Contributor
ridgerunner48

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

It looks like Comcast has taken the route of partnering with Apple TV and ignoring us Roku fans:  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/HBO-Go-via-Apple-TV/m-p/1724093#M25092

Visitor
SJ2360

Comcast absolutely sucks, they have ZERO customer service skills and that is what its all about in this competitive consumer world. I loathe Comcast, and definitely make sure to tell everyone this, all because of this Roku issue. I also bought it mainly for HBOGO, and think its massive bullsh*t to make us now get an Apple thing to watch HBOGO. What makes this suck the most is the monopoly they have in my area, either them or Dish, and unfortunately my TV addiction outweighs my righteous indignation and need to cancel on principle.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I just received an HBO Go promotional email to my comcast.net email address which stated the following: "HBO GO is available to you as part of your HBO subscription from Comcast's XFINITY TV."  I couldn't find the part which says, "unless you use Roku, in which case you're screwed.":smileyangry:

Bronze Star Contributor

SJ2360 wrote:

Comcast absolutely sucks, they have ZERO customer service skills and that is what its all about in this competitive consumer world. I loathe Comcast, and definitely make sure to tell everyone this, all because of this Roku issue. I also bought it mainly for HBOGO, and think its massive bullsh*t to make us now get an Apple thing to watch HBOGO. What makes this suck the most is the monopoly they have in my area, either them or Dish, and unfortunately my TV addiction outweighs my righteous indignation and need to cancel on principle.

Dish is working pretty good for me. Better programming, significantly cheaper, and wayyy better customer service. And they install free.

Recognized Contributor
Zordar

I'm on the cusp of calling my local Dish installer. Could you tell me why "pretty good" as opposed to "great" or excellent?
Bronze Star Contributor

Zordar wrote:
I'm on the cusp of calling my local Dish installer. Could you tell me why "pretty good" as opposed to "great" or excellent?

Cons:

1. The local networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX), TNT, and Showtime are not available in the on demand lineup. However, they do have their Prime Time Anytime recordings on the Hoppers that uses one of the three available tuners to record the prime time shows every night, you can set series to save and it will keep those shows on the DVR until you delete them. The others just "fall off" after 8 days. I also have Hulu Plus (had it for years) and that covers pretty much any other gaps.
  2.  Can't view On Demand programming through the iPhone or Droid apps, however it is available on PC.
  3. We live in Florida. About once or twice every couple of months, the signal gets blocked for a few minutes by heavy clouds. It is not a common event, but can be aggravating if at a critical point in a show. Unless it is a "big 4", I can re-record a show later to catch it or hit it on Hulu in a day or so.

Pros:

1. With the Sling adapter (built into the Hopper DVR), I can truly stream live or recorded programming to my iPhone, PC, or tablet anywhere I can get an internet connection, including 3G. When I say live programming, I mean exactly that--the app or browser is connected to the DVR via the internet, and I am streaming live television on the iphone while riding (not driving) in the car down I95 on the way to or from my son's house.

2. Whole home DVR is exactly that.  I can pause, rewind, set recordings, manage recordings, and view recordings from any television in the house that is hooked up to either a Hopper or Joey (linked to the Hopper).

3. While HBOgo is available on the Roku, unless I am travelling, I don't need it. The entire HBOgo library is available through On Demand.

4. Addressable remotes. We have two televisions in the living room (think hubby and sports and car/motor shows). Each remote is addressed to the appropriate receiver, and when changing the channel on one device, only that device is affected. (With Comcast, when he would change channels, mine would change too).

5. I currently have over 290 HD recordings on one of my Hoppers (the entire season of several series, and a dozen or so movies, we like to "marathon" them when the season is over--and the drive is only 58% full. I can also put an external drive on it if I want, and probably will this fall, JUST in case of equipment failure--I'll move my recordings that I need to "save" onto the drive.

There are many, many more things I could list about what I like about it. Other things to be aware of:

1. Each Hopper has three tuners and can be connected to a maximum of 2 Joeys. With the exception of the Prime Time Anytime recording, which uses one tuner to record the "big 4", leaving 2 others available during prime time. Multiple televisions can be watching the same show at the same time using a single tuner, but if you have more than 2 televisions (or have 2 and are DVR hogs as my husband and I are), you may want to get 2 Hoppers (we did) for a total of 6 tuners. Every television can access recordings on any of the Hoppers or Joeys in the house. The only limitation is that I can view or delete recordings on the second Hopper while using the first one, one Hopper can't set a recording on the other Hopper. (BTW, some installers are not aware the Hoppers themselves can "talk" to each other.)

2. I would call Dish directly to see what kind of deal you can get. I don't know if they are still offering it, but they were just recently offering a iPad to new Hopper customers (you can download recorded shows to the iPad for offline viewing, not available on droids yet, dangit). My installation was free, and to upgrade to a second Hopper does incur a one time fee (worth it to us).

If you want any more info, let me know.

Contributor
puregenius

HBO Go has been available on Apple TV for less than a month and Comcast is already allowing authentication. Oh how I wish they did not have a monopoly in my City.

Contributor
puregenius

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

CyberDorkster wrote:

I am screwed as well.

HBOGO from my laptop works, and that has an HDMI port, but the clarity is poor and it's a pain.  I figured I'd buy a new Roku for 1080p.... well, it is not supported with Comcast.  Showtime works no problem, but HBOgo is a noGo.

How could a company this large, be this bad and inept.

And why does it take so long for FIOS to get to my house.

Can you tell me what channel you are using to get Showtime Anytime on the Roku? When I search the Channel Store all I see is the Preview channel

Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I am already paying for three boxes. I would like to watch it in my office with the Roku. Should I pay Comcast another $10 a month?
New Visitor
msb304x

Everyone wants HBO/GO for Roku.

Watch how fast it gets offered if everyone on here would say they are willing to pay an additional $5.00 per month for the access.

Comcast would even offer to rent you the Roku for an additional $5.00 per month.

Face it. They have a monopoly right now and offering this would cut into their profits.

IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN PEOPLE.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I just looked into Dish and I think I'm going to pull the trigger.  It seems it would be about $40/month cheaper ($65/month cheaper for the 1st year), and that's for more DVRs with more capability and capacity including muti-room.  It also has a much better interface- Comcast's looks like it's from the 90s.  I'll keep the phone and Internet until FIOS comes to the neighborhood.  They already are on the other side of town.

Contributor
randerto

If you are going to stick with Comcast cable service for now and just want to ditch the monthly hardware fees (DVRs, HD boxes, etc) there is an alternative I switched to two months ago which now only costs me $1.50/month for HD on as many TVs in my house as I'd like including free centralized DVR service. In my case I'm saving about $50/month with this approach but I have quite a few TVs so the ROI is different for everyone depending on their configuration. The trade off is buying some hardware up front to replace the Comcast hardware but no more monthly Comcast rental fees. Happy to share the details if you have interest.
Contributor
bluecrush

SillyGod wrote:

It's an issue with Playon - they are working on it. What a pain..

I googled Playon, and it looks like another company offering Roku services. Are you saying that once the Playon issue gets resolved, HBO Go on Roku will get the green light?

Thanks

Contributor
bluecrush

[ Edited ]

I am really over Comcast. Has anyone dealt with Verizon Fios? I have heard mixed reviews about it.

Thanks

New Visitor
jelly1

I too would LOVE it if Comcast stepped into this century of technology and I was able to watch HBO Go on the Roku box... :smileysad: Sad that Comcast is dragging its feet...

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I just saw a TV ad about a new interface for Xfinity.  Anyone know about it?  I'm sure it will turn out like their TIVO thinkg which was tested in a bout 100 homes then failed.

Contributor
randerto

I originally had luck watching HBO GO on the Roku3 with the PlayOn app but that hasn't been working the past two weeks either.  However, I did watch the live Atlanta Braves/Phillies game this evening on the new Aereo live TV/internet service in the Atlanta area.  Outstanding picture quality (maybe not technically HD but pretty close to it...definitely a ton better than Comcast SD on the same TV) and yet another variable threatening the vaunted Comcast monopoly...  

In the Atlanta area we can now get live TV broadcast over the Internet for all OTA channels in your local area for $8/month - no blackouts or anything - everything you'd get with an HD attenna (more actually if you live in a marginal rooftop antenna area like me).   Pretty cool brand new technology - once I find a way to watch the live ESPN channels without a dependency on Comcast I'll cut the cord...

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

Randerto

You need to update your Playon Server software and redo your HBOGO set up in the Channels section of the server, 
I just had to do the same and it;'s working fine again

New Visitor
Jobu7777

There is ZERO reason that you can give me an iPad app to watch Xfinity but cannot authorize the same for the Roku.  Except for the $$$$ .... So get a deal struck with Roku.  You guys look like idiots with people doing PlayOn workarounds to deliver what a major technology company like Comcast should be able to do 10x better.

Step up.  Have some corporate pride in the products you deliver.  This multi-year Roku issue does not reflect any drive for corporate excellence.

Contributor
randerto

Hi Jhusosky - thanks for the advice and glad to hear you got your HBOGO working again with Playon on the Roku.  I've updated my PlayOn server (version 3.7.6.5398) and removed and readded the PlayOn channel to the Roku3 and still no luck.  Comcast is my cable provider and the PlayOn Support people are indicating it appears to be related to the combination of Comcast and HBOGO (on the Roku) but haven't figured it out yet.   What Roku device do you have and is Comcast your cable provider?

Contributor
randerto

Lack of Comcast support for HBOGO on Roku 3 Devices

Dear Sirs - I am a subscriber through Comcast for HBOGO.  Comcast is one of the only major cable providers currently not supporting HBOGO on the Roku3 device (see weblink below).  Why is this and when can I expect Comcast to begin supporting this device?   My continued business depends on your answer.   Thank you.

http://support.roku.com/entries/23281953-Does-my-television-provider-offer-HBO-GO-on-Roku-devices-

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

yes comcast is my cable TV and cable internet provider and Roku 3

It seems to be that I have to login to hbogo on the playon server first, because comcast seems to forget who you are every time. I have been doing this through the playon login button on the channel setup screen.

It's a lot of extra effort, thank you comcast. This works until hbogo times you out.
Regular Contributor
vincent228

Its been 3 or 4 months since i dumped xfinity and got the whole package from Att uverse. Zero problems with twice the package at half the price. And i dont have to beg for hbogo on my roku. Its carried by Att. Drop comcast like a hot potato.
Contributor

Why is the Roku still not supported by Comcast for HBOGo access?! It was supported on the AppleTV from day 1!
Contributor
randerto

For what it's worth, I had an online chat session with a Comcast rep today who indicated they had received quite a few requests to add Roku support for HBO and will be supporting it (as they do with Apple TV) but they couldn't tell me when.  Given the track record of Comcast reps I don't really ever believe what I'm told but thought I'd pass that along.  I also sent them a list of all the other major cable providers supporting Roku pointing out the lack of Comcast support.

Regular Contributor
vincent228

I wouldn't believe a word they say. If you kook at the very first pages of this thread (almost 2years ago) you will find several posts just like yours. But for 2 years. They keep saying its coming. It never happens. But ive got to love your optimism.
Contributor
ArthurHammer

[ Edited ]

It's just a matter of time right now, maybe another year from now? Look at the track record Xbox 360 was added on April 2012, Apple TV was added on June 2013, Roku sometime 3rd quarter 2014? I don't think they are forgotting about Roku. They know it's a popular device but also know it can be link up many HBO accounts as one Comcast acount. Honestly all they have to do is lock HBO Go on one Roku device. To prevent family members using the same account or something on different devices. Pluis Roku would have to pay a contract fee, which is probably in the millions. Hense why Apple TV and Microsoft have made deals so far.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Post by realityinabox removed.

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Visitor
rmoglen

I bought a Roku so I could legally watch all the content I already pay for and do it one place. I watch Netflix and Amazon on the Roku over cabe internet that I pay Comcast for.  Can Comcast/Xfinity please not be the only major cable provider to provide HBO GO access on the Roku? I see from this thread that is a multi-year issue. This is really kind of ridiculous. 

Contributor
randerto

Hi jhusoski - I worked with Playon support and got HBOGO working on my Roku3 again by resetting IE at both the system and session level. Easy fix once the problem was properly diagnosed. As everyone else on this forum while I would still prefer for Comcast to support HBOGO on the Roku directly this at least provides a pretty decent "work around" for those TVs I have with no Comcast box or Xbox media extender.
Contributor

Well, it appears that I am not the first to question why Comcast in it's wisdom doesnot allow HBOGO on the Roku. You know if we could get HBOGO on the Roku you might have more customer retention.

Contributor
polsen01

Why does Comcast authorize HBO GO for all other devices, but ROKU???  So disappointing when I tried to activate this morning to find out I can't, but just on my ROKU.  Come to find out it has been an issue for years!  Come on Comcast! 

Contributor
Contributor

But it has NOTHING to do with whether one turns on their cable box or not... we've all PAID already for HBO... and that includes HBO-GO.  And they allow such paid subcribers to watch HBO-GO on every freakin' device except Roku...  So this is completely ridiculous.

I'm on a contract with these jokers.  But can I use this to get out of it?  Seems like a breach to me.  I paid for HBO and am supposed to get HBO-GO....  I don't recall it saying only on certain devices and not others...

New Visitor
hussman

I understand that. I'm with you on your argument for having HBO GO available to Roku users. When I made the statement I was pointing out the obvious logic behind blocking HBO GO. With my experience, the only way of getting Xfinity to change their minds is with our wallets. In areas like where I live, it's easy to describe their business model as monopolistic. The only other alternative is expensive 10 mbps dsl and crazy fee heavy dish service. 

We're stuck and Comcast knows it. Why offer us an alternative to extra over priced cable boxes?

Contributor
randerto

Two thoughts that might help you given Comcast's lack of Roku support:
1) If you want to use your HBOGO account on your Roku buy the PlayOn app for Roku. It works well and I watch HBOGO on my Roku3 with nice quality picture (not HD but a heck of a lot better than Comcast SD) all the time. Like everyone else I'd prefer native HBOGO support on the Roku but this is a decent work-around.
2) I ditched all my Comcast cable HD and DVR boxes and went with a CableCard ($1.50/month) on an HDPrime device using used Xboxes as media extenders with Windows Media Center as a central DVR. Saving about $70/month in my case and added benefit of having HD quality picture on any TV where I elect to have a media extender. Requires some up-front equipment investment ($175 in my case) but removes all monthly Comcast hardware fees. Return on investment varies based on your configuration but in my case it's a 3 month ROI - some would call this approach a "no brainier"...

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

I was looking at getting a good but cheap 7in tablet and found the Hisense Sero 7 Pro at walmart and it has HDMI out could be interesting.

Contributor
polsen01

What I don't get it why is it only the Roku?  We have a basic cable box and an xbox in our living room and get the best of both worlds.  HBO Go on the xbox, plus the xfinity app.  Also can get HBO Go on the tablet and computers from xfinity.  Now in the bedroom we have a roku and can't get either.  Why does Comcast allow HBO Go on everything BUT ROKU?

Contributor
randerto

FYI - the Playing issue with HBOGO has been resolved. It was some kind of change HBOGO made to their website that required an update and refresh of IE.
New Visitor
melvinbear

[ Edited ]

For the people out there still asking why we still want it on a roku when we have a cable box: If you had a roku, then you would understand. You can search all of your applications for movies and tv at the same time. If I am searching for a specific movie, I don't have to search through the cable box and then through netflix and then see if it is on another app, Roku will give me all of my options at once, paid or free. Also when we go away and cannot bring the cable box with us, we can hook the roku up anywhere and still have stuff for the kids to watch in the room without having to pay premium hotel prices for movies or games between outings.

I don't understand why Comcast would allow use of hbo go with apple tv or xbox 360, but not with Roku. That seems a little stupid seeing as Roku is more versalitle and user friendly than either of those platforms. Sometimes convenience is everything. Have you ever watched a movie on tv with commercials even though you own the DVD and it is sitting 10 feet in front of you? I use my roku more than the cable box even though there isnt always the same quality of material and I pay for the cable service. I use it more because it is simpler to navigate. Maybe you are not as lazy as I am, but after a long day if I get the chance to sit in front of a television for 30 mins or an hour, I want simple. 

Bronze Star Contributor

hussman wrote:

"The only other alternative is expensive 10 mbps dsl and crazy fee heavy dish service. "

Actually, that "fee heavy dish service" is cheaper than the promo price I was paying Comcast with far better service and programming. Right now I am paying 134.00 a month for the full programming package including all the programming channels, 2 Hopper DVRs each of which holds 250 hours of HD programming and 2 Joeys for the other 2 televisions. When my promo period ends in October, I will pay another 30 dollars a month unless I drop some of the premium channels (I'll keep HBO and Showtime). I kept my internet through Comcast, since I have no alternative. The level of programming and functionality that I have with Dish is so far above what Comcast has that it is amazing.
New Visitor
melvinbear

How many subscribers have to want something before you will actually make it happen? I don't understand the difference between allowing apple tv and xbox 360 to stream hbo go to your tv, but not Roku or Samsung. It seems oddly prejudicial.

Regular Contributor
jhusosky

Even better how many subscribers that are paying a premium for something and only want to get what they would from any other provider, for which comcast hast to litterly check a box on a website to allow us to get what we already pay for. This is not an issue of legistics or support, it clicking a check box that is right next to other check boxes they have checked.

Contributor
puregenius

ArthurHammer wrote:

It's just a matter of time right now, maybe another year from now? Look at the track record Xbox 360 was added on April 2012, Apple TV was added on June 2013, Roku sometime 3rd quarter 2014? I don't think they are forgotting about Roku. They know it's a popular device but also know it can be link up many HBO accounts as one Comcast acount. Honestly all they have to do is lock HBO Go on one Roku device. To prevent family members using the same account or something on different devices. Pluis Roku would have to pay a contract fee, which is probably in the millions. Hense why Apple TV and Microsoft have made deals so far.

I wish I had hope but I do not. It's not about when Comcast starting supporting devices. It is about when HBO Go became available on those devices and how long it took Comcast to allow them. HBO Go became available on the 360 on April 1st, 2012. Comcast began allowing it on April 9, 2012. It became available on the Apple TV on June 19th and Comcast allowed it same day. I do not have an exact date for the Roku but it was before Feb. 10th, 2012. So we have gone over 18 months with no Roku support and other devices have obtained it within a week. Comcast clearly has no plans to allow it. Comcast has a monopoly on cable TV and high quality broadband in my city or I would have switched years ago. I really do not want to buy an Apple TV just for HBO Go but I am seriously considering it.

New Visitor
fedup10

works with apple tv.  comcast hate roku so we pay

New Visitor
abartlett3

To all of you who are asking "why dont you just use the on demand feature on your box?" HBO go allows you to access way more material, for starters you can watch every episode of nearly every series HBO has ever broadcasted, and access to more movies and specials. I just switched from Uverse to Comcast and found out you cant get HBO go on your Roku. Im about to cancell my comcast and switch back solely because of this!

New Visitor
MisterConsumer

I subscribe to HBO and have ROKU.  HBO Go is No Go with Comcast.  This original post is approaching two years old and this is still not addressed by Comcast.  You [Comcast] obviously know how to ignore your customers needs and wishes.  

New Visitor
drpost0

Re: XFinity StreamPix / XBox360 / Roku

We have a secondary residence in OH.  I currently subscribe to Time Warner Cable there (Xfinity is not available).  I would like to drop the Time Warner Cable to save cost and purchase a Roku to watch HBO GO and streampix.  FIOS and Time Warner Subscribers can use the ROKU for HBO GO and On Demand features of their cable company.  Xfinity is one of the very few companies that does not participate.  Therefore, as a triple play customer at our primary residence, I cannot take advantage of streaming through the ROKU.  Is anyone aware of any plans for XIFINTY to join the rest of the world in allowing its customers to watch HBO GO and streampicks on the ROKU?  I am very frustrated and entertaining the idea of switching to another carrier. 

New Visitor

Not only do they ignore, they mislead/lie.

From online chat inquiring about an xfinity mailer I recieved (Digital Starter TV, HBO, Streampix for $29.99 for 6 months).

You: If I get HBO, will I have access to HBO Go?
Chris: Yes, you definitely can access HBO Go if you have HBO.
You: I have a Roku and have seen the app on there. Will it work on that?
Chris: Yes, as long as you have HBO service.
You: Well I know that is not true, so you'll want to correct that in your script.
Chris: With HBO, you also get our HBO multiplex that comes with HBO East , HBO West , HBO 2 West , HBO Signature West, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Comedy and HBO Zone.
Chris: And yes, you will get HBO Go.
You: http://www.hbogo.com/activate does not list comcast (nor xfinity) for Roku.
Chris: You may call our Customer Service Team for more information on how to activate that.

You: Thanks for your time. I will not be ordering any TV service from comcast, because it is missing Pac 12 Networks and Roku HBO Go access.

Contributor
cookr08

[ Edited ]

I was giving consideration to getting HBO just to use HBO Go for this season of Newsroom but opted to get my parents to subscribe down south and opted to use their Brighthouse account instead - not surprisingly, Brighthouse supports the Roku.  But it is Comcast's call and if they don't want my money that's their choice.

It's ridiculous, but if Comcast just has to be stubborn, there are always workarounds. Their loss is Brighthouse's gain.

Things like this, along with their "no to Netflix Open Connect, get Streampix!" stance, makes me a bit embarassed to be a paying customer. Stupid lack of options.

New Visitor
JMJ333

With the added expense of HBO as well as the size of a company such as Comcast, I'm pretty stunned that I am unable to use HBOGO on my Roku. The majority of the larger cable providers as well as several smaller ones have access to this feature. I tend to watch more movies on Roku than on my cable box so it would be a huge help (especially when considering maintaining service)