New Visitor
meather321

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

also for the person who posted that writing how mad we are about this hbo go issue on this forum is a waste of time because no one of "importance" will be reading these posts....

Who ever is reading these posts and who works for xfinity...i am sure you can let whoever does matter or your boss or whoever is in charge over there that a whole lot of people are not happy about this and i am sure if this company values its employees and its customers it will not matter what forum the complaints come pouring into....

Let Someone who "matters" know, there are a lot of people not happy about not having hbo go on their roku systems....

Thanks!!

New Visitor
HBOGOless

I was disappointed to see Comcast not supporting this too.  You can send an e-mail through the contact us link to make a request for support.

New Visitor
pshepp

Just want to post how ridiculous it is for Comcast to block subscribers from recieving HBO2GO on our ROKU boxes! What a bunch of crud! I know that I can access the same thing online, but it would be so much easier to access it with my ROKU! If they gave us access to every episode of every season on demand it would be great, but they don't!

Regular Contributor

This is absolutely insane why we can not access HBO GO on our Rokus! I have it on my Android Phone and Computer, what is the deal with Roku???  Hmmm let me guess, Comcast feels intimidated by the Roku streamer???  Don't they get it, you have to be a paid HBO subscriber through your provider to use this service and I have been a paying HBO customer with Comcast for god knows how many years!!

New Visitor
rhuckeby

Re: HBO2GO

Please add comcast to the group of cable companies that will allow HBO GO to be streamed through a Roku to your subscribers.   It will enable us to watch on TV versus a PC!  Not all episodes are On Demand - but they are available via roku.  Please set up with Roku ASAP!

New Visitor
DAVID_SIDDALL

When will comcast let us access HBOGO on ROKU.   For the the extremely high cost of your service, I'm paying over $150 a month just for my cable, you'd think comcast would be bending over backwards to provide us with a premium service!

New Visitor
pattigrillo

Hey Comcast... when will you get with the program like your competitors did and add HBO2GO for the Roku??  You make big bucks now deliver big service!!

New Visitor
kklemme

[ Edited ]

Add another request for HBO Go on the Roku--I subscribe to HBO, why isn't Comcast helping us watch it in the most convenient way for us? Your competitors are, and your services are expensive and replaceable. I personally know several people who have moved to AT&T in the past few months, and this might motivate me to join them.

New Visitor
kklemme

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Add me to the list--I am considering dropping the expensive Comcast service for another that will at least allow me full access to my services (like HBO Go) via Roku.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

pshepp wrote:

Just want to post how ridiculous it is for Comcast to block subscribers from recieving HBO2GO on our ROKU boxes! What a bunch of crud! I know that I can access the same thing online, but it would be so much easier to access it with my ROKU! If they gave us access to every episode of every season on demand it would be great, but they don't!

Comcast and other providers can't supply what the networks don't give them. If something is not available On Demand blame the networks. They decide what is released to On Demand.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
kklemme

[ Edited ]

Evie, we're not talking about On Demand. We're talking about HBO Go, a service that HBO and Roku make available to all subscribers and that Comcast is deliberately blocking on the Roku from its increasingly reluctant customers. HBO is not withholding anything, Comcast allows HBO Go on computers, but not the Roku. It's competition does not block the Roku.

Regular Contributor

Just got a call from Comcast (top-notch CS response to this problem), and was told it's simply a licensing agreement they need to work out with HBO/Roku. However, I was told the BEST way to make this happen quickly is for everyone who has Comcast and a Roku to send Comcast a message under their CHANNEL REQUEST option...he said that's the dept. that would deal with something like this! So please E-mail them!

New Visitor
JabbaSubprime

[ Edited ]

Do you have a link (or steps) to get to the CHANNEL REQUEST option?  I didn't see it in their contact email form.

Edit: Think I found it, first have to choose "General Inquiry" in the Support Category, then the "Channel Lineup" I assume?

New Visitor

I agree with the sentiment that Comcast blocking access to HBOgo on Roku stinks.  If a solution is not forthcoming I will gladly move to another service that does offer this in my area.

New Visitor
smarkovich

Just one more request to the Channels Dept., or whoever can make things happen. We are all paying for HBO through Comcast already. Please don't restrict the way we access our subscriptions. There are other options out there us.

Regular Contributor

Yes, I'm assuming the "CHANNEL LINEUP" option is the one you want to send your e-mail to.  You can also call, but an e-mail will be more effective (because there's no guarantee a CS agent is going to forward your phone request to the right people).

Visitor
Rudi_Xeno

This is indeed ridiculous.  Maybe we should go Bank of America or Netflix on Comcast.  Companies tend to understand this kind of action.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I should add that he told me that the more customers they get e-mails from, the quicker supporting Roku would happen.  He DID say it was going to be brought up at their next meeting.  I have no idea how long a licensing deal takes to put in place, but he did say they have been focusing a lot of their attention with Mircosoft (since they'll be allowing/providing content for the Xbox Live TV option starting around Christmas - and, yes, HBO GO is part of that), so I think they just overlooked/set aside the Roku issue, since they haven't really been dealing with them.

New Visitor
DAVID_SIDDALL

I called Comcast this morning and after talking a being transferred twice by people who didn't understand what I was talking about, I was finally transferred to a gentleman who did.   Comcast will be establishing the service sometime in the 4th quarter; so by the end of the year we should have the service..

New Visitor
Yojimbo1973

Comcast has already joined with microsoft. This may be why comcast is not going with Roku.

Regular Contributor

That has nothing really to do with this.  Roku is just another device...  The problem is that it's not on their priority list.  The only thing that is going to make this work is enough people need to complain.  Maybe Roku can suggest a well known industry spokesperson and I'm sure that enough coverage will get them off their bu*t.  I'm not much of a social media person but I'll join the crowd if someone can start some sort of "I'm P*ssed with Comcast" facebook and twitter movement, that seems to get attention these days.

Regular Contributor

I'll believe it's being added in the 4th Quarter if/when Comcast officially posts it here or elsewhere.  Saying they'll do something and actually doing it are two different things...but I have a lot more hope today than I did yesterday...thanks to those of you who took the time to call or email.  If you haven't yet, PLEASE do so...the more complaints they continue to get, the faster this will get done.

Contributor
gconnery

Just adding my voice.  I called the main number and left a voice mail.  I have written a letter.  I spent time on chat with two different reps (who are generally great btw but really didn't get what I was asking them to do).  And I emailed as suggested above.  And I tweeted about it, to Comcast Cares.  Suggest everybody else do the same.

Scroll back in this forum thread.  The main address and phone number of Comcast is listed.  The way to send an email is mentioned.  If enough of us do it maybe they'll listen.

And yes I saw the post about MAYBE we'll see it in the fourth quarter (i think its already the fourth quarter, and its not here yet).  I can't rely on third hand comments that might be repeating inaccurate information anyway.  If Comcast wants to announce they're going to support it they can go ahead and do that.

New Visitor
Jmaurit

I just sent an e-mail, if there's anything else that anyone would recommend to get Comcast moving on this issue faster, I'll join in, I find this incredibly frustrating, as soon as I heard Roku was going to add HBO to Go I went out and got one, now I find out that Comcast is going to be the stumbling block here and for what reason?  Comcast isn't supporting the streaming of HBO content, this isn't going to be any kind of strain on their resources.  Why do they even need to give permission?  Comcast, get out of the way here!

New Visitor
AJp903

[ Edited ]

I also went out and bought a Roku in anticipation of watching HBO GO on it.

I got the info directly from Comcast's website:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-technology/20111011/US.TEC.TechBit.HBO.Go.Roku/

Edit:

I already got a reply to my email requesting HBO GO be added to Roku.

"First, let me point out that while the link you have provided is on the Comcast website, it is not an official Comcast press release. The article was written by the Associated Press and does not mention Comcast at all in the story. This feature is not currently available through Comcast Xfinity."

My email is being forwarded on to the "appropriate management and marketing teams for further review".

I think I'm going to head over to Twitter.

New Visitor
runfast1986

Does anyone have the contact information or email where we should send our view/complaint? I already tweeted their rep but I want to do more.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Complaining on this forum doesn't get anywhere as this is really for support issues.  Like I previously mentioned, we need to find an industry leader to make a point of this.  Comcast is such a huge company that they most likely could really care less about the Roku even though it's a big deal to us.  I'm sure that enough people tweet and FB about this, it may get noticed.  Posting on various industry blogs is very important too.  I'm at work right now but there are some good tech news streaming channels (Geek something?) on Roku that would be good to reach out to also.  Roku could also be helpful by directing users to locations to compalin but I doubt they would do that?  Let's see...  how many Roku's have been sold and how many are paying HBO-Comcast customers??  This is what drives the nail

Regular Contributor

It's already hitting the press, see http://gigaom.com/video/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/

Regular Contributor

As I said in my earlier post, the best way to get your message to the proper people is to send an e-mail under the CHANNEL LINEUP option...I was told that the people who get these e-mails are the same ones who would handle an issue like this - this comes from a "suit" from Comcast who talked with me on the phone this morning about the problem (they called me, I didn't call them).

New Visitor
Peeta

Talk about setting the stage for cord-cutting...when Comcast shuts out services like this, all it does is make me look for other ways to get them.  Dish Network seems the most obvious since Comcast is somewhat of a monopoly in my area.

I have a feeling this plays into their Xfinity On Demand play, which only offers a limited selection of the HBO programming I pay $15+/month for.

This is another thing to weigh on my mind every month I get that $167 bill.  For their own sake, I hope Comcast figures this out before I do.

Visitor

I want HBO GO on my ROKU

New Visitor
pcaster77

no roku support? gimme a break...

I just bought a Roku specifically so I could access HBO to Go on it, and Comcast is going to block my access? I see that at&t will allow HBO to go access via Roku, why should I give Comcast my business when they are going to block access to my HBO account that I pay a premium to subscribe to? I may as well go with another provider. Wake up Comcast! Seriously.
Visitor
selatham

I am just as upset as all of you are. I was a beta tester for Roku and got to play with HBO GO for almost 2 months. The last beta version released was I think supposed to have Xfinity support because it was listed on their for a day and I tried activating it but their was a technical error. Then they seemed to pull Xfinity from the list hopefully they will fix the issue and put it back. We'll see!!!
Visitor
TB949

I have sent in my complaint to channel line up today.  I also sent on yesterday to the general email repsonse.  Hopefully they can work this out.  I am not ready to spend $300.00 on an x-box plus additional fees for x-box live for something I should already have access to.

New Visitor
adamwmiller

Re: HBO NO Go?

HBO Go offers all of the old episodes of its shows, that aren't available OnDemand. 

New Visitor
adamwmiller

Well, that's a shameI added HBO just so that I could access the old episodes through my Roku player and catch up to the current seasonsGuess who just canceled his HBO subscription? This guy.   Brilliant Comcast, Brilliant

New Visitor

HBO GO and Roku

Why is comcast blocking access to HBO GO on Roku devices? I'm think about cancelling comcast just for this reason alone.

Contributor
boswd

call email and complain 

New Visitor
Gdibig

rog286713 wrote:

the only thing the app would do is provide you on demand type programming, which you should have with your regular cable box, what exactly would you like the app to be on roku that you can't already do with your cable box.?

The reason I would like it is I use a TIVO box not the comcast box (TIVO has a MUCH better interface and the Comcast DVR I had would just stop working and required reboots at least every other day - but I digress!:smileywink:), so the only way I can get on-demand programming is through my computer.  So, yes the Roku service would be awesome!

New Visitor
ohmyspleen

This is really annoying. It is another time that Comcast is greedy for no reason and to their own detrement. There is someone at Comcast who believes that people will keep more cable boxes if they don't offer this service (and many others). What they don't understand is those of us without cable boxes will never get them. 

New Visitor
sweeneyvbrian

Yeah, I'd like HBO GO on Roku too!! There is no reason why we shouldn't have it.

I mean, why make us sit in front of a computer to see it? Or hook up a laptop to the tv to see it? Just dumb.

New Visitor
sweeneyvbrian

Re: HBO GO and Roku

I know, right? Me too.

We pay for HBO... why should they care how we watch it?? 

Regular Contributor

It's not even a question of "greed", it's a matter of stupidity, plain and simple.  Comcast doesn't lose A DIME by allowing access, and they win over the goodwill of their subscribers.  My guess is that someone up the "food chain" at Comcast who makes these decisions has no idea what the Roku is or what it provides. 

New Visitor

I too was disappointed that Comcast is trying to controll access technology. I already have a cable box that stutters, doesn't work reliably, and has to be rebooted every day or two. And that costs me $100/month. The Roku hasn't been rebooted since I bought it, works great, doesn't stutter. Oh, and it also is the size of a cell phone and doesn't get hot enough to toast marshmallows.

To me, this is like a city that has bus service charging me road tax and then telling me I have to take the bus. Bad move Comcast.

New Visitor
visionlx1

I agree with many of the other comments on this subject of HBO2GO on Roku.  What is Comcast Xfinity AFRAID OF???  You would think with all the money we pay particularly if we're bundled with Comcast's phone, internet and TV at almost $180.00 per month; that they would want to offer as many services to the customers and be the best of the best!

I am really ticked to not get HBO2Go on my Roku which now includes audio/subtitles for the hard of hearing. 

I will wait for awhile to see what Comcast Xfinity is going to come up with but this is a big issue for us to get programs, past series (Boardwalk Empire), and other shows not available on the Comcast Xfinity HBO lineup.  I suppose I can hook my computer up directly to my TV and get the Roku HBO2Go program but what a shame that Comcast would subject their customers to that!!  My husband and I (retired) like to watch TV together, not separately on our computers.  Come on Comcast......be a leader not a follower!

New Visitor
neo-requin

I ordered HBO for one reason only, to catch-up with and watch shows like Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Now I find that because ComCast dosen't use HBO2GO, the only way to watch the past epasiodes is to sit infront of my computer.

What's wrong with you guys? Get your act together and allow us to use the services necessary to enjoy the programs we pay to see!!! 

New Visitor
hbogoroku

I also wanted to add my displeasure with Comcast for not allowing HBOGO via Roku.  Indeed, this has me reviewing other carriers.  I encourage others to find an alternative cable and internet carrier if this isn't resolved.  This is poor decision making by Comcast. 

New Visitor
hbonogo

That Comcast does not support HBO Go on the Roku is a joke. You can use HBO Go already on various platform's, but the same service is not available on another? This is ridiculous. This kind of behaviour should be illegal.

As it appears there are no licensing issues involved when Comcast made the decision to not support HBO Go on the Roku (see link to article below):

"Furthermore, there’s no contractual reason Comcast or DirecTV users can’t access the Roku app. A person with knowledge of the situation told us there are no amendments needed for those companies to authenticate with one device or another, and the decision to support different devices — or not — is up to the operator"

If the following article can be believed Comcast is trying to push its own crappy app to XBox and other settop box like platforms: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/gigaom/articles/video_hbo_go_for_roku_comcast_directv.html

Well, then suddenly it makes sense that you dont' want your subscribers to use a competitor product, because you wouldn't be able to sell yours when it is being released. If the above article is right, then we as Comcast subscribers won't see HBO Go on any device that you can hook up to a TV. Isn't that awesome!?

Contributor
schoonerz

I am just as angry as everyone that Comcast decided not to support HBO GO, making me about 40% more likely to jump to another carrier. I love my Roku box, I wish I could say the same for Comcast

Contributor
schoonerz

I think this says a lot about how little regard Comcast has for their customers. I hate how reluctant they are to support more choices on more platforms