Reply
Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎10-23-2008
Posts: 2
Accepted Solution

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-24-2006
Posts: 38

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Netflix is very nervous right now because of the new upcoming streaming service from Redbox.  Vudu already does 1080p on the Roku.  Not sure why anyone would watch a new release movie with Comcast On Demand if they have a decent TV and a Roku?  Comcast needs to feel threatened with all the new streaming technology coming out. Treating their existing customers this way only irritates an intelligent user. 

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


rwspears wrote:

Guess what Netflix is gonna shake things up for comcast.....

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731#gsc.tab=0

 

They will be launching Super HD service and start streaming 3d and 1080p HD. I doubt comcast will participate. They need to have a special network interface to netflix for it to work....


Unfortunately, Comcast is my only high speed option for internet. This is one reason though to switch if another option that does participate becomes available.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-15-2006
Posts: 30

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Heaven forbid that Comcast should do anything that is cost-effective.

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


Wellesley72 wrote:

Heaven forbid that Comcast should do anything that is cost-effective.



Or customer friendly.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎08-21-2009
Posts: 1

XFINITY HBO Go on Roku

Why isn't HBO GO supported on the Roku?

I understand per the HBO GO activation page that Comcast XFINITY does not support HBO GO on Roku Streaming Players.  I know that Comcast XFINITY supports HBO GO on other devices but as an HBO subscriber on Comcast, I want the full HBO GO available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Verizon, Dish and so on.  I hope this issue is resolved soon as I am quite disappointed with my restricted access.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎11-16-2012
Posts: 2

hbogo roku xfinity

just purchase roku and appears it doesnt support hbogo from xfinity.  I know this is same functionality as on demand, but in my setup this would be easier to use and faster.  will this be supported?  If not, why

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-12-2013
Posts: 1

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

my guess it will never happen. 

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎04-12-2008
Posts: 13

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Look, I've been reading and participating in this forum for the longest time.  I said it 6 months ago and I'll say it again now, COMCAST DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU OR I WANT!!! They will do only what profits them.  

We are, for many of us, a captive audience.  Either forced though exclusive contracts, as in my suburb, to rely on Comcast for internet, and having no other choice for cable.  I know, I could go satellite, but just don't want the hassle of split service.  I need to find what other boxes, besides xbox, Comcast supports hbogo on. Someday streaming and technology will put Comcast out of business and I for one will say good riddance to their arrogant lack of regard for the needs of their customer base.  Not to mention their constant price   increases.  Until then, I will have to bend my needs around Comcasts poor decisions.  I do not believe they will rectify this.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎02-19-2010
Posts: 86

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

I just wish they would finally and PUBLICLY say why its not supported. Common MAN UP and admit why it isnt supported.

 

Then I would ask HBO to re-Negotiate the contract once the current one ends so that MSO do not need to be the middle man. HBO managers I payed Glenn Beck 89 dollars for an entire year for his service. If HBO offered a service plan similar to what MLB does with no restrictions Ide bet people would gladly pay 150 bucks for a whole year for HBO-GO service that is accessable from any device with the proper software on it...

 

Then again I worry about whats gonna happen with 4K and in the future 8K video formats. Comcast in its current form wont be able to handle data rates high enough to stream 4K video...

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: XFINITY HBO Go on Roku


CTCorgi wrote:

Why isn't HBO GO supported on the Roku?

I understand per the HBO GO activation page that Comcast XFINITY does not support HBO GO on Roku Streaming Players.  I know that Comcast XFINITY supports HBO GO on other devices but as an HBO subscriber on Comcast, I want the full HBO GO available to me on Roku, just as it is available to HBO subscribers on ATT, Verizon, Dish and so on.  I hope this issue is resolved soon as I am quite disappointed with my restricted access.


Prepare to remain disappointed. It will not change.

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


rlynch1 wrote:

 I need to find what other boxes, besides xbox, Comcast supports hbogo on. .


PC, iPhone, Tablets (Android).  Other than that, none.

 

Posted by
Recognized Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-13-2013
Posts: 44

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Has anyone tried the Google TV HBO GO app?  That also runs on android.  Sony has a Google TV box I was thinking of trying.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-13-2013
Posts: 1

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

It would be nice to be able to bring your HBO with you, say to hotel, visiting "mom" in Florida, or my daughters dorm rooms at college, who would have access to streaming the HBO Channels that I am paying for.  They can stream them on their computers, but not on their televisions.  It would be nice to be able to get the most out of the cable channels, which I pay so much for.  We don't all live in a bubble.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-06-2012
Posts: 97

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

GoogleTV works fine making the Roku band that much more rediculus.

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


Zordar wrote:

Has anyone tried the Google TV HBO GO app?  That also runs on android.  Sony has a Google TV box I was thinking of trying.


I bought the Sony box before I bought Roku, and it is the reason I bought Roku. On the Sony box, it goes through the Sony servers apparently, and when they get overloaded, you get "buffering, please wait" about every other minute, making it virtually impossible to watch anything. We unhooked it, took it back to the store and bought the Roku--and have had no problems since with streaming.

 

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel


michelej60 wrote:

It would be nice to be able to bring your HBO with you, say to hotel, visiting "mom" in Florida, or my daughters dorm rooms at college, who would have access to streaming the HBO Channels that I am paying for.  They can stream them on their computers, but not on their televisions.  It would be nice to be able to get the most out of the cable channels, which I pay so much for.  We don't all live in a bubble.


"or my daughters dorm rooms at college..." I think you have hit one nail on the head. Comcast limits the number of "authorized" devices you can stream on using their app (3), Roku would have no such limits. In a household where we have 2 iPhones and 3 pcs, that limit of 3 devices was frustrating at best. I have 2 pcs, one is used primarily for travel, but other times the large one needs to go.  hubby has his own pc, and when on the road, were it not for the Roku with Hulu and Netflix for much of our "on demand" needs, we would have been trying to juggle "which pc is currently authorized?" even more often than we were already. It is about control, and Comcast wants complete control over your viewing environment.  I suspect that if they thought they could get away with it, they would find a way to completely block Roku from being used over their internet service.

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


jhusosky wrote:

GoogleTV works fine making the Roku band that much more rediculus.


Google TV= no Hulu app, a fraction of the channels Roku offers, Amazon Prime is browser not app based, the reviews are mediocre at best, and the platform is not stable on most devices (read the reviews). Oh, and Roku travels very well.

 

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-06-2012
Posts: 97

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

As a die hard Roku owner (I have 3 and have given more then a dozen as gifts). I would never recommend replacing one with a GoogleTV. If you were looking for an alternative for HBO and some other site that require cable provider auth it's ok.
Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎08-08-2007
Posts: 21

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

,

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎12-22-2012
Posts: 1

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I REALLY, REALLY dont understand this, hear me out folks. My family has had comcast for 20 years, not 2, not 10..TWENTY OKAY haha I have no problems w/ anything BUT HBOGO on my roku. I can watch HBOGO on my laptop (17") not great, I can watch it on my XBOX360 (27") not in a movie watching area, BUT I cant watch it on my 55" samsung LED in my cumfy cozy LIVING ROOM? It KILLS ME! Haha either authorize HBOGO on the roku or add it to on demand so me, and the thousands of other people with this same problem can enjoy ALL of the HBO content we pay for, not the last 10 episodes of this series, the first 5 episodes of that series and the 3rd season of this one... If i want to watch a season from start to finish i have to wait 6,8 heck maybe even a year until season 4-6 are done and im lucky enough for comcast to post season 1 again! Haha comcast i love you, i really do enjoy XOD, internet speed and ur services EXCEPT THIS! I just dont understand WHY its not available on.the roku, it doesnt make sense. I hate to.say it but in 6 months if its the same as it is now, im looking into another provider that will let me watch what i pay for when i want to watch it...and that makes me sad because comcast is the best in most other areas
Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-19-2013
Posts: 1

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Add me to the list of upset customers of Comast in regards to the HBOGo Roku debacle.  I've contacted tech support.  They told me the Apple TV device is compatible with HBOGo and Comcast.  True?  I'd like to know before I go out and spend another $100 just trying to get the HBO content I'd like to watch.  Thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎10-28-2011
Posts: 44

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

No, unfortunately, what you were told is untrue. The only non-computer, tablet, or telephone device approved by Comcast for direct access to HBOgo on your TV is the xBox. 

 

However,there is a kernal of truth hidden in there.  If you have an current version Apple TV and a up-to-date Mac or iPad capable of mirroring or airplay you can use it to stream HBOgo to the Apple TV and watch that way. Not as good as direct access, but close.

 

I've watched all of Rome that way. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-24-2006
Posts: 38

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

It's as easy as signing up to DISH, not DirecTV!  Dish loves the Roku and actually has an app for the Roku for watching international programming.  Their new Hopper DVR now includes Sling which is totally incredible!

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-23-2013
Posts: 1

Ruko

I would like to watch HBO Go on my Ruko, but can't because Comcast doesn't support Ruko, only Xbox360. I contacted HBO to figure who I need to contact about this problem and I was told to contact Comcast. Is there any plans on Comcast allowing its costmers to watch HBO Go through the Ruko device? When or why not?

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-24-2013
Posts: 1

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

does anyone know how to set the roku player up thru the digital box? we tried the red, yellow, white rca plugs on the front but they did not activate the box. What channel does the tv need to be set on? I currently have to use a switcher box and was hoping to connet the roku thru the box from comcast.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎02-19-2010
Posts: 86

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Can't be done there are no cable boxes with an aux video input.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-25-2013
Posts: 1

Re: XFINITY HBO Go on Roku

Comcast will lose my business if they do not all HBO subscribers to stream HBO GO on ROKU!

 

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-15-2006
Posts: 30

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Hook your Roku up directly to your TV, not to your cable box.  Then switch your input on your TV to composite, and the Roku should work fine.  If you have an HDMI slot on your TV, you can hook the Roku up directly to your TV with an HDMI cable.

Posted by
Recognized Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-13-2013
Posts: 44

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I just got an email that there were a bunch of new posts, but they seem to have been deleted, why?

 

Any this thread is over a year old, with almost 900 posts, and almost 41,000 views.  That is the most views of any help topic on these boards.  Why isn't the support team posting in this thread?  ComcastJoe, where are you?

 

41,000 views!  That could be 41,000 accounts of future customers, angry current customers, and customers who dropped Comcast already.  Doesn't anybody at Comcast really care about this?

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-26-2013
Posts: 3

Re: HBO.GO Not Available for Xfinity Users using Roku...WHY NOT?

I have hbo go on ipad, Mac, etc. why not Roku?  I even have an old Logitech Review which is supported!! I bought Roku to replace Review which is discontinued, and no HBO go!  Why do other cable providers provide more value for their HBO subscribers?  

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


Zordar wrote:

I just got an email that there were a bunch of new posts, but they seem to have been deleted, why?

 

Any this thread is over a year old, with almost 900 posts, and almost 41,000 views.  That is the most views of any help topic on these boards.  Why isn't the support team posting in this thread?  ComcastJoe, where are you?

 

41,000 views!  That could be 41,000 accounts of future customers, angry current customers, and customers who dropped Comcast already.  Doesn't anybody at Comcast really care about this?


Answering your questions in order (and this one may be deleted as well):

1. It seems most posts that mention that a user has already left Comcast and went to a provider that offers services that are not available with Comcast (such as the HBO Go on Roku) wind up getting deleted.

2. Comcast does not care.  They don't intend to offer Roku HBO Go to their customers. Roku allows a relatively seamless method to watch the programming on your television without using a Comcast box. The fact that the Comcast box does not offer the same level of programming is not relevant.  They want to control your experience, part of that control is that you can only "authorize" three devices to watch Comcast content on, and they can't limit Roku to be one of those devices.  They want to control your experience, not allow you to control your own.  I suggest you find another provider, believe me the grass really IS greener on the other side.

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎04-21-2009
Posts: 19

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


DMilnerJax wrote:

Zordar wrote:

I just got an email that there were a bunch of new posts, but they seem to have been deleted, why?

 

Any this thread is over a year old, with almost 900 posts, and almost 41,000 views.  That is the most views of any help topic on these boards.  Why isn't the support team posting in this thread?  ComcastJoe, where are you?

 

41,000 views!  That could be 41,000 accounts of future customers, angry current customers, and customers who dropped Comcast already.  Doesn't anybody at Comcast really care about this?


Answering your questions in order (and this one may be deleted as well):

1. It seems most posts that mention that a user has already left Comcast and went to a provider that offers services that are not available with Comcast (such as the HBO Go on Roku) wind up getting deleted.

2. Comcast does not care.  They don't intend to offer Roku HBO Go to their customers. Roku allows a relatively seamless method to watch the programming on your television without using a Comcast box. The fact that the Comcast box does not offer the same level of programming is not relevant.  They want to control your experience, part of that control is that you can only "authorize" three devices to watch Comcast content on, and they can't limit Roku to be one of those devices.  They want to control your experience, not allow you to control your own.  I suggest you find another provider, believe me the grass really IS greener on the other side.


I'll take your word for the explanation on point number 1, but I can personally vouch for you on point number 2. Comcast did respond once, that I'm aware of, and stated very clearly they have no intention of supporting Roku. I copied the text verbatim and when I locate it I will repost here for all to see.

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-31-2012
Posts: 9

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

If you have AT&T U-Verse in your area they authorize HBO Go for the Roku. I just got it installed on Friday and everything works great. And it's great being able to use HBO Go on my TV. Much better than the HBO library that Comcast offers on Demand.

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎04-21-2009
Posts: 19

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


Wags_1680 wrote:

If you have AT&T U-Verse in your area they authorize HBO Go for the Roku. I just got it installed on Friday and everything works great. And it's great being able to use HBO Go on my TV. Much better than the HBO library that Comcast offers on Demand.


As far as I know, Comcast is the only provider which does not support Roku.

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-31-2012
Posts: 9

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I don't think Direct TV allows it either...

Posted by
Recognized Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-13-2013
Posts: 44

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

That's correct that Direct TV doesn't support Roku either, but they DO support HBO go on Samsung TVs. So Comcast is the ONLY major provider to block HBO go on both those popular platforms.
Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-24-2006
Posts: 38

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Go with DISH, best DVR and they love the Roku plus use Sling to stream TV to your tablet for free.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-30-2013
Posts: 1

HBOgo support

How do we get HBOgo support for streaming devices like ROKU?  I really want to take advantage of seeing HBO content via this external device.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver
Member Since: ‎06-17-2008
Posts: 13,999

Re: HBOgo support

comcast has said they have no plans to support hbogo on any other external device besides your computer or the xbox 360

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-07-2010
Posts: 8

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Why do they call this the comcast help and support forum when there is no help or support from comcast?
Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎07-24-2006
Posts: 38

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Why do they call this the comcast help and support forum when there is no help or support from comcast?

 

Because Comcast doesn't care about us!!  Best bet is to compalin on Facebook and Twitter where more will see what a monster they are. 

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎01-31-2013
Posts: 1

What do you mean I can't have HBO Go on my Roku?!

I pay for my HBO subscription like everyone else in the country. Why can't I have HBO Go on my Roku?! Comcast's crappy On Demand service doesn't even offer half of the content that HBO Go offers. I do not have a separate cable box for every TV in the house (that's why I bought the Rokus) and Comcast has the nerve to block my HBO Go? I'm seriously considering canceling cable altogether. Roku has done nothing but make my life more enjoyable and convenient. Comcast seems to think it is its mission to force me to watch content on their terms. I am the consumer. I demand, you supply, or I will find someone who will (Hulu Plus and Netflix come to mind...) I refuse to plan my life around live TV just because Cable providers and content creators refuse to adapt their business models. Try to force consumers to buy your products on your terms and go the way of every other company who tried that in history, gentlemen.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver
Member Since: ‎01-11-2013
Posts: 1,315

Re: What do you mean I can't have HBO Go on my Roku?!

AT&T uverse and verizon have roku hbo go, so if you live in those areas and your contract is not locked in, you could switch to one of those, check the hbo go site to see which companies support which devices.

 

 

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-31-2012
Posts: 9

Re: What do you mean I can't have HBO Go on my Roku?!

I was in a contract, and I didn't care. It was worth the paying the penalty to get out of it and now being able to take full-advantage of my HBO subcription through AT&T U-Verse.

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎02-03-2013
Posts: 1

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I agree 100% comcast should be providing HBO GO on ROKU

Posted by
New Visitor
Member Since: ‎02-03-2013
Posts: 1

Re: HBO NO Go?

HBOGo offers more. For example, you can watch Boardwalk Empire in HBOGo now-but no on On-Demand.

 

Posted by
Regular Contributor
Member Since: ‎01-06-2012
Posts: 97

Re: HBO NO Go?

Comcast please remember the customer service adage "for every one customer who complains there are 100 or more who do not"

Posted by
Bronze Star Contributor
Member Since: ‎12-05-2004
Posts: 357

Re: HBO NO Go?


Sfred wrote:

HBOGo offers more. For example, you can watch Boardwalk Empire in HBOGo now-but no on On-Demand.

 


On Comcast, that is true. On Dish, everthing on HBOGo is also available On-Demand. 

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎06-20-2012
Posts: 23

Re: HBO NO Go?

This poster brings up an excellent point. If Comcast would simply provide everything that HBOGo provides, I would no longer have an issue with them.

Posted by
Contributor
Member Since: ‎09-01-2011
Posts: 12

Re: HBO NO Go?

yes! Comcast is overpriced and stingy with extras! I will ditch you like a bad boyfriend once there is competion for cable internet in my area.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments