New Visitor
pdevlin89

Netflix Super HD?

I understand that the data cap that this ISP limits is 250 GB a month and with my family being a heavy internet oriented household between gaming and Netflix streaming every day we consume a good majority of that cap. Will Comcast be joining Netflix Super HD for the benefit of 1080p streaming and push the data cap a little higher to compensate for it?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Netflix Super HD?

[ Edited ]

Its only for cablevision and google fiber right now, there currently is no data cap with comcast.

New Visitor
pdevlin89

[ Edited ]

https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

EDIT

thanks for the quick reply

I understand it says the limit has been suspended but the usage meter still says 250GB so im a little optimistic weather or not they fully have gotten rid of it

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its gone except for a few markets that are testing the new 300gb cap

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]
New Visitor
pdevlin89

Im not concerned about the data cap in general. If the teared cap you just referred me to is to be the new set limit im fine with that. My question(which would need to be answered by a Comcast rep) is will we be joining Netflix Super HD? I favor my Netflix over my cable tv and the better quality picture bump to 1080p would be fantastic

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

You could try sending a email here

we_can_help@comcast.com and asking. Not many Comcast employees on the forums all the time and they don't monitor all the threads.

If you see a user name in Red that is a Comcast employee. You could click on the username and on the next page is a link to send a Private Message.

New Visitor
greekmike

Ok Comcast. I live in Miami and you are very close to the NAP of the Americas. When will I be able to stream 1080p Netflix? I am a business class customer. 

Mike

New Visitor
pdevlin89

Thanks commanguy I will try that..
As most people see they are asking the subscribers of the ISP to ask forward to make it happen for them. I'm highly interested in this and want to see it happen.
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

XFINITY Internet is currently not compatible with this feature. 

There is no other information at this time. When more information about this becomes available, we will update this thread.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
KNAW1016

I would love to have an answer on this as well.  Many of us have 3D TVs that will play higher def than what's supplied via cable...and would actually like to stream 3D as well.  Comcast is the blocker here.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

"not compatible"?! What the heck does that mean? It's data. What's different about this data from any other data that comes down the pipe?

Sounds like a non-answer to me.

I think a more real answer would be that the equipment to facilitate the streams has not been installed in Comcast's network, and that why should Comcast allow that installation given that they have their own streaming product? This appears to be more about Comcast protecting their own product than anything else.

New Visitor
1arun1

Considering netflix is giving out open connect connectivity plus hardware, implementation and maintenance for free. I think it is just comcast who does not want to implement.

https://signup.netflix.com/openconnect

excerpt from deployment guide FAQ:

"What does the appliance cost my organization?
The appliances (and any necessary replacements) are provided to participating
ISPs free of charge when used within the terms of the license agreement."

New Visitor
ReSultZ

They just mad netflix offers a better movie watching product.
New Visitor
mohanrajd

Netflix SuperHD

I am hoping some from Comcast customer service can answer this. I am very interested in receiving SuperHD streams from Netflix. 

This page (https://signup.netflix.com/superhd) states that "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." When would comcast enable SuperHD support for comcast internet customers?

Bronze Star Contributor

ReSultZ wrote:
They just mad netflix offers a better movie watching product.

Comcast has a history of pretty much snubbing 3rd party streaming devices/services.  For example HBO2GO is available for streaming to set top boxes (Roku, etc) with most cable companies, but not Comcast (Xbox 360 is an exception because Microsoft gave Comcast cash).  Epix HD?  Nope, not with Comcast.

Even if Netflix paid Comcast, I don't see Comcast ever supporting Netflix's Super HD/3D.  Comcast would rather push their Streampix service, so it doesn't matter if Netflix provides everything for free to Comcast.

On a side note, Time Warner said they are going to add this.

New Visitor
rxescobar

Joe, as a Business class Internet customer, I want to know if and when Comcast will partner with Netflix to provdide Super HD and 3D streaming for their Netflix customers? I can understand from a competitive point of view you wouldn't want to undercut your own streaming programs. However, from a customer content value point of value to be able to support multiple streaming platforms only makes your service more compelling.
http://www.netflix.com/superhd

New Visitor
rxescobar

For what it's worth. I just sent a PM to Comcast Joe re: this topic. See my previous post. However, collectively, we need to make our voices and wishes heard re: the addition of this service. Thanks

New Visitor
SpacePsych

I emailed we_can_help@comcast.com saying:

"I am interested in Netflix SuperHD which requires cooperation from my ISP (Comcast).

Here's more information:
https://signup.netflix.com/superhd

Many other members would like this too, see your forums:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Netflix-Super-HD/td-p/1534709"

Hopefully if enough people email, they will be forced to offer this service.

New Visitor
computergeek973

Thats not cool, for the price I get charged every month, if comcast does not get on bored with it going to have to switch ISP, Netflix is even putting in the servers for free, Comcast just likes to control everything 

New Visitor
nancyonmedia

NETFLIX is offering hardware designs for free and they say they offer free storage appliances to ISPs. But... does everyone really think that they would pop to put extremely large storage systems in every Comcast head end?

Comcast is one of the largest internet providers in the US. They don't turn quickly. Look at Xfinity On Demand on TiVo which is now available in only 21 markets. This isn't a big deal, it's a software change at the head end, but it's not fully out.

If folks think that Comcast doesn't respond to market pressures your wrong. TiVo integration is not as profitable as renting DVRs but it saves customers from going to satellite for better DVRs. 50Mbps Blast level service saves customers from going to FiOS.

The moment Verizon hooks up to Open Connect (also a big job) Comcast will make it a priority.

http://nancyonmedia.com

New Visitor
Human_Being

Thanks for the info Joe. Just so you know, I'm another one of your customers that would like to have access to the Netflix SuperHD. In general I feel like I'm paying Comcast/Xfinity a premium monthly fee for fast internet access and, I'd like to be able to take full advantage of all the features that speed can make available.  

New Visitor
Sarfdawg

For the record, as I search for movies on my Samsung SmartTV via Netflix, many of them are showing SuperHD.  I too am getting the message saying that my ISP isn't configured for SuperHD. Not sure whether they are coming in at 1080p, but they look every bit as good as Blu Ray. 

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

Netflix Super HD

Comcast: When can we expect to see Super HD on Netflix?
Contributor
techguy58

I think it's pretty obvious many of your internet subscribers stream Netflix and have Full HD (1080p) capable streaming media players and televisions. I know I'm one... and I want to be able to stream 1080p from Netflix. I think their Open Connect CDN solution makes perfect sense and should be opted into by Comcast.

Comcast should realize that On Demand and Streampix, while viable services, are NOT going to replace or even seriously compete with Netflix at any point in the foreseeable future.

Someone... probably at a Vice-President level needs to get serious and stop deluding themselves into thinking that On Demand and Streampix are competitive with Netflix. They are NOT. I believe it is in the best interest of Comcast as a company to give it's subscribers what they want.

OPT IN to Netflix Open Connect CDN and allow us to stream 1080p from Netflix.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

RIGHT ON

New Visitor
NICE-NIPS

Re: Netflix Super HD with Comcast/Xfinity? I have it!!

<br>Hello everybody, I have been reading all of your posts and the only reason I started researching this is because I wondered what the heck "SUPER HD" meant because when I am on my 60" LED Samsung 8000 SmartTv and using the Netflix App, I would say about 80 to 90% of all shows and movies show up as "SUPER HD", But when I go to my bedroom and I am using my 42" Sony XBR plasma and using my PS3 I do not get "SUPER HD" on anything. Why is this when I have Comcast Internet and I am using a Belkin N+ wireless router which is connected to my old school Comcast Internet modem which I get speeds of 60 to 70 Mb download and 20 to 30 Mb upload. I am located in Richmond Virginia and I would love to take pictures of everything and show you guys somehow so someone please reply and tell me what I should do or if you have an answer please tell me!! Thank you and XFinity continues to impress me each and every day and I cannot wait for the ULTRA SLEEK &amp; VISUAL Xfinity X1 TV Guide platform to arrive in Richmond in less than five months!! Has anyone had a chance to see it or use it yet? I also sell and repair and customize iPhones/iPads and all Apple products and in large quantities so if anyone would like to get a hold of me here is my contact information below. <br><br>Adam Hipp<br>President | HippTech Solutions, LLC<br>Main: (855) BUY-HIPP | Fax: (855) 289-HIPP | Direct: (804) 517-5836<br>Email: adam@hipp.ws | SKYPE: HippTech | Twitter: @HippTech<br><a href="http://www.hipptechsolutions.com" target="_blank">www.hipptechsolutions.com</a><br>Sent from my iPhone 5 128GB
Contributor
techguy58

Re: Netflix Super HD with Comcast/Xfinity? I have it!!

I believe it is a matter of the particular Netfilx App being used. The 'App' is the software code being executed on the device you are using to stream Netflix. The App on your Samsung 8000 SmartTv is different from the App on your PS3. They both stream Netflix, but they are different programs with slightly different interfaces. I suspect the App on your Samsung is somewhat newer than on the PS3 and was written / developed AFTER Super HD was announced.

As far as whether or not you are actually streaming in Super HD (also known as Full HD - 1080p), that is another question. I suspect you are not. There should be a way on each TV to display the actual video resolution while actually streaming a movie.

You can also go to the Netflix website on a browser and check https://signup.netflix.com/superhd. That page will tell you if your provider has opted into the Netflix Open Connect Content Delivery Network. If not, Netflix will NOT stream Super HD to your particular IP address. At this point, it's pretty much a pi**ing contest between Comcast and Netflix. I personally hope Netflix gets their way and Comcast decides to opt in to the Netflix Open Connect CDN so that we, the customers, can get our 1080p streaming.

Time will tell.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

Comcast won’t join Open Connect if we don’t continue to keep the pressure on. It would be of considerable benefit to their customers and we are certainly paying a premium for their service. Heck, for what we pay, they should be on the top of Netflix’s speed test:

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/usa

It should bother all of us to pay a premium for a service that falls short of optimal. Maybe we could get some competition and better prices if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit against this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970s. Comcast subscribers, continue to post your dissatisfaction about their delays in joining Open Connect.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

Well, Netflix’s March speed results are in and Comcast still ranks in the mediocre range (#7 out of 17). This is really unacceptable given what we pay for their service. Check out the ranking…

Here’s a must see youtube video on the telecommunications monopoly. Free market competition just isn’t working as you will see…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d082E9gPjk

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

[ Edited ]

wchillman wrote:

Well, Netflix’s March speed results are in and Comcast still ranks in the mediocre range (#7 out of 17). This is really unacceptable given what we pay for their service. Check out the ranking…

Here’s a must see youtube video on the telecommunications monopoly. Free market competition just isn’t working as you will see…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d082E9gPjk

It looks like asdie from the first result, the majority on that list place somewhere between about 2.0 and 2.4 (with Comcast being at 2.1)--seems like being in 7th place (out of 17) isn't that much different than being in 5th place or even 3rd place.

Something else to keep in mind is that Comcast supports millions upon millions of users, which is at least somewhat larger than most, if not all of the other providers on the list, and certainly WAY larger than what Google Fiber, and at least a number of others, have to support.  It's much easier to privde better speeds when you have to support a much (MUCH) smaller infrastructure, and in some cases, like Google Fiber, an infrastructure that you got to set up and use just very recently (vs. a huge one that you had in place long ago providing service to many users and had to plug in other ones that came into your management on top of it all).

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

C-DM wrote…

“Something else to keep in mind is that Comcast supports millions upon millions of users, which is at least somewhat larger than most, if not all of the other providers on the list, and certainly WAY larger than what Google Fiber, and at least a number of others, have to support.  It's much easier to privde better speeds when you have to support a much (MUCH) smaller infrastructure, and in some cases, like Google Fiber, an infrastructure that you got to set up and use just very recently (vs. a huge one that you had in place long ago providing service to many users and had to plug in other ones that came into your management on top of it all).”

Then maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970s. 

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

[ Edited ]

wchillman wrote:

C-DM wrote…

“Something else to keep in mind is that Comcast supports millions upon millions of users, which is at least somewhat larger than most, if not all of the other providers on the list, and certainly WAY larger than what Google Fiber, and at least a number of others, have to support.  It's much easier to privde better speeds when you have to support a much (MUCH) smaller infrastructure, and in some cases, like Google Fiber, an infrastructure that you got to set up and use just very recently (vs. a huge one that you had in place long ago providing service to many users and had to plug in other ones that came into your management on top of it all).”

Then maybe we could get better prices and speeds if the U.S. Department of Justice initiated an antitrust lawsuit and broke up this monopoly like they did against AT&T in the 1970s. 

I think most of us can say that didn't exactly do much of anything for AT&T given they they are still running essentially the same kind of business as they have before.

Progress will have to come of course, but with large infrastructures/userbases that at least some of the companies in the domain have, it'll roll out slowly unfortunately, at least partially, if not mainly, simply due to the fact of the size of technologies and user communities that have to be supported.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

Check out effects of the breakup…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_AT%26T

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

[ Edited ]

wchillman wrote:

Check out effects of the breakup…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_AT%26T

Majoirty of the broken up regions/providers ended up being acquired by SBC which then was acquired (back) by AT&T.  So, while some regions split off, for the most part is still mostly same old AT&T in many respects.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

So, using your logic we are no better off and the breakup should never have occurred. 

Regular Problem Solver
C_DM

wchillman wrote:

So, using your logic we are no better off and the breakup should never have occurred. 

I'm more or less trying to say that progress will come over time, although most likely slowly due to all the existing infrustructure and market size.  The whole "monopoly" aspect and dealing with it probably won't really help it much one way or another.

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

[ Edited ]

Complacency won’t get us there. There are millions of customers with no other viable option who are sick with getting fleeced. This widespread dissatisfaction needs to be parlayed into political action to encourage some type of regulatory control or judicial action. Here’s another article…

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/opinion/break-up-the-telecom-cartels.html?_r=0

Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman
Bronze Star Contributor
wchillman

So, Netflix ranks ISPs internationally as well as those in the US: a total of 8 in all. In terms of average speed, Comcast’s speed of 2.09 ranks below the average speed in all countries except Ireland and Mexico. It even ranks lower than the LOWEST speed in half of the Scandinavian countries…

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/

I’m hopeful that Comcast will sign on to Open Connect so that we could watch some Netflix shows in SUPER HD as well as increase our speed ratings. I did some research on the internet and came up with this site…

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/968728-super-hd-streaming-now-supported-on-ne...

Reportedly their service can access Netflix Super HD even if your ISP does NOT join Netflix Open Connect. Their service requires a simple DNS change and costs $4.99/month but they also have a 7 day free trial. Right now, I pay Comcast $49.95/month for 6 down/1 up and feel like I’m being fleeced, so I’m not about to spend any more money on this but I was wondering if anybody has tried them.