup process, not something you have dig through forum posts to discover). After switching from the auto-generated 'Comcast Recommended Lineup' to my actual zip code/provider, I tried to launch a movie. This time, the movie played...IN SPANISH. Launched another movie. SPANISH. The info menu on ANY movie I play comes up as '(Movie Title) Esp Dub'.

I went through all of your general troubleshooting steps, with both apps, in an attempt to resolve the issue. Log out, log back in - same problems on both. Log out, reboot, log back in - same problems on both. Log out, uninstall, reboot, reinstall, log back in, same problems on both. I have scoured the settings menus in both apps and have found nothing to resolve either issue with either app. 

I then contacted chat support, who opened a ticket for me. I then got a follow-up voicemail asking me if everything is fixed now. It is not. I have not returned the call as of yet.

I have seen recommendations from Comcast/Xfinity support people in the forums to 'try another WiFi connection'. This is not the issue - I have tested the Player app with an Android tablet, on the same WiFi, and it works perfectly. The Android version of the app even gives you the option to view each movie in either English or Spanish, whereas the iPad app does not.

I have also tried watching movies on my laptop, using my primary account, which works perfectly.

I have seen multiple forum posts about these issues, several that end with a tech saying something to the effect of 'we will look into it and update this thread'. Some have been sitting for months with no update. In the Apple app store, as of right now, the Player app has a rating of 2 stars out of 5, with 135 5-star ratings, and 490 1-star ratings. The Remote app has a rating of 2.5 stars, with 124 5-star ratings and 253 1-star ratings. Many of the negative reviews in the app store are due to the issues I have listed here, as well as others.

I, and I'm sure others with the same issues who are looking for answers beyond 'reboot, reinstall, try again, we'll look into it', would appreciate it if someone from support would provide some assistance in this thread, and see it through to resolution.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Xfinity Player and Remote apps not working on iPad1 IOS 5.1.1

you are way behind in your ios version new version is 6.1 I think you are three or 4 versions behind.   You should upgrade.    

I have the new ipad with the most updated software and both apps work perfectly for me no issues at all.   Remember only people with issues post.

send a pm to comcastjoe and let him look at your account to see what is up.   Also you can only have 3 mobile devices per account are you over that number?

The opinions expressed by me on this forum are mine only as a customer. I do not work for comcast nor do I represent them in any way.

Visitor
Michael954

First off, I have an iPad1. IOS 5.1.1 is the latest IOS for iPad1. That point is irrelevant, however, considering that the Player and Remote apps are advertised as supporting any iPad running IOS 5 and up. You should become more familiar with system requirements.

Secondly, no, I am not over the limit on devices. 1 iPad running Player and Remote, 1 Android tablet running Player.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

good luck with your issue.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Michael954 wrote:

First off, I have an iPad1. IOS 5.1.1 is the latest IOS for iPad1. That point is irrelevant, however, considering that the Player and Remote apps are advertised as supporting any iPad running IOS 5 and up. You should become more familiar with system requirements.

Secondly, no, I am not over the limit on devices. 1 iPad running Player and Remote, 1 Android tablet running Player.

What are the movies that are playing in Spanish only? I would like to further look into this.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Visitor
Michael954

It happens on every movie in the Remote app. Moneyball, Pirates of the Caribbean-Stranger Tides, Cars 2, etc. Any and every movie I try.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Michael954 wrote:

It happens on every movie in the Remote app. Moneyball, Pirates of the Caribbean-Stranger Tides, Cars 2, etc. Any and every movie I try.

Please use the XFINITY TV Player App to view these movies.

We are in the process of moving all Play Now videos to the XFINITY TV Player App. We are soon releasing messaging in the XFINITY TV App that Play Now will no longer be available in that app.

Having two apps opposed to one will help improve the performance in both apps

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

Contributor
Mrsrun

I have an iPad2 running on iOS 6.1 and recently started to experience the same PROBLEM with both the Xfinity Remote and Xfinity Player Apps trying to stream movies over wifi.  I get the HBO or Cinamax intro screen, then it freezes at "video will resume in 8 sec."  The strange thing is that both apps work fine on my home wifi, but not at a public wifi.  (Same wifi they previously worked, until recently!) So beware, just because yours is currently working fine doesn't mean you're immune.....just wait!

New Visitor

My problem is similar.  Using an iPad 2 with the most up to date software and the Xfinity app, I can no longer connect to my Bluetooth speaker while using the voice/ phone function.  The Bluetooth connection works with all other apps running on the iPad, just not during phone use.  Is there a setting within the Xfinity app that I haven't yet found to activate this connection?