Reply
Contributor
cpe111
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎06-07-2012

Re: ROKU and HBO GO

This is frustrating - I can stream HBOGo to my PC and laptop fro anywhere via my comcast subscription but not to my Roku or my samsung TV. It would seem to me to be relatively easy for comcast to offer that option.

Contributor
wsalopek
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-10-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

--->>  Time to cancel HBO.   <<--

 

Don't blame HBO...blame Comcast...it's ALL their fault.

Contributor
wsalopek
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-10-2012

Re: ROKU and HBO GO

-->>  It would seem to me to be relatively easy for comcast to offer that option.  <<--

 

Yes, it is...all they have to do is flip a switch.

 

But for Comcast, it's more enjoyable to squeeze with all their might even a fraction of an additional penny from their customers, than it is to actually let their customers watch THE PROGRAMMING THEY PAID FOR, in the way they wish to watch it.

 

What Comcast is doing is actually illegal.

 

Verizon lost a lawsuit where they were restricting how customers could use the data they pay for (the $20+ extra per month that a customer had to pay to tether their notebook computer to their phone).

 

The courts said they can't do that.  It's ILLEGAL.  And now a person can find legal apps (Android anyway) to use their phones as a wired or wireless hotspot for no extra monthly charge.

 

Yet here is Comcast, again just for the sake of extracting every last fraction of a cent from their customers, doing just what Verizon was doing, illegaly.

 

I am wondering...does anyone know if this Comcast/Roku issue is working it's way thru the courts?

 

Regular Contributor
FrozenSlime
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: ROKU and HBO GO

I'd be shocked if anyone has tried to sue Comcast over this -- part of the big problem with todays corporations is that they are quite happy to point to someone else as the root of the problem... I'm sure HBO would blame Comcast, Comcast will blame Roku and Roku will blame HBO/Comcast...

 

I'm pretty sure its a Comcast issue, but good luck convincing anyone at Comcast that actually cares...

 

New Visitor
mattkmn
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-20-2013

HBO Go - Roku blocked and can't view 90% of content, ESPN Roku not blocked

Hello,

 

Has anyone figured out a work around to be able to access HBO go for Roku on Comcast?  It was one of the main reasons I got a Roku to avoid hooking up my computer to the TV.  Why does Comcast block this, but not ESPN's roku app?  I'm guessing they know there are multiple ways to watch it still, just frustrating customers.  If On Demand had the same content I wouldn't mind, but On Demand HBO doesn't have hardly any shows and less than half the movies.  Maybe should just switch to Dish.

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

Silver Problem Solver
andyross
Posts: 3,420
Registered: ‎10-17-2003

Re: HBO Go - Roku blocked and can't view 90% of content, ESPN Roku not blocked

It's all about the $$$. Comcast wants you to rent a cable box to watch HBO on your TV. Microsoft probably paid them big money to allow the XBox 360 to use HBO Go on a TV.

New Visitor
mscclive
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-28-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I don't know if any of these comments are going to help the situation, but I will go ahead and add my 2 cents.  I have been a Comcast customer for several years and have owned 2 Roku boxes for the last 2 years.  The Roku UI is so much cleaner than anything Comcast has in the way of VOD.  The fact that I can't access HBO GO on Roku is infuriating.  Let us have access to the content for which we already pay you!!!

New Visitor
Tmh34
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-29-2013

Re: Why Can't I Stream HBO GO Via Our Roku Box??

Appears nothing has changed on this -- I'm a new hbo subscriber and can't believe roku isn't supported! Working with comcast support gets me nowhere ... "Please call Roku support." Very frustrating.
New Visitor
Milsma
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-06-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Spoke to Comcast customer service for some time on Friday.  "Faith" insisted that this is the fault of HBO and Roku, not Comcast - that Comcast can do nothing to help.  She didn't seem to understand that I was in fact purchasing HBO from Comcast, therefore Comcast was acting as the re-selling, middle-man, collecting a fee and therefore had an obligation.  I did get a direct number to HBO so we can call them to complain about how Comcast is treating us.  So call them up people and tell them to sell us HBO directly because clearly Comcast isn't earning their fee. 

New Visitor
Milsma
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-06-2013

ROKU, HBO GO

Comcast continues to block HBOGO from ROKU player.  We pay for HBO subscriptions and are entitled to have access.  Do we have to threaten class action legal action to get results?

Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-14-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


Milsma wrote:

Spoke to Comcast customer service for some time on Friday.  "Faith" insisted that this is the fault of HBO and Roku, not Comcast - that Comcast can do nothing to help.  She didn't seem to understand that I was in fact purchasing HBO from Comcast, therefore Comcast was acting as the re-selling, middle-man, collecting a fee and therefore had an obligation.  I did get a direct number to HBO so we can call them to complain about how Comcast is treating us.  So call them up people and tell them to sell us HBO directly because clearly Comcast isn't earning their fee. 


Let's see this is the fault of HBO & Roku. I doubt it very much. Having HBOGO would do nothing but make the Roku more valauable to consumers. 

Regular Contributor
jhusosky
Posts: 90
Registered: ‎01-06-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

HBO is not totally faultless in this situation because they allow Comcast and DirecTV to give HBO subscribers less then all the other service providers. I do not know how many of the 60 million or so c/dtv subscribers have HBO but I am sure it's about half or more of their total subscribers and don't want to tick off them.

 

 

Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-14-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Just as an FYI I am currently watching HBOGo on my TV through Chromecast and android tablet. So pffftttt Comcast.

Contributor
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎11-07-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

What's the direct number?
New Visitor
rste
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-18-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

You can get HBO GO through Roku if you have one of at least 30 cable providers, including Dish and Time Warner.  See http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#affiliate_grid and http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#affiliate_list.  I doubt this problem lies anywhere except with Comcast.  When you call Customer Service, you're speaking to someone who doesn't have a clue.

Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-08-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

So just to be clear, HBO Go will work via your identification as a Comcast subscriber? I have been reading up on Chromecast and it seems like the way to go.
Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-08-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

So just to be clear, HBO Go will work via your identification as a Comcast subscriber? I have been reading up on Chromecast and it seems like the way to go.
Regular Contributor
FrozenSlime
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

My understanding with the Chromecast device is you need another device (android or chrome running on something) to control it and 'send' content to it?  For the extra $60 I think the Apple TV is a better solution - and HBO Go works on it with Comcast.

 

Contributor
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎08-08-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

It says it works with iPad and iphone - and I do have the Chrome browser on those, plus a PC laptop that has Chrome browser.
Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-14-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

With Chromecast you need your andoid or IOs phone or tablet. It also works with the Chrome browser, I have both Roku and Chromecast and prefer the Chromecast for Netflix and Hulu.

Contributor
SillyGod
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎02-03-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Simply amazing Comcast... The roku has been out for years, yet you add support for chromst within 6 months?!
Bronze Star Contributor
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎12-05-2004

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

SillyGod wrote:
Simply amazing Comcast... The roku has been out for years, yet you add support for chromst within 6 months?!

They did not add support for Chromecast--Chromecast uses existing authentication as it simply "casts" what your Chrome browser is running on the PC to your television. It is not the Chromecast device logging into HBOGo, it is your pc.

 

The point of this thread is for those of us who ALREADY HAVE the Roku, why should we have to get (and pay for) yet another device. My TV only has so many HDMI inputs.

Contributor
SillyGod
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎02-03-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Yup. I still am waiting for roku support, for HBO go. Its already on chromecast.
Contributor
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎04-14-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Correct Comcast had nothing to do with HBOGo working on Chromecast

New Visitor
kobe2483
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

HBO Go and Roku

When will Comcast allow us to stream HBO Go on our Roku? It really would be very appreciated if it could happen soon. I already pay for my HBO subscription, so what is the hold up for allowing HBO Go to work on a Roku.

New Visitor
jont04
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-03-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

On the bottom of the Cotact Us page of Comcast's website, there is an option to read a letter from Tom Karinshak, Senior Vice President of Customer Experience at Comcast. At the conclusion of his letter, there is an option to send Tom Feedback. 

 

I went through these steps and submitted the following: "Why does Comcast not support the HBO GO channel on the Roku? Comcast's on demand feature is not the same as it does not offer all previous HBO shows." 

 

Within an hour, I received this reponse:

Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak. My name is ShaRonda. I am genuinely sorry for the inconvenience you experienced regarding not being able watch HBO GO on your Roku or Samsung TV. I can definitely provide you more information HBO to go and Comcast.

 

Comcast is continually evaluating new platforms to support for the Online TV Partners like HBOGO, but at this time have no committed dates to support HBOGO on Roku or Samsung TV’s. Although we do not have a launch date available for the compatibility of our services with the Roku. Our engineers and programmers are working diligently to make our service more compatible with all multimedia devices available today like the Roku and Smart Phone/TVs. We will continue to work with our partners to deliver even more choices to our customers in more places. For a list of supported devices, please go to: http://www.hbogo.com/#help/. You can also check your monthly statement and online at www.comcast.com for any updates.

 

HBO Contact Information 
1100 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10036-6737

Phone: 212-512-1000

 

If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to respond back to this e-mail and I would be happy to assist you. I want to thank you again for contacting us here at Comcast. We are grateful to have you as a Comcast customer, and your satisfaction is our primary goal. You are a valued Comcast customer, and it is important to us that we retain our successful relationship. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Comcast as your provider.

Sincerely,

 

ShaRonda J 

Office of Tom Karinshak 

 

 

Contributor
wsalopek
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-10-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Oh what a bunch of corporate nonsense:

 

Our engineers and programmers are working diligently to make our service more compatible with all multimedia devices available today like the Roku and Smart Phone/TVs. 

 

 All they have to do is FLIP A SWITCH.

 

Truly, they must have some worthless "engineers and programmers" if they haven't been able to accomplish in TWO POINT FIVE YEARS what other cable operators did in minutes.

 

You know...it's one thing when a corporation is just plain greedy....it's a fact of life...sad and sickening at times when morality and ethics are pushed aside to make another penny, but it's just life.

 

But when they LIE ABOUT IT...make up some nonsense about "working diligently"...that's just too much to take.

New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-22-2007

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I sent them a note asking for an explanation, they could not care less...

New Visitor
DVUser
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

Likely the best thing one can do is to voice your opinion via that support page. I had a similar but somewhat less optimistic response from Comcast...

 

Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak. My name is Brenda. I am sincerely sorry for the frustration you have experienced with regards to Comcast not supporting HBO GO on Roku. I assure you I will do everything I can to address your concerns.

 

Comcast is continually evaluating new platforms to support Online TV Partners like HBOGO, but at this time we have no committed dates to support HBOGO on Roku, however, I have forwarded your request to our management and development team. Your reference number is [#######]. This is for tracking purposes only. While we cannot honor every request, we do take your interests into consideration in planning future changes here at Comcast. Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your insightful feedback.

 

We truly appreciate your business here at Comcast and thank you for allowing us to work toward a resolution for you.

Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-22-2006

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

That sure is a lot of words just to say, "go away." That said, if you're a connoisseur of elegant "Public Relations" style answers, this one is a fine specimen. Whereas one might typically get the classic three-sentence response (Thanks for writing. We value your concerns. Have a nice day.) this one says the same thing over several paragraphs! ;-)
Regular Contributor
FrozenSlime
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Hey - just sent 'Tom' an email on my X1 issues (along with my roku request) - if we all send him Roku requests, maybe they'll get the idea... or remove the 'send tom an email' link... any bets on which happens first?

 

New Visitor
jmdidday
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-06-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Save yourself $200/mo, pain from the literally stinky devices that never work and always need to have a signal resent, cables running all over your home....and install an HD antenna.  Dont be afraid...it works beautifully.  The picture is actually better and I am willing to bet that for most of you, 90% of the programming you watch is on free public TV.  Sure, you'll miss ESPN, and MNF, and HBO realtime - but within a year, federal regulators will change all of that.  You can buy the episodes from Amazon or itunes; shows on AMC and FX post their episodes in realtime.  These guys offer a dying service, they overcharge us for it, they dont support devices such as Roku, and provide horrible customer service.  Make a stand and hang it up.  For $200/month you can do a lot to entertain yourself.  

Regular Contributor
FrozenSlime
Posts: 26
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Jim - I've tried that - I can't get a good signal from transmitters -- and with digital it's pretty much all or nothing.  I'd love to dump Comcast if I could replace them with something that delivers the same level of programming.

Contributor
wsalopek
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-10-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Contributor
wsalopek
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎08-10-2012

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

[ Edited ]

What I just sent to Tom...

 

-----------------

 

Tom,

 

There is a (2+ year-old) thread on the Comcast forums that starts here:

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271/highlight/false

 

There have also been many many phone calls to "customer service" about this issue.

 

What's the issue?

 

Basically, folks who pay you for HBO, want to be able to watch what they are paying for, on the device of their choice. In this case, a Roku.

 

Many other TV cable providers allow their subscribers to watch HBO Go on their Rokus. So this is NOT a technical problem. It is NOT a problem that requires Comcast engineers to work for months to figure out.

 

It simply requires, figuratively speaking, Comcast to FLIP A SWITCH.

 

You don't have to "diligently work on it". So PLEASE do not send me a response that includes a phrase that sounds like that (like you have sent to other customers about this same subject).

 

The principle here, Tom, is that your customers are paying you, IN FULL, for HBO. It is ethically and morally wrong of you, to simply choose to not allow them to watch, again, THE PROGRAMMING THEY ARE PAYING FOR, on the device of their choosing.

 

Again...DOZENS of other cable TV providers DO allow their customers to watch HBO Go on their Roku's. This is NOT a technical issue.

 

What you are doing to your customers, Tom, is the same as, say, McDonald's, telling their customers that they can eat the hamburger they just paid for, ONLY IN the restaurant. They can't take it to their car or to their home. They can only eat it IN the restaurant.

 

That's ridiculous of course...but it's the same as what Comcast is saying to their HBO subscribers.

 

Tom, I, and MANY other of your customers...the ones you claim to want to provide the best service for...simply want you to allow them to watch THE PROGRAMMING THEY PAY YOU FOR, in the way they want to watch it.

 

Yes yes...we can watch on PC's, tablets, phones...yes, that's great...but why exclude the Roku? Your competitors do NOT make that exclusion.

 

Please Tom...live up to your claims of customer service, and allow your customers to watch HBO Go on their Rokus.

 

 

Contributor
puregenius
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎04-24-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


jmdidday wrote:

Save yourself $200/mo, pain from the literally stinky devices that never work and always need to have a signal resent, cables running all over your home....and install an HD antenna.  Dont be afraid...it works beautifully.  The picture is actually better and I am willing to bet that for most of you, 90% of the programming you watch is on free public TV.  Sure, you'll miss ESPN, and MNF, and HBO realtime - but within a year, federal regulators will change all of that.  You can buy the episodes from Amazon or itunes; shows on AMC and FX post their episodes in realtime.  These guys offer a dying service, they overcharge us for it, they dont support devices such as Roku, and provide horrible customer service.  Make a stand and hang it up.  For $200/month you can do a lot to entertain yourself.  


I wish I had your optimism. Federal regulators are the ones who allowed Comcast and every other operator to kill Clear QAM which allowed anyone with an HD tuner to get all the broadcast networks in HD at no additional cost. The FCC may not be as bad as the FTC, but they are still in the pockets of the companies they are regulating.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-29-2005

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


wsalopek wrote:

What I just sent to Tom...

 

-----------------

 

Tom,

 

There is a (2+ year-old) thread on the Comcast forums that starts here:

 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/ROKU-HBO-GO/td-p/1100271/highlight/false

 

There have also been many many phone calls to "customer service" about this issue.

 

What's the issue?

 

Basically, folks who pay you for HBO, want to be able to watch what they are paying for, on the device of their choice. In this case, a Roku.

 

Many other TV cable providers allow their subscribers to watch HBO Go on their Rokus. So this is NOT a technical problem. It is NOT a problem that requires Comcast engineers to work for months to figure out.

 

It simply requires, figuratively speaking, Comcast to FLIP A SWITCH.

 

You don't have to "diligently work on it". So PLEASE do not send me a response that includes a phrase that sounds like that (like you have sent to other customers about this same subject).

 

The principle here, Tom, is that your customers are paying you, IN FULL, for HBO. It is ethically and morally wrong of you, to simply choose to not allow them to watch, again, THE PROGRAMMING THEY ARE PAYING FOR, on the device of their choosing.

 

Again...DOZENS of other cable TV providers DO allow their customers to watch HBO Go on their Roku's. This is NOT a technical issue.

 

What you are doing to your customers, Tom, is the same as, say, McDonald's, telling their customers that they can eat the hamburger they just paid for, ONLY IN the restaurant. They can't take it to their car or to their home. They can only eat it IN the restaurant.

 

That's ridiculous of course...but it's the same as what Comcast is saying to their HBO subscribers.

 

Tom, I, and MANY other of your customers...the ones you claim to want to provide the best service for...simply want you to allow them to watch THE PROGRAMMING THEY PAY YOU FOR, in the way they want to watch it.

 

Yes yes...we can watch on PC's, tablets, phones...yes, that's great...but why exclude the Roku? Your competitors do NOT make that exclusion.

 

Please Tom...live up to your claims of customer service, and allow your customers to watch HBO Go on their Rokus.

 

 


Nice letter.  If each of the over 1,600 posts on here were actually emails to Tom, that may have an impact, but I agree with whoever said they'd probably just remove the "Send Tom Feedback" link.  Still, it's worth a try. 

 

Use this link:  http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

 

New Visitor
Goblin288
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-07-2013

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

You can use xfinity on kindle fire hd but not on the fire. You just cant send it to your tv like netflix amazon etc. A laptop with an hdmi port to the only way I know to do that.
New Visitor
Goblin288
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-07-2013

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

You can use xfinity on kindle fire hd but not on the fire. You just cant send it to your tv like netflix amazon etc. A laptop with an hdmi port to the only way I know to do that.
Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-23-2009

Re: HBO Go - Roku blocked and can't view 90% of content, ESPN Roku not blocked

If it was just a matter of Comcast trying to force you to rent a box to watch the same content On Demand, then that would mean On Demand has the same content as HBO Go.  But it doesn't.  And you can watch On Demand with a Tivo.

 

Whatever the case, it *is* frustrating that Comcast is, for whatever odd reason, excluding Roku owners from accessing that content owned by HBO.  I just don't get it.

 

At first I thought maybe it was because Comcast was concerned about the security of the authentication system on Roku, but then other cable providers have no problem with it, and it's probably the same thing on Xbox or online... yeah, I just don't get it.  Makes no sense.  Nothing I can think of explains the situation.

New Visitor
smmuzik
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-07-2013

HBO GO on Roku

Please explain why I can get HBO Go on my Android or Apple devices but NOT on the ROKU. Verizon FIOS offers it, along with almost every cable provider in the country except one of the biggest - Comcast/Xfinity. Please consider being added as a cable provider to the Roku list so we can enjoy HBO on every TV we own. It is an inconvenience to attach the Kindle to the TV. 

New Visitor
KeithM-007
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-23-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

When will this be provided? HBO through my Ruko please. Every other provider allows it!!
New Visitor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎08-17-2008

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I sent my complaint in.. everyone needs to take a minute and do this

Use this link:  http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

 Good JOb MAZ

 

Bronze Star Contributor
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎12-05-2004

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


switt1227 wrote:

I sent my complaint in.. everyone needs to take a minute and do this

Use this link:  http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

 Good JOb MAZ

 


I sent my "complaint" in a year ago.....I switched back to Dish.

Contributor
SillyGod
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎02-03-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I went to the link, and filled in the form. Within minutes, I received a reply. The reply unfortunately was that they have no plans to ever support roku! Bizarre..
New Visitor
pkherron
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎12-11-2013

Re: HBO NO Go?

I don't know why comcast wont allow HBO GO access on Roku, it's avaliable on WOW, ATT, and several sat. providers, you can also get it through X-Box live, but the only way to go through Roku is to buy a subscription of Play On, which has it's own problems.

   Every time ive tried to ask Comcost support why its not avaliable they try to say its up to Roku and HBO, Comcast has nothing to do with it. Thats usually after I explain what Roku is??

   The bottom line is you can get HBO GO on Roku, but you have to go through Play On.

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-29-2005

Re: ROKU, HBO GO


SillyGod wrote:
I went to the link, and filled in the form. Within minutes, I received a reply. The reply unfortunately was that they have no plans to ever support roku! Bizarre..

Please post their response.  Thanks!

New Visitor
mdlucas02
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-11-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Maybe the solution is for ALL of us irritated customers to take our business elsewhere to a company that supports roku - and the customer. Since Comcast obviously doesn't care about the opinions of paying customers.
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-22-2006

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Challenge is, I don't think they particularly care about those customers defecting either...  

New Visitor
mdlucas02
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎12-11-2013

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Just found an alternative- and cheaper too. The shows and movies I like are on Netflix and only $8.00 a month. And yes there is a Netflix channel!