New Visitor
jburst

xfinity tv iPad app: Play Now gives "Network Unavailable" error

When I try to use the "Play Now" function on the xfinity tv iPad app, I get this error whenever I try click "Play":

"Network Unavailable. Please check your internet connection or proxy settings and try again."

This is on an iPad sitting on my home network -- no proxy, strong signal. No other network issues on the iPad (I can browse, use Netflix streaming, etc.). I tried signing out and signing back in, tried deleting the app and re-installing. I can browse all of the other content in the app, so the app itself is clearly connecting to the network just fine -- it just can't play any content.

Any ideas? Anyone else see this error?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Re: xfinity tv iPad app: Play Now gives "Network Unavailable" error

I'm not having that specific error, but I currently (2pm EST Sunday) am getting no sound whatsoever in the Xfinity TV iPad app using Play Now.

I've tried three different movies. I've rebooted my iPad. I checked for a new version. I will probably resort to deleting the app and reinstalling. But maybe not given your experience. 

Something is flaky. But I have to go do something else.

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

My problem was physical mute slider switch turned on. I didn't know it existed. Music would play.

Is the original poster still seeing a problem or was it temporary?

Contributor
dragynx

I am having the exact same problem.  I called Comacast and they were no help, basically giving me the run around for days and never following back up.  One support rep even said it wasnt working because the Play Now feature was not available in my area. I did all the same trouble shooting steps you did.  

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

There are two problems mentioned in this thread. Mine was mostly that the "lock orientation" slider is now the "mute slider". Last I checked, I could watch a few movies using Play Now even though I don't subscribe to any premium channels. However, I do need to sign on to my Comcast account. 

I did remove the app from my iPad and reinstall it from iTunes on my computer.

The other user, jburst, was getting a "Network Unavailable" message after doing various troubleshooting. I don't know if they are still experiencing that. 

dragynx, are you saying you are getting that "Network Unavailable" error? Have you totally quit the app? It's my understanding that the Play Now feature is available throughout the country. 

I'm a customer like you trying to get it to work.

Contributor
dragynx

Yes, I get the  "Network Unavailable" error.  I've uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted the IPad (hard reboot), logged out, logged in, I can stream Hulu and youtube, I can stream Xfinity to my computer (in fact the very same shows I am trying to stream on the Ipad), so it is something with the Ipad. I select "Play Now" and then see this error.

Saying that the reason for my problems was due to it not being availble in my area was silly.  It would be like saying that you can't get CNN.com in California.  I wouldnt accept that and my ticket got escalated...but still remains unresolved.

The best part was I started the issue via email, went to web chat, from web chat got a phone number to call, called that number, went through 2 days of trouble shooting, and finally they said they couldnt help me and gave me a number to call, the number they gave was the very one I called to get that support group!   

For how much we pay per month for Comcast, we should get better customer service than that...

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

It sounds like you've done everything that you can. I just checked, and I can get something to Play Now.

I'm going to escalate this to the forum administrators. Maybe they can pull some strings.

New Visitor
jburst

Short update: I was travelling this week and tried the app from a hotel internet connection, and "Play Now" worked just fine. But at home I still get the "Network Unavailable" error.

Comcast engineers: how about some hints on what causes this error?

Web Page Expert
BethKatz

Hmmm. Good idea to test it like that.

I'm guessing you are using a wireless router. Is it new or older? Have you updated its firmware? I'm asking because several years ago I had a weird error in using FTP. I didn't know routers had firmware that could be updated. Most things would work, but I ran into something where my router wasn't communicating correctly with the Comcast server. Updating the firmware fixed it.

With a normal computer, you could bypass the router and connect directly to the modem. But you can't do that with the iPad.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/networking/how-to-update-your-routers-firmware

Contributor
dragynx

Hi,

I got my "Network Unavailable" error resolved.   I use OpenDNS and point my wireless router to their DNS servers and for some reason they are blocking some of the DNS requests needed to stream.  When I set the iPad to use the Comcast DNS servers it works just fine. 

Check your wireless router, that is probably where your problem lies.   

New Visitor
jburst

dragynx, you're right -- it's DNS related. When I set the iPad to use the Comcast DNS servers instead of my router's, the Play Now feature works. Thanks for this!

What's odd is that my router isn't doing anything funky with DNS. I'm using DD-WRT on the router with the default configuration, and when dnsmasq is used for DNS, Play Now doesn't work. Bypass the router's DNS server, all's good. So dnsmasq must be eating or modifying something along the way, but what it is isn't clear.

Contributor
dragynx

Hi!  I'm using dd-wrt as well, hmm, maybe it is dd-wrt related and not openDNS related. 

New Visitor
Smolson

I can't get to the streaming part at all.  It says I need Adobe Flash Player which, to my knowledge, is not available on Ipad.  Any help?

Contributor
dragynx

Are you sure you're using the Xfinity iPad TV App?  Sounds like you're using Safari to get to Xfinity's website.  

New Visitor
gruvii

[ Edited ]

It appears that your iPad has to be using comcast's DNS servers. If you are using a home router it may be acting as a DNS server itself which the ap does not like. You can fix this on your router many different ways depending on your unique situation but fore people not really tech savy you can go to "Settings" on your Ipad and write down the settings that your router sets automatically. Then go to "Manual" settings and plug in the same information except change the DNS servers to the appropriate comcast servers listed on their page.

http://dns.comcast.net/dns-ip-addresses.php

:smileyhappy:

http://gruvii.net

New Visitor

@dragynx Thank you! I too use OpenDNS with DD-WRT on my wireless router and it is related to the router's DNSmasq settings.  When the router hands out the DHCP address it provides the iPad with the router's IP for the DNS server.  I changed it to OpenDNS' ip of 208.67.222.222 and it worked fine so it's DD-WRT not OpenDNS.

New Visitor
dumdou

I just added 75.75.75.75 Comcast dns in iPad network setting that's all no more "network unavailable" error or No need for ddwrt router dns change
New Visitor
Nadershirazi

Hello I found a solution that worked for me.
Go to settings and set the mute/toggle key from rotation lock to mute
Go back to your xfinity application and do a mute on mute
Increase and decrease the volume
All should be ok now
You can change back the lock key back to rotation lock if you want
Regular Contributor

Youse guys is geniuses! Wouldn't have thought DNS, but I'm up and running again! Thanks, everyone!
New Visitor
LoganSquareJohn

Hopefully this is a clear and easy answer for those using a wireless router with their Comcast modem who have been getting Network Unavailable message.

I use ww-drt firmware in my router.

I changed the static DNS in the router settings to my local Comcast DNS.

Look yours up.

http://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/usa/comcast.html 

I followed these instructions, but used my Comcast DNS servers rather than the OpenDNS.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/OpenDNS

Immediately, both our iPhone apps and iPad Xfinity apps are playing the PLAY NOW material from Xfinity.

Pretty rad.

Enjoy. 

New Visitor
jvlorenzen

Re: xfinity TV iPad app: Play Now gives "Network Unavailable" error

I have had the same problem, "network not available". Dan from Comcast tried some things and he was able to see it work with my credentials from and other network. I tried a local coffee shop and it sort of worked, ran further, but then I received the same error.

I removed my home router (dd-wrt) and replaced with my Airport Express. Then it worked.

I did a google search and found this. It is a DNS issue, but it has to do with dd-wrt and DNSMasq.

http://jpwhiteblog.net/2011/02/09/netflix-stalls-on-ipad-problem-resolved/

This link explains it and there are a couple of options around it. You do not need to use Comcasts DNS server.

HTH

James

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: Not able to play xfinity TV app on iPhone

firstladyhaze,

Please private message me the following information so I can further assist you.

We ask you to PM us because we don't want you to release private information in a public forum.

Your comcast.net e-mail address or Comcast ID user name:

Account Number:

Zip code:

Make and model of your set-top box:

Make and model of devices you are using:

Please also include a link to this thread so we can accurately track your issue.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support

New Visitor
jksbondski

Uninstall xfinity app. Hold finger on it till it shacks. Then press X. delete the app. Then go to app store or where ever to find the app an reinstall it. It worked for me to get rid of the error message.

Regular Contributor
adam_WM

I am getting the same issue ("Network unavailable") when using an ASUS TRANSFORMER on an xfinitywifi network. It used to work, but then one day, it just stopped working. I tried changing the DNS to Static as one poster mentioned, but it that didn't fix it. Help?