New Visitor
schultsw

Watching tv on my computer

I am able to watch movies ok, but I am trying to watch xfinity tv on my computer.  When I click on the program I want to watch I get the message:

No compatible cable boxes were found in your household.

Learn more about what you need to make this application work in your home.

When I click on the "learn more" link, it takes me to a page with intructions about downloading the xfinity tv app for smart phones.  I don't have a smart phone.  I am trying to watch on my computer.

Any suggestions?

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Re: Watching tv on my computer

Hello,

You are correct that link does not bring you to the correct page. In order you to watch a program on the computer you might have to first see if your boxes are setup correctly. To do this you will need to do the following:

1. go to xfinity.tv

2. login with your username and password

3. click on your tv

4. change to the correct zip code

5. On the bottom of the screen on the right hand side you will see a gear click on that and it will bring you to the setting page

On that page click on devices and cable boxes and add your boxes there and follow the remaining instructions.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

schultsw wrote:

I am able to watch movies ok, but I am trying to watch xfinity tv on my computer.  When I click on the program I want to watch I get the message:

No compatible cable boxes were found in your household.

Learn more about what you need to make this application work in your home.

When I click on the "learn more" link, it takes me to a page with intructions about downloading the xfinity tv app for smart phones.  I don't have a smart phone.  I am trying to watch on my computer.

Any suggestions?

We currently only have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPNU available to watch live online.

You are on the TV Listings page. When on this page, you can select a channel and that channel will appear on your TV if you have a compatible cable box. You cannot watch any live channels besides the ones mentioned above.

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. Thanks for your suggestion; we'll consider your idea of adding more live channels online for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
Jm2k

ARGH! And the commercials on TV for Comcast make it sound like I can watch any of my normal channels from my PC when I'm away from home. I want to watch the A's on Comcast sports west!!! BAD and deceptive advertising.

Contributor
aebingham

[ Edited ]

ComcastJoe wrote:

We currently only have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and ESPNU available to watch live online.

You are on the TV Listings page. When on this page, you can select a channel and that channel will appear on your TV if you have a compatible cable box. You cannot watch any live channels besides the ones mentioned above.

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. Thanks for your suggestion; we'll consider your idea of adding more live channels online for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Has anything changed since you posted this reply nearly two years ago? Seems like the advertising by Comcast (Xfinity) still makes it sound like I should be able to watch TV on my computers on at least the internal network served up by the same cable in my house???!!!

Recognized Contributor
NormAtHome

Can you please give a full description of your problem i.e. what shows are you trying to watch and can't; what error message are you getting if any?; what operating system and web browser are you using?

- Norm

Contributor
aebingham

[ Edited ]

NormAtHome,

At the time I was trying to just watch what I had tuned into on my TV, specifically it was a movie AMC ... it happened to be "Air Force One" with Harrison Ford ... but the reality is that the only shows available to watch on line that are concurrently "broadcast" to my TV are a select few (see: http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch-live-tv) [mosly sports and news networks] ... what I wanted to do was to have the SAME show that was on my TV in my living room, show up on my computer in my office because I was going back and forth ... and didn't want to miss anyting.

I didn't go any further than see that there wasn't a choice to watch the same show at the same time if it wasn't listed in the aformentioned URL.

I was wondering about why I couldn't do what I hear on all the Comcast/Xfinity advertisements that I'm deluged with on TV ... The ads don't qualify that they are ONLY TALKING about 50 or so networks ...

... so I went to the community to see what others were sayhing ... and found this somewhat dated post by ComcastJoe ... and hence I replied to find out if anything had changed in the intervening nearly two years. 

So knowing what operating system, etc. is moot since I didn't actually try to watch any of the listings on http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch-live-tv ... since I wasn't interested in watching any of them at the time. [Regarless note I use Google Chrome on Windows 8.1].

Allen

Recognized Contributor
NormAtHome

I'm not sure exactly how many channels are available for "Live" viewing through the XFinity website but A&E is one of them and I just tested it on my own computer and it works. There have been times when I wanted to watch a show live and couldn't find the right place on the Xfinity site or the show wasn't listed, I actually Googled on "Xfinity <network name> watch live" in order to find the spot on the website. The Xfinity site needs some work.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that many people find that when they have a problem in one browser, about half the time trying a different one works and that can mean someone having an issue with Chrome trys IE or FireFox and it works or visa versa. One thing about Chrome is that it uses Pepper based Flash which is compiled into the Chrome program and is not a separate plugin that can be updated by itself and to update Chrome's Flash requires a Chrome update or new version. This can sometimes be a problem because plugin based Flash can have a newer version and then Chrome is stuck until Google puts out an update, such is the case right now as Pepper based Flash is at version 14.0.0.177 and Plugin based Flash is at 14.0.0.179. Not a major difference but who knows, there was one instance where there was a newer version that the Flash auto update hadn't caught up to yet and while most shows worked I could watch Game Of Thrones on HBO but updating to the new version fixed it.

- Norm