Contributor
blyea

Re: ROOK, HOBO GO

[ Edited ]

engadget is reporting Comcast may finally be allowing HBO GO through the Roku.

Happy days indeed!  If this happens, I will definately keep Comcast and HBO.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/16/hbo-go-on-roku-samsung-and-xbox-opens-up-to-time-warner-and-po/

Contributor
bgamman

Re: ROOK, HOBO GO

[ Edited ]
Yay!
Contributor
bcr0214

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Engadget looks to be wrong.  Time Warner Cable IS now supporting HBO Go on ALL DEVICES (go to hbogo.com/activate to see), but still nothing for us Comcast people.  I can't believe that Comcast continues to allow our HBO Subscriptions to be de-valued;  DirecTV, while they don't support Roku, DO support Samsung TV access of HBO Go, so currently Comcast is providing the LEAST bang-for-the-buck of any provider. 

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

It's been 2 or 3 months since the President of Time Warner publicly asked why Time Warner Cable has not allowed Roku access to HBO GO. I figured we were sunk if a President of a cable company's parent company could not get them to grant access, how could our complaining do anything.

Regular Contributor

Well if i was an invester in comcast stock and saw all this hemmin and hawing on this issue i might consider selling it..

Contributor
blyea

Brighthouse is available on the activate page now as well, it wasn't this morning.  Maybe Comcast will be available by days end...fingers crossed!

Contributor
SF19382

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: Comcast... Please allow HBOGO for Xfinity customers on Roku, LIKE I HAD WITH VERIZON. I enjoy HBO on my two full feature DVR boxes but would also like it on my basic boxes that do not offer premium channels or on demand.
Contributor
SF19382

Comcast in the news:  By supporting HBO Go on game consoles and connected TVs, Time Warner Cable joins the likes of Verizon, AT&T, and Dish Network in offering access to the service. And it even comes out ahead of some providers, like Comcast, which still doesn’t authenticate with HBO Go on Roku. Source:  http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/17/time-warner-cable-hbo-go/
Contributor
bcr0214

Well, after MONTHS of pressing for an answer to WHY they are denying us access to HBO Go on Roku, I've finally been able to set up a call for tomorrow (friday) @ 11am with Comcast's Director of Customer Service.  I'll fill you all in with details after my conversation, but in the mean time, POST YOUR DISCONTENT ABOUT THIS ON THE XFINITY FACEBOOK PAGE!  Make Comcast, and everyone who looks at the page, realize that this IS NOT OK.  They are de-valuing our subscription to HBO by charging us the same amount that U-verse, FiOS, and Dish charge, but delivering less access.  Again, POST ON THE XFINITY FACEBOOK PAGE. 

I'll be back tomorrow after the call with any details I'm able to get.

Regular Contributor
vincent228

When you speak to them, why dont you let them know that a topic with 458 oosts of dissatisfaction should carry some weight.
Contributor
blyea

bcr0214...any update?

New Visitor
digger623

Comcast - Time Warner now allows HBO Go on Roku.  Get on it people.

-- disgruntled customer

New Visitor
StormyBiker

Unfortunatly our town does not have Time Warner digger623.  Our only choice for cable is Comcast, and they are not willing to add HBO Go on Roku.  Thus the reason for all these posts.

---- Frustrated Comcast Subscriber

New Visitor
hpmp

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

I agree with last user. I would like to access my xfinity channel on roku

Regular Contributor
vincent228

I am in the same boat as stormy biker. Only comcast in my town. So with the addition of hbogo on roku on time warner, might i say, COMCAST, YOU S.U.C.K! YOU GIVE 50% OF THE SERVICE FOR 150% OF THE PRICE! I HOPE YOU ARE LEVERAGED BY A LARGER COMPANY AND THEN GET YOU PAY CUT BY 50%. ONLY THEN WILL YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS SETTLE FOR!
Contributor
bcr0214

Hey all,

So like I said, yesterday I had a very informative discussion with a Comcast Director of Customer Service about this issue.  I'm not going to try to quote anything he told me, as I wasn't taking notes as quickly as I could have been, but I will pass on the fact that Comcast's higher-up are very well aware of the discontent about our lack of access to HBO Go on Roku, and that it's near the top of the list of issues he discusses with the big-wigs regularly.  The impression I got from our conversation is that Comcast is trying to call this a cost issue; I was told that HBO requires Comcast to pay a fee for each activated unit, but he understandably couldn't be specific.  From the content of our conversation, which I'm not going to divulge further out of respect for him and his team, they are working on resolving this issue. 

Again, I took this information with a grain of salt, but I'm hopeful that HBO Go access on the Roku is in the works for us.  I think I really got him thinking when I pointed out that at this point, Comcast provides access for the LEAST number of streaming platforms for HBO Go, and that I feel that my subscription price is being de-valued relative to Comcast's competitors.

New Visitor
JoshShwa

Thanks for the update on your discussion with Comcast.  Pretty much what I expected, Comcast isn't willing to reduce their margins in order to provide a better value to the rest of us.

Still doesn't alleviate my disappointment.  Comcast is very pricey compared to the competitors that provide Roku access.  In fact, I'd say Comcast is well behind competitors on many features (take a look at AT&T U-verse interface- very slick). 

I am stuck with Comcast in my area, but looking forward to alternatives when they get here.  Meanwhile, I'll be participating in discussions like this which attempt to ask Comcast to look at customers over their margin. 

My guess the cost to Comcast HBO GO is low, anyone have any idea?  Considering an HBO subscription is $10/month, it can't be more than $0.20 - my guess anyway.

Contributor
tech-1984

Thanks to bcr0214 for talking with the Comcast Director regarding this issue and reporting back to us.

That this is a cost issue for Comcast is believeable, but likely not the whole story. Large companies will throw millions away at boondoggle projects (think Streampix), then turn around and make bad decisions on relatively smaller cost issues like this because upper management has an underlying agenda, which something like this might threaten.  Yes, given the behemoth that Comcast is, small per unit charge from HBO probably ends up being a non-trivial amount of money.  Thing you got to try to imagine is whether this amount would be like, they have to report on their quarterly earnings to shareholders:  “Um, we lost money this quarter because we gave Roku access to HBO GO for a bunch of users”.  Frankly, can’t see it being this kind of money.

Here is my take:  we PAY for HBO subscription, the whole thing, not just some portion of it.  If we wanted to only pay for starter cable, sit around and watch like the Guinea Pig channel (or whatever), that would be one thing.  But we are Comcast’s premium customers, we pay for HBO because of that quality content, and if there is no technical reason why Comcast can’t give it to us on the Roku player, or any other modern device for that matter, then they need to do this.  Now would preferable.

Regular Contributor
vincent228

i agree 100%.

let me get this straight.

time warner, cox, etc, etc, also (allegedly) incur some cost to do the same thing comcast is "crying" they cant allow due to cost.

BUT YET, cox, time warner, etc, etc are cheper than comcast.

whats wrong here people.?

whats the old term ?

don p-ss down my back and tell me its raining. ?

how about contacting the DPUC (department of pulic utilities) ?

maybe they will have something to say about comcasts lack of service with their excess of cost.

its worth a try.

Contributor
tech-1984

Yeah, I don't know, could be an FCC type of issue, or maybe restraint of trade.  Because you have to get the HBO (and therefore HBO GO) subscription service from a local TV service provider, and in many places there is only one choice, so there is no recourse (do we have any lawyers listening?).

As you might expect, Time Warner and Cox both are rated above Comcast in TV service in the latest Consumer Reports. Not that any of these guys are rated that high, this being the sorry state of broadband in this country.  This issue of HBO GO over Roku is particularly ridiculous, but by no means the only issue. The whole industry needs reform, and clearly Comcast is being their own worst enemy right here

Regular Contributor

All HBO has to do is renegotiate contract with Comcast to allow more folks to get HBO GO streaming without needing sub from comcast. If I were HBO I would do what ever it took to keep Game of thrones on for as many seasons as possible and then make the change when current contract ends and offer its services completely free of the Cable and satilite companys...

Contributor
tech-1984

Makes sense to me.  If you are the content owner, in this day and age, how much value are the Comcasts of the world providing, beyond transport?   If you ask Comcast to split up the cost of the bundled package, TV is far and away the biggest chunk.   This is why, Comcast letting this issue fester is just unreal. 

New Visitor
JoshShwa

I think I may have figured it out.  Comcast's big white elephant, StreamPix, already offers an HBO Go-type experience, right?  I think you can get most back episodes of HBO on it. 

I doubt most of us will pay for StreamPix in the first place (much inferior to Netflix/Amazon), and now with HBO Go, we're even less likely because now we can (or could have, thanks Comcast) get all HBO content bundled with our subscriptions.

Probably some executive in Comcast is trying to cover his/her bad decision making by making a deal with HBO for streamed content, then realizing too late HBO Go just ruined the business model.  How can he/she explain to the boss that after paying HBO for StreamPix, they have to now give it to customers for free who have alternative streaming technologies...  So no Roku access while they roll out another campaign for StreamPix (wait for it, the commercials are coming).

Sound plausible?  Could explain the 'cost' issue Comcast is alluding to, because I don't really buy the "oh, we can't afford the cost per user to HBO" idea, while all other cable companies don't seem to have an issue and have a fraction of comcast's resources.

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

Speaking of SteamPix they can keep it till at least it runs on Roku!

New Visitor
JoshShwa

I'll bet you 3 months free of Showtime* that that is their plan.  They will roll out a Streampix channel on Roku very soon, so they can say, "you don't need HBO Go for free, for only $5.99/month you can get the same thing, plus other streaming choices, via Streampix!"

* after 3 months, if you don't call me to cancel, I will charge you 150% of the market rate indefinitely.

Regular Contributor
vincent228

475 posts and counting people. And we still bend over and take it up the ol wazoo from comcast.

comcast doesnt even care about keeping customers any longer. Example; my mother called comcast to see if they could meet or at least come down in their price a little to make it more attractive to the att uverse that recently came around.

get this ! they told her they would give her hbo free for 3 months ! they didnt budge on price. my mother said, if they cant lower the price a little, she will have to change to att uverse, after having been a comcast customer for 18 years. Comcast said, sorry to lose you,(basically, have fun with uverse). So then they raise everyones rates and blame it on the competition of uverse ! its a joke. comcast is a joke. they dont care !

they will find another way of giving you nothing and raising your rates, claiming "they gave you something".

Visitor
KENNYGO

I guess comcast wins, we will never see hbogo on the roku, After months of reading these post and things are still the same. I have plenty of streaming options and I can watch hbogo on the tv by pluging in the       laptop, but i hate wires. I just dont know why they let us access it on the computer but not roku.

Contributor

As I have repeatedly stated, Comcast does not care.  I have noted others coming to this realization.  Comcast will have a netflix event, and lose vast numbers of customers.   HBO will sooner or later offer their product without being tied to Cable provider.  HBOGO was the first missile.  As soon as this happens many more providers will follow suit.  I for one will immediately place a good antenna in the attic, and buy my hbo content directly.  I may still need comcast for internet, but maybe not.  With netflix, redbox, Amazon, who needs the million and 1 inferior channels offered anyway.  My buddy just put an antenna in attic and I swear his HD on regular channels is stellar!  I could feed my family for the month on what I pay Comcast, and their arbitrary quarterly increases are now painful.  I have a buffet table of devices that get some channels, but not others, and its a real pain.  I really have only myself to blame for staying so long and paying so much.  I wish my suburb had another provider.  Oh well, we'll have to wait and see, but I am losing hope.  Streampix, btw, has little content when compared to others.  Maybe ultimately their poor decision on HBOGO, Roku will get me off my behind, and make some changes.

Regular Contributor

StreamPix (or whatever it's called) only contains about 5 to 10 percent of what's available on HBOGO - which has virtually every episode of every series that HBO has aired, every documentary they've made, and a big selection of movies on top of that.

The whole "Comcast has to pay for every new subscriber to HBOGO" doesn't make any sense to me, since people are already signed up via their computers, XBoxes or other devices.  By comparison, Roku is a small market.  A lot more people have Xboxes and home computers than Rokus. 

New Visitor
Rickgarrett2004

I have a hbo on the go channel on my roku but cannot set it up on my roku it says comcast does not support I only have on demand in I room and would like to use with my riku in my bedroom I also drive a 18 wheeler and would like to be able to watch hbo and my on demand channels in there when I am stuck in it I no I can on myi pador laptop but my tv is bigger and would be alot easier to see. Do you think u will be bucking it up anytime soon?
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what comcast is up to. They give free WIFI calling and txting to customers but wont give Roku access???

http://www.linkedin.com/news?actionBar=&articleID=5611190788445712418&ids=czAPcz0VdjwOdPAMdzgPcj4Sdi...

New Visitor
davidmeans2170

XFinity StreamPix / XBox360 / Roku

I noticed that you're offering a service called XFinity StreamPix, and that it's available for the XBox360.

I would be interested, and possibly even a subscriber, if you had service available for Roku.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: XFinity StreamPix / XBox360 / Roku

streampix is available in the on demand section of the cable box and now on the xbox.  Comcast makes nothing available to roku.  Do you not have on demand on your cable box?  If you already have netflix you have everything plus tons more than streampix does

this is a user to user forum by the way.

New Visitor

We would LOVE that too!!! HBO GO on ROKU!!!!!!

Regular Contributor
vincent228

yup. just what nobody asked for. texting from their computer. and wifi that most people have already bought wireless routers for $25. I asked a person that i know that works for cox cable. they said comcast is full of it. a company gets what they allow for. comcast keeps blaming everyone else for what they dont give. so, now that we KNOW that comcast is full of lies, who will be their scapegoat this time as to why we get 50% of the service for 150% of the price ?? global warming ?

Regular Contributor

ROFL I like that one. Global Warming gets the blame for everything else why not lol...

Contributor

Hey, Comcast, keep your texting, old news, already have it, as 95% of your user base already have. Give me HBO Go On ROKU!!!!

New Visitor
cjtmm

hbogo and roku

How do I get HBOGo to work with ROKU?

New Visitor
cjtmm

HBOGo and ROKU

When will this be supported?

Contributor
tech-1984

Re: HBOGo and ROKU

Yes, this is what we are looking to hear, when.  

There may be a cost issue to Comcast, but it is doubtful that this is the only reason or even the primary reason why we are not seeing this supported.  Possibly there are negotiations between Netflix and Comcast (a rumor I have heard) which may be at play here.  Or, maybe it is basically that Comcast hates Roku for the challenge it poses to them.  If you go on the Roku blog, post after post says "I got Roku so I could get rid of cable".

Comcast needs to understand that it is alienating its customers who have Roku boxes. We are not one step away from ditching cable, but we are perfectly happy to have both services.  Or at least I was, until this sham...guess which one I will ditch first? 

Regular Contributor
vincent228

Okay. so lets say that there actually is a cost issue. isnt there a cost issue for texting and wifi ? i checked comcasts forums, and i found "LITTLE TO NO" requests for either of thoses things. But yet 10 pages of roku requests later, we still get lies and silence. So I want comcast to answer this. Why does comcast think that providing things not asked for makes them look wonderful ? Its about a equal as giving ice cubes to eskimos, and then bragging about how cold you kept the water for them.

Regular Contributor
vincent228

quoting tech-1984 "Or, maybe it is basically that Comcast hates Roku for the challenge it poses to them."

very good comment.

So instead of comcast working with roku to keep them as an allie "AS ALL OTHER CABLE COMPANIES HAVE (DUH)", they would rather punish the people that have roku and deny then any service that could be provided.

Hey comcast !! Stop throwing your temper tantrums, or I will coin a term right now that will stick. which should it be ? "COMBRATS or THEIFINITY" ? just grab your binky and blanky and give your customers what they ask for ! I want to know from anyone on this forum. if comcast gave access to hbogo on roku, would you have a complaint ? would you cancel your cable with comcast BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY PROVIDED WHAT YOU ASKED FOR AND THOUGHT YOU WERE GETTING WHAT YOU WERE PAYING FOR ? no? then how could hbogo on roku pose a threat to them ? What kind of education does the decision makers have that makes them think giving what you pay for poses a threat to your business ? Do you bring your car to the garage that actually fixes your car or the one that refuses to fix it because if its fixed, you wont keep bringing it to them ? it sounds to me that comcasts planners and decision makers have obviously been educated beyond their intelligence.

New Visitor
JohnBart

[ Edited ]

Bad capitalism is bad

Regular Contributor
vincent228

And there we have it. The occasional comment to change the subject. This forum is about hbogo and comcast not allowing on roku boxes. Not political veiws. But then again, theres always china to live in if you dont like capitalism. 23 cents a day to work anyone? There is no capitalism in utilities where you have no other choice. And that includes local stations that no longer broadcast over airwaves. And you HAVE to have a digital converter to see ANY channels. Why do you think those "utility works" spots are on the board game MONOPOLY?
Contributor
tech-1984

I found this article from back in March, that is interesting:

http://www.splatf.com/2012/03/hbogo-xbox-cable/

has more to do with the hbogo on xbox, but observations it makes are applicable to the situation on the Roku box.  Espeically like the comment:  

"The real losers, of course, are the subscribers — you and me. This silliness about “owning the entire customer experience” is just not productive or sustainable for the long-term. Maybe most of the sameshows are available from both sources, but as long as we’re still paying for cable TV, why not give us the choice to pick which interface we want?"

Regular Contributor
vincent228

Excellent point ! Key word being "choice" of course.
New Visitor
athena0130

Re: HBO NO Go?

I feel the same way and have asked the same question.  I live in an apartment complex where I am only able to have one box, because they refuse to run addtional lines in my apartment.  This could be the same case, but regardless of that issue if we pay extra each month to subscribe to HBO, they are taking our money we should receive full access to HBO and I also feel that they should add an Xfinity channel to the Roku box as well.  Every other provider has these options, why shouldn't they.  What ever happened to the customer is always right?

Regular Contributor
vincent228

Re: HBO NO Go?

The customer is always right went out the door with " you get what you pay for" and " honesty is the best policy". Go to the xbox live section. Xfinity on demand is part of the channels they provide. Comcast lets everything go through xbox. And xbox live gold cost $ 60 a year. So where is comcasts cost issue there? There is no problem crawling in bed with xbox and microsoft and making little rip off offspring.
New Visitor
dinov

I woud like to recieve HBO GO on my roku.  Why has comcast not been on the list of providers for the Roku service?

Regular Contributor
vincent228

Because when youre the only game in town, you dont have to offer things that you can charge for later. Until our government deregulates the cable companies ( allowing you to choose from differrnt providees in the same area) comcast will remain a monopoly. Its their bat, their ball and their ball park. Until you move to another feild, they know you have " no choice" , and quite frankly, take the easier road by giving you nothing additional.