New Visitor
jimgh

xfinity TV On Demand Online - iPad

I am able to play On Demand shows on my PC but am unable to Play On Demand shows on my iPad (I can only Play, Play Now).

I do have the iPad xfinity TV app loaded. It shows the On Demand shows and shows them as free but, no Play button. Is there no capability to stream them on iPad or, do I need to change a setting?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: xfinity TV On Demand Online - iPad

jimgh wrote:

I am able to play On Demand shows on my PC but am unable to Play On Demand shows on my iPad (I can only Play, Play Now).

I do have the iPad xfinity TV app loaded. It shows the On Demand shows and shows them as free but, no Play button. Is there no capability to stream them on iPad or, do I need to change a setting?

Are you looking under the On Demand tab or the Play Now tab? The Play Now tab is where you can find content to watch on your iPad.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
gsteiner

Joe,

Just to clarify, using the Xfinity TV app, you are able to view the "Play Now" shows, but you are *not* able to view "OnDemand" shows on an iPad/iPhone?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

gsteiner wrote:

Joe,

Just to clarify, using the Xfinity TV app, you are able to view the "Play Now" shows, but you are *not* able to view "OnDemand" shows on an iPad/iPhone?

Play Now is all the content that is available to watch on your phone. If it is not under Play Now, it is not available to watch throught he app.

Our content team is constantly working to bring you a wider selection of TV Shows and movies. We add new content daily, but due to licensing agreements, we may not have every movie/show/episode available for viewing.

Some content we are allowed to show online that the content owners don't allow yet On Demand and vice versa.

Thanks,
Joe

Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why does Comcast send this message:

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App.

Please download the XFINITY TV App from iTunes in order to watch your subscription's On Demand shows and movies anywhere.

if you can't use it to watch your subscription's On Demand shows?

Not to mention, I can watch these shows online if I'm on a desktop at home.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

12xuser wrote:

Why does Comcast send this message:

Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App.

Please download the XFINITY TV App from iTunes in order to watch your subscription's On Demand shows and movies anywhere.

if you can't use it to watch your subscription's On Demand shows?

Not to mention, I can watch these shows online if I'm on a desktop at home.

You only can watch videos through the Xfinity TV App on an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch as of now. 

If you have a compatible device, please install the Xfinity TV App and when in the app, please click the Play Now tab to browse the available content.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
Rblaknyc

Trying to watch play now content and am getting a "no wifi. Must have wifi to watch videos" mesage but I am connected to wireless - typing right now - is it to weak or slow? Is this a Comcast or iPad message.
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Rblaknyc wrote:
Trying to watch play now content and am getting a "no wifi. Must have wifi to watch videos" mesage but I am connected to wireless - typing right now - is it to weak or slow? Is this a Comcast or iPad message.

Can you try another wireless network and see if you have better results? This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
Rblaknyc

After about 30 minutes of scratching my head it suddenly started working again (it had worked in the past). There was no change in location or settings so my hypothesis goes to some sort of signal strength? At same time I couldn't use play now I also couldn't use on demand on iPad and both started working again at same time? A few months ago I was had DVR problems on a few evening that seemed to occur around 10 pm and then solve themselves around 1130 pm. Never got to bottom of those - just solved itself. Lastly, would other wireless activity impact this? There are others in the hh using the same wireless network (but not tv) Hope this helps. Xing fingers this stays working - but frustrating to miss out on relaxing evening watching what I want.
Visitor
Rblaknyc

Oh, yeah, thank you for your efforts!
New Visitor
Balimom3g

Is it possible to watch OnDemand content from the xfinitytv app?  I can see all the OnDemand shows but there is no play button to actually watch them.  I am able to watch Play Now movies and shows.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Balimom3g wrote:

Is it possible to watch OnDemand content from the xfinitytv app?  I can see all the OnDemand shows but there is no play button to actually watch them.  I am able to watch Play Now movies and shows.

Play Now movies and shows are the only videos that are available to watch on your device or tablet. From the Xfinity TV App, you can select an On Demand show and it will appear on your TV but you cannot watch an On Demand program on the app.

We understand that the content On Demand and on the app are not the same and that's because some content we are allowed to show on the app that the content owners don't allow yet On Demand and vice versa.

What content would you like to see added on the app?

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
downwinder

In response to your question about content:  Family Guy.

Recognized Contributor

It would help if Comcast didn't tell us that we could watch stuff on the iPad that isn't available:

"Please download the XFINITY TV App from iTunes in order to watch your subscription's On Demand shows and movies anywhere."

Is there anything in that statement that would lead me to believe that I couldn't watch everything on the iPad?  This is just dishonest, and leads to a big waste of your customers' time, trying to do something that is not possible.:smileyangry:

New Visitor
mpb2000

The xfinity tv app specifically advertises that you can watch On Demand shows directly on your iPad! http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/internet/mobile-tv-app/ From this site: "Introducing a revolutionary new way to watch TV. With the XFINITY TV app, you can watch your favorite On Demand shows and movies right on your iPad® - and now on iPhone® and iPod touch®. Plus, use your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Android™ as your remote control, to search On Demand and TV listings and to schedule your DVR when you're away from home. Watch your favorite On Demand shows on your iPad anytime, anywhere with a WiFi connection. You can watch on your iPhone and iPod touch too!" If that's not false advertising, I don't know what is. I know not all programming is allowed on mobile devices, but then why would you make statements like this? Matt
Visitor
DaveNovak1961

I too am seeing the same issue: nothing under On Demand can be played on the iPad.  What a disappointment, but seemingly par for the course with Comcast (always promising more than they actually deliver).

What makes no sense is that I can watch these "On Demand" shows from my computer, but not my iPad.  Of course attempting to watch them through Safari on the iPad pulls up the error "Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App".  Why say that if it can't actually be played on the iPad?!?

Can ANYTHING under On Demand be played from an iPad on the iPad?  If so, what?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

DaveNovak1961 wrote:

I too am seeing the same issue: nothing under On Demand can be played on the iPad.  What a disappointment, but seemingly par for the course with Comcast (always promising more than they actually deliver).

What makes no sense is that I can watch these "On Demand" shows from my computer, but not my iPad.  Of course attempting to watch them through Safari on the iPad pulls up the error "Video can only be played through the XFINITY TV App".  Why say that if it can't actually be played on the iPad?!?

Can ANYTHING under On Demand be played from an iPad on the iPad?  If so, what?

Programs that are under the On Demand tab just shows if it is On Demand or not.

Programs under the Play Now tab are programs that are available to watch on your iPad.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
DaveNovak1961

[ Edited ]

Programs under the Play Now tab are programs that are available to watch on your iPad.

Sorry ComcastJoe, but that really doesn't mean anything to me.  From my (admittedly limited) perusal of available shows, On Demand simply means "cannot watch on iPad; must use TV or computer".  There doesn't appear to be any overlap between On Demand and Play Now.  

On the contrary, I think that 

1. A licensing issue (where Comcast is currently not "allowed" to stream certain shows) or
    2. Comcast is being cheap and would rather not waste the bandwith needed to feed all iPad users (but still wants to talk up the marketing hype for "iPad anytime, anywhere").  

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

DaveNovak1961 wrote:

Sorry ComcastJoe, but that really doesn't mean anything to me.  From my (admittedly limited) perusal of available shows, On Demand simply means "cannot watch on iPad; must use TV or computer".  There doesn't appear to be any overlap between On Demand and Play Now.  

On the contrary, I think that 

1. A licensing issue (where Comcast is currently not "allowed" to stream certain shows) or
    2. Comcast is being cheap and would rather not waste the bandwith needed to feed all iPad users (but still wants to talk up the marketing hype for "iPad anytime, anywhere").  

Each medium has to be licensed and some content providers do not allow their content on mobile devices yet. Some networks do not allow their programs to be shown anywhere; even On Demand.

On Demand has been around the longest followed by online viewing then watching videos on mobile devices and tablets. Since this is the newer technology, many networks are still internally discussing the best ways to distribute their content. 

We are working with all networks trying to get their content on all mediums (On Demand, online, mobile phones/tablets).

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
DaveNovak1961

[ Edited ]

ComcastJoe wrote:

Each medium has to be licensed and some content providers do not allow their content on mobile devices yet. Some networks do not allow their programs to be shown anywhere; even On Demand.

Thanks, ComcastJoe, that's a much better answer.  I have since had others confirm that the main issue/holdup is with the licensor (usually networks), as licensing is done per medium not per show or cable provider.  

I just hope that these networks begin to realize this seemingly obvious inconsistency, where it's "OK" to stream a show on the computer, but not on a tablet device.  Instead, they need change their licensing to include streaming for all wireless/connected devices.  After all, an iPhone, iPad, or other tablets are simply small computers.  So what really is the difference?  From an end-user perspective, it makes a big difference (one of comfort and/or convenience) to be able stream to a portable device.

Thanks for clarifying . . . and listening!

New Visitor

I have been trying several times trying to watch a Play Now tv show and and every time it tells me to download

the XFINITY TV app, which I already have on my IPad. I go there and it emediately tells me I cana watch it on either one of my TVs.But it refuses to allow me to watch it on the IPad and tells me I need the App to watch it.

I have the IPad 3  64 G and expect better quality from the Ipad

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

dsingh wrote:

I have been trying several times trying to watch a Play Now tv show and and every time it tells me to download

the XFINITY TV app, which I already have on my IPad. I go there and it emediately tells me I cana watch it on either one of my TVs.But it refuses to allow me to watch it on the IPad and tells me I need the App to watch it.

I have the IPad 3  64 G and expect better quality from the Ipad

While in the XFINITY TV App, click the Play Now tab to browse through all the available content that you can watch on iPad.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
nbrannick

[ Edited ]

In response to the question about what we would like to see added: i would like to access TLC network and Nickelodeon. 

New Visitor
etski

I too would like to see nick and other kids content available on the iPad.  My daughter loves Dara the explorer and Elmo /sesame street, all of which I can se on demand at home or on my computer, but apparently not on my iPads.   Tech support seems clueless, as does your sales & marketing departments.  I received amailing just today which claims" xfinity on demand gives you thousands of movies, shows and more to watch on your tv, on your laptop, tablet or smartphone - and 90% are free". This seems like false advertising to me!   

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

New Visitor
Vivaler

I would love if you could arrange for the series Once Upon A Time to show through the app. it's easier to watch on the iPad sometimes than a desktop.

New Visitor
tmlsfo

i would like to watch the world series on channel 2 from my ipad.  it doesn't seem like the app allows live shows?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

tmlsfo wrote:

i would like to watch the world series on channel 2 from my ipad.  it doesn't seem like the app allows live shows?

The only way you will be able to watch live TV on your iPad is with AnyPlay. Go here to learn more about AnyPlay:

http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/Comcast/VideoMicrosites/AnyPlay/index.aspx

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Wicks703

I just got second DVD in house same as first and after 3 days, doesn't see DVR in my app.  How do I add?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Wicks703 wrote:

I just got second DVD in house same as first and after 3 days, doesn't see DVR in my app.  How do I add?

What is the make and models of your cable boxes?

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Wicks703

they are both MOTOROLA MOR200BN

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Wicks703 wrote:

they are both MOTOROLA MOR200BN

Our team is looking into your issue now. Someone will contact via phone within the next 72 hours. If they do not reach you, they will leave a message so please check your messages.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Mcdave67

I cannot watch any shows during this free watchaton from my iPad. Example, trying to watch Banshee on Cinemax.
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

[ Edited ]

Mcdave67 wrote:
I cannot watch any shows during this free watchaton from my iPad. Example, trying to watch Banshee on Cinemax.

Free online and XFINITY TV Player App availability of HBO and Cinemax will not start until March 27, but all HBO and Cinemax series will be available with XFINITY On Demand the entire Watchathon week.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
dkaragon

Interested in seeing Bravo on this as well.

New Visitor
New Visitor
Kw9

[ Edited ]
I'm getting the "a subscription is required..." Message for every show I try to watch via the xfinity TV app on my iPad. I'm on the watchathon page but nothing plays. I tried Game of Thrones and then Downton Abbey as a test. I watched that on my tv. Does the iPad play anything?? I logged in and out and restarted the iPad.
New Visitor
New Visitor
Kw9

[ Edited ]
Never mind I got it
New Visitor
Sonny1216

In the play now function a key and play icon appears when I choose episodes
New Visitor
kristiemh

Does this app work everywhere or only at your home? Can it be used traveling etc? If not, what app can be?
Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

kristiemh wrote:
Does this app work everywhere or only at your home? Can it be used traveling etc? If not, what app can be?

You can watch it in other places outside your home.

New Visitor

I did that and that is why I posted a message.
New Visitor
Witt90

I can't play anything from xfinity on my iPad. I go to the play now section, and get a show to pop up. But, they all have the orange blocker buttons that won't depress when pushed. I used to be able to watch shows. What am I doing wrong?
New Visitor
lisag5

Ya and I'd like to know why you can't watch the bravo channel on the xfinity tv app too!  I can get it on my computer from the xfinity website but not from the xfinity tv app - doesn't make sense???