New Visitor
FEEDBACk-nut

Commercials whilst watching Xfinity Online

I pay for the service to watch tv - which should cover the cost of commercials.  Now I can expect them online too??

I'm ready to drop Xfinity just on the basis of the greed shown by putting those annoying commercials in the ONLINE content. 

Come on Comcast / Xfinity!  Is the cash more important that the customers enjoyment and quality of experience?   

Very, very annoying.

PLEASE- IF YOU FEEL EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF AGREEMENT,  SECOND MY OPINION

This will only change / stop if THOUSANDS voice the same frustrations....  look at the recent Bank of America recending of their charging $5 to use a debit card....

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Commercials whilst watching Xfinity Online

[ Edited ]

FEEDBACk-nut wrote:

Is the cash more important that the customers enjoyment and quality of experience?   

The answer to that is a resounding "yes". Cable TV has run on a dual revenue stream for 50 years. They get you to pay for the service and they get revenue from advertising. Ppl have accepted it as just a normal part of business. I can't see the cable industry giving up that second revenue stream.

I completely agree with you tho. I stopped watching broadcast TV a couple of years ago. When I watch TV with commercials now, I find it deeply annoying -- it makes me wonder how I put up with all that advertising for all those years. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

FEEDBACk-nut wrote:
I pay for the service to watch tv - which should cover the cost of commercials.  Now I can expect them online too??

I'm ready to drop Xfinity just on the basis of the greed shown by putting those annoying commercials in the ONLINE content. 

Come on Comcast / Xfinity!  Is the cash more important that the customers enjoyment and quality of experience?   

Very, very annoying.

PLEASE- IF YOU FEEL EVEN THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF AGREEMENT,  SECOND MY OPINION

This will only change / stop if THOUSANDS voice the same frustrations....  look at the recent Bank of America recending of their charging $5 to use a debit card....

To have the rights to put most shows online (or on the TV for that matter) we are required by the owners of those shows to put in ads. That's just the nature of the business. If we did not show the ads, simply we would not have the shows at all. The content owners would not give it to us and you could not watch them at all. You will notice that when you watch the same shows on TV they have ads, in many cases much more ads than we play online.

Some of our premium partners like HBO, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax and Starz all have ad free business models so you can watch their shows and movies without interruption.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
perrymlee

I pay about $20 a month for Netflix DVD and streaming subscription and I get to watch movies and television shows without commercials.  When I watch movies on Xfinity there are constant commercial interruptions.  Normally, I use an adblocker program and just browse the internet while the commercial timer runs in the background.  After paying Comcast about $70 a month, I'm beginning to wonder if this is worth it anymore.  For the record, I don't even own a TV, I watch all of my shows and movies online.  Your business model is becoming outdated.  So tell me, ComcastJoe, why should I continue to subscribe to Xfinity over Netflix?  What do you offer that they don't? Even Showtime and HBO programming is available on Netflix, even if I have to wait a little for the disks to come out.

New Visitor
Smaynor

You are taking too many liberties with intercepting the breaks on your TV episodes online.

Adding 3-3.5 minutes of commercial content , which is the same over and over 6 times in an episode is COMPLETE abuse.

I may never use your service again to catch up on some TV missed.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

perrymlee wrote:

I pay about $20 a month for Netflix DVD and streaming subscription and I get to watch movies and television shows without commercials.  When I watch movies on Xfinity there are constant commercial interruptions.  Normally, I use an adblocker program and just browse the internet while the commercial timer runs in the background.  After paying Comcast about $70 a month, I'm beginning to wonder if this is worth it anymore.  For the record, I don't even own a TV, I watch all of my shows and movies online.  Your business model is becoming outdated.  So tell me, ComcastJoe, why should I continue to subscribe to Xfinity over Netflix?  What do you offer that they don't? Even Showtime and HBO programming is available on Netflix, even if I have to wait a little for the disks to come out.

With XFINITY On Demand, you can keep up and catch up on the latest episodes of your favorite shows from NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX. The majority of Netflix's available streaming titles consist of older TV shows and movies; nothing like what XFINITY can give you.

Also, like you mentioned, you can watch a show from a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. the morning after it airs on TV.

New Visitor

My wife and I are both very annoyed about the commercials while watching a movie or series on Xfinity..If they don't stop, it's over between us and Comcast!!!! We pay for Xfinity...It's just greed on Comcasts part!

Bob Romans, Lodi, California, long-time Comcast user!

Bronze Star Contributor

ComcastJoe wrote:

perrymlee wrote:

With XFINITY On Demand, you can keep up and catch up on the latest episodes of your favorite shows from NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX. The majority of Netflix's available streaming titles consist of older TV shows and movies; nothing like what XFINITY can give you.

Actually Joe, Netflix gives me far more than XFinity gave me on demand. What Netflix does not provide, Hulu Plus did, and generally the entire current season, not just the three or four "latest" (if you don't count the last week or so) shows. In a situation where recordings got lost due to DVR malfunctions or space limitations, I relied more on Hulu and Neftlix than XFinity's on demand.