Contributor

Upgrade Xfinity video Player?

I have Windows 7 Home Premium browser on my computer and I have been told I need to upgrade my browser to see TV shows from Comcast. I don't want to pay $80 to get Windows 8 new browser. Is there something I can do with my current browser to get those TV shows? 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: Upgrade Xfinity video Player?

EZ-GO wrote:

I have Windows 7 Home Premium browser on my computer and I have been told I need to upgrade my browser to see TV shows from Comcast. I don't want to pay $80 to get Windows 8 new browser. Is there something I can do with my current browser to get those TV shows? 

From the information I can gather from your account, it seems like you meet most of the computer requirements to watch video online.

Try watching a video from www.XFINITY.com/tv and let me know what happens. Also let me know what video you tried to watch.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Contributor

Thanks for your reply.. but I just downloaded Microsoft Silverlight 5 and I still can not get the TV show Major Crimes TNT on Comcast TV...Need more help..I pay good money to Comcast and now I can't get TV shows..

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

EZ-GO wrote:

Thanks for your reply.. but I just downloaded Microsoft Silverlight 5 and I still can not get the TV show Major Crimes TNT on Comcast TV...Need more help..I pay good money to Comcast and now I can't get TV shows..

What error message are you getting when trying to watch Major Crimes?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Joe---I get the error message that my browser.Windows 7.. Does not support the opening up of that video and other videos..It says..In order for me to see the videos I will have to upgrade my browser to "Xfinity Video Player Upgrade" which means I have to change my browser,tool bar and homepage and I would not like to do that..   So, what Iam looking for is something I can download to my Windows 7 to fix that problem...Thanks EZ-Go

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

EZ-GO wrote:

Joe---I get the error message that my browser.Windows 7.. Does not support the opening up of that video and other videos..It says..In order for me to see the videos I will have to upgrade my browser to "Xfinity Video Player Upgrade" which means I have to change my browser,tool bar and homepage and I would not like to do that..   So, what Iam looking for is something I can download to my Windows 7 to fix that problem...Thanks EZ-Go

Download and install the Silverlight Player from the link below and then try watching Major Crimes again.

Windows users

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Joe...I have downloaded Microsoft Silverlight 5 and I still can not open that video...Is there anything else i can do...If my problem can not get fixed here I'll have to call Windows Support, Which I really do not think I should have to...I pay good money to Comcast and they can not help me...Maybe I should switch to ATT as my IP.... 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

EZ-GO wrote:

Joe...I have downloaded Microsoft Silverlight 5 and I still can not open that video...Is there anything else i can do...If my problem can not get fixed here I'll have to call Windows Support, Which I really do not think I should have to...I pay good money to Comcast and they can not help me...Maybe I should switch to ATT as my IP.... 

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Joe---I do not know how to paste things onto another wesite...Why can't you help me?...I really do not need this run around. I see where other people on this fourm are haveing the same problem...I think Xfinity should re-configure their movies to fit all browsers....Thanks

Contributor

My Device Information My Zip Code: 33322 My Cable Provider: Comcast Pompano Bch-Rebuild Rebuild Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.48.88.136 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 8 - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPDTDF; .NET4.0C) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 My flash version: 11.4 r402 Javascript: enabled Cookies: enabled Time Information My Clock Time: Thu Sep 13 15:53:58 EDT 2012 Server Clock Time: NaN
My Account Information Primary Account: False Provider Codes: s, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, br, bt, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, bz, bm, bl, bp, bo, cc, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: False

<:footer>

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

EZ-GO wrote:

Joe---I do not know how to paste things onto another wesite...Why can't you help me?...I really do not need this run around. I see where other people on this fourm are haveing the same problem...I think Xfinity should re-configure their movies to fit all browsers....Thanks

Customers use many different computer and browser combinations so there is no clear cut fix for most video playback issues.

Go here to learn about copy and pasting:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Copy-and-paste-a-file

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

I just installed Silverlight 5 this PM...and it did not help...

Contributor

I posted the info about my putter...My wife helped with copying and pasteing...

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

EZ-GO wrote:
My Device Information My Zip Code: 33322 My Cable Provider: Comcast Pompano Bch-Rebuild Rebuild Digital My myDVR Manager Status: Unknown My Set Top Box Names: Unknown My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 174.48.88.136 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 8 - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPDTDF; .NET4.0C) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.1.10411.0 

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the link below:

Windows users

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
ggaskill

This issue needs to be resolved...  It has circled throughout these forums for months...  Your fix, Joe, doesn't work...

Contributor

I uninstalled Silverlight and and installed the new one...It did not work...got to got to Windows for help

New Visitor
jsRADiO

Joe, why no additional reply? I get this message:

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

First off, why call it "Xfinity Video Player Upgrade" when it is clearly a Silverlight download? So let's cut the cr*p, and I'll start: Joe, this is not a Silverlight issue, I find that some videos play. The videos that play and don't play are both in my channel list. I'm running W7, SP1 and all browers are latest version. Where's you answer now Sparky?.. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

jsRADiO wrote:

Joe, why no additional reply? I get this message:

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

First off, why call it "Xfinity Video Player Upgrade" when it is clearly a Silverlight download? So let's cut the cr*p, and I'll start: Joe, this is not a Silverlight issue, I find that some videos play. The videos that play and don't play are both in my channel list. I'm running W7, SP1 and all browers are latest version. Where's you answer now Sparky?.. 

Try using a different web browser like Firefox or Chrome and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
girlwillow

I am having this same issue.  I am running Windows 7 - 64bit, IE 9, the most current silverlight and adobe flash, i have tried it on IE 9 and on Crome and neither is working.  Crome was just installed within the last week.  This was working just fine on Friday and when I went to use it Saturday it will not work.  Is still not working today.  There are no buttons on how to upgrade the "player" on IE9.   I have also uninstalled Silverlight from my computer and then gone to Crome and pushed the "upgrade your silverlight now" button and reinstalled it from there and when i restart crome it gives me the same message that I need to update my silverlight.  There is obviously some disconnect in YOUR system that isnt allowing us to use it.

New Visitor
jsRADiO

Joe, it has become glaringly apparent that you and/or the 'Joe team' is careless and thoughtless in these replies.

I wrote:

I'm running W7, SP1 and all browers are latest version..

Ploblem solved, with zero help from here. We're your salary, please be more conscientious. Thank you.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

girlwillow wrote:

I am having this same issue.  I am running Windows 7 - 64bit, IE 9, the most current silverlight and adobe flash, i have tried it on IE 9 and on Crome and neither is working.  Crome was just installed within the last week.  This was working just fine on Friday and when I went to use it Saturday it will not work.  Is still not working today.  There are no buttons on how to upgrade the "player" on IE9.   I have also uninstalled Silverlight from my computer and then gone to Crome and pushed the "upgrade your silverlight now" button and reinstalled it from there and when i restart crome it gives me the same message that I need to update my silverlight.  There is obviously some disconnect in YOUR system that isnt allowing us to use it.

Please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Also, please send the URLs of the videos that you are trying to watch.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
girlwillow

My Device Information My Zip Code:UnknownMy Cable Provider:UnknownMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:75.161.237.154My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPNTDF; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)My system type:smileylaugh:esktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.1.10411.0My flash version:11.4 r402Javascript&colon;enabled Cookies:enabled Time Information My Clock Time:Mon Oct 1 18:54:30 CDT 2012Server Clock Time:Mon Oct 1 18:54:47 CDT 2012
Official Employee
ComcastJoe

girlwillow wrote:
My Device Information My Zip Code:UnknownMy Cable Provider:UnknownMy myDVR Manager Status:UnknownMy Set Top Box Names:UnknownMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:75.161.237.154My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.1My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; HPNTDF; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)My system type:smileylaugh:esktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:5.1.10411.0My flash version:11.4 r402Javascript&colon;enabled Cookies:enabled

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the link below:

Windows users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop.

Follow all the on-screen instructions and then try playing videos again. Let me know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
ggaskill

jsRADiO, you responded that the problem was resolved, with zero help from these "clueless" tech support guys; can you post your steps in resolving this issue to this forum to better assist us with this issue?  I would greatly appreciate it since we are getting no where with these "Joes"...

Visitor
girlwillow

ok "Joe"  just repeating the things that you have said multiple times in this thread doesnt seem to fly.  See I have tried this mutiple times with YOUR link that you provided so ...

Been there, done that, TRY AGAIN!

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

girlwillow wrote:

ok "Joe"  just repeating the things that you have said multiple times in this thread doesnt seem to fly.  See I have tried this mutiple times with YOUR link that you provided so ...

Been there, done that, TRY AGAIN!

Can you please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer again and tell me what version of Silverlight you have installed. 

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
kurtanddinna

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade Upgrade your Xfinity Player! In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time: Windows XP: Safari 3/4 Windows Vista: IE 6, Safari 3/4 Windows 7: IE 6/7, Safari 3/4 Mac OS 10.4.11+: IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

New Visitor
javeitch

My Zip Code:80504My Cable Provider:Recommended by ComcastMy myDVR Manager Status:activatedMy Set Top Box Names:JeffMy Queue setup:FalseFacebook Queue Syncing:falseFacebook Connect:FalseMy public IP address:71.237.48.146My operating system:Windows - Windows NT 6.0My web browser:Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC1; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; BOIE9;ENUS)My system type:smileylaugh:esktop computer or other deviceMy Move player version:Not InstalledMy Silverlight version:UnknownMy flash version:11.4 r402Javascript&colon;enabled

Cookies:Enabled (2527 Bytes)Time Information My Clock Time: Sat Oct 6 15:13:52 MDT 2012 Server Clock Time: Sat Oct 6 15:13:57 MDT 2012

My Account Information Primary Account: True Provider Codes: s, bi, bj, bq, ce, cd, cf, aw, ar, cg, au, bv, b, u, c, br, bt, cm, h, ad, bw, d, al, bh, ci, a, y, bx, bu, by, bs, at, cb, ch, bz, bm, bl, bp, cj, bo, cc, f, m, bn Internet Subscriber: True Cable TV Subscriber: True Voice Subscriber: True
New Visitor
javeitch

I have already uninstalled Silverlight and reinstalled according to previous feeds and it is still not working. What is the next step?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

javeitch: It is showing that your Silverlight file is unknown which means that it has not been completely or properly uninstalled. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds and delete the mspr.hds file.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
dsn9620

I'm using Windows 7I've run into the same problem and was able to work around the problemI've found that I'm able to get things working properly by installing the latest version of Firefox, installing the latest version of flash player, and downgrading Silverlight to version 4.1There seem to be problems with using Silverlight version 5 and problems with using IE browsers (which suck for many other reasons).

Comcast customer support is useless (sorry Joe but it's true) ; hopefully you'll find this helpful and they'll wake up.

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads ( you need to uninstall version 5 before installing version 4)
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same issues for me.  I don't want to have to keep changing browsers.  Uninstalled/Reinstalled Silverlight from your link.  Restarted system.

Tried to watch:  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Storage-Wars/8528689206401769112/2293494633/Skullduggery/videos?s...

Here's the info from /computer:

My Device Information My Zip Code: 60069 My Cable Provider: Recommended by Comcast My myDVR Manager Status: activated My Set Top Box Names: Office My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 24.13.232.7 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.4 r402 Javascript&colon; enabled Cookies: Enabled (2424 Bytes)

Here's the error message:

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Pookah82 wrote:

Same issues for me.  I don't want to have to keep changing browsers.  Uninstalled/Reinstalled Silverlight from your link.  Restarted system.

Tried to watch:  http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/Storage-Wars/8528689206401769112/2293494633/Skullduggery/videos?s...

Here's the info from /computer:

My Device Information My Zip Code: 60069 My Cable Provider: Recommended by Comcast My myDVR Manager Status: activated My Set Top Box Names: Office My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: False My public IP address: 24.13.232.7 My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/5.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC; .NET4.0C; Tablet PC 2.0; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: Unknown My flash version: 11.4 r402 Javascript&colon; enabled Cookies: Enabled (2424 Bytes)

Is it working in other browsers?

Also, your Silverlight is coming up as Unknown which means that it is not installed properly. When you uninstall it, make sure that you are removing all Silverlight files.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Is it working in other browsers?  Don't know didn't try any--shouldn't have to.

Also, your Silverlight is coming up as Unknown which means that it is not installed properly. When you uninstall it, make sure that you are removing all Silverlight files.  Fixed.  Now shows:  My Silverlight version:5.1.10411.0

I think that did it.  Please instruct people to delete the mspr.hds (esp on Win7)

Contributor

Whoops!  Spoke too soon.  The site then said, that I'm almost ready.  Just have to update Silverlight. (This is when I thought I was golden.)  I updated Silverlight, restarted my browser and BOOM--the original error message comes up.  Thoughts?

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Pookah82 wrote:

Whoops!  Spoke too soon.  The site then said, that I'm almost ready.  Just have to update Silverlight. (This is when I thought I was golden.)  I updated Silverlight, restarted my browser and BOOM--the original error message comes up.  Thoughts?

You have an older version of Silverlight installed.

Completely uninstall Silverlight from your computer. Then download and install Silverlight from the appropriate link below:

Windows users 

This is a patched version that fixes most video playback issues and gets you out of the "Please install/upgrade Silverlight" loop.

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

What version should it show when I am done?  BTW, it does work on Chrome.  Also, when I installed and got a different message on the Xfinity screen that said to click a link to upgrade, I did so.  Perhaps that link should direct to the link you are now giving.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Pookah82 wrote:

What version should it show when I am done?  BTW, it does work on Chrome.  Also, when I installed and got a different message on the Xfinity screen that said to click a link to upgrade, I did so.  Perhaps that link should direct to the link you are now giving.

Silverlight version should be 5.1.10516.0.

If it works in another browser, the conflict may be with Internet Explorer 9 and Silverlight. You may have to remove Internet Explorer 9 and then download and install it again.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor
daPorkchop

Is there a fix for Xfinity for IE9 yet? I have Chrome and it works fine in Chrome, but I would pefer IE9 (for some unknown reason.)

Visitor
daPorkchop

So, I upgraded my flash player and (so far) everything works in IE9 32bit. The 64 bit currently says the same thing as it was saying before. I'm not too conserned with that at the moment though. So please disreguard my previous post! :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
klimasarajoe

I just was watching "Chicago Fire" and it played correctly. Everything looked good to me.

New Visitor
klimasarajoe

I agree w/ EZ-GO this is a royal pain in the as* !

Ya can't automatically update because you have Vista blah blah blah. I do not have Vista I have WIN 7 and I still can't get automatic updates. AT&T is looking better all the time

Administrator  Joe ( not affiliated w/ comcast or anybody else )

New Visitor
klimasarajoe

This is a reply to Administrator Joe,

I'm not administrator Joe as I  just replied, but am Klimasara Joe....who actually is named Administrator

on my PC. 

But I stand by my previous Royal pain in the a** post.