New Visitor
kittymama

Why can't I watch my DVR recordings on my laptop?

I have a lot of things recorded on my DVR, but I only have one tv. I would like to be able to watch my recordings on my laptop in another room. Why isn't this possible?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Why can't I watch my DVR recordings on my laptop?

[ Edited ]

because how would you get them from your dvr to your laptop, what wireless or wired method would you use, no cable company has this functionality. 

So how do you think you would watch them on your laptop from your non wireless dvr to your laptop?

what you can do is go to hulu.com for free or go to xfinitytv.com and see if the shows are there to watch on your pc that is it, no other option.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

kittymama wrote:

I have a lot of things recorded on my DVR, but I only have one tv. I would like to be able to watch my recordings on my laptop in another room. Why isn't this possible?

I am sorry but this is currently not possible.

Our product team is constantly working on improving the site to make the best experience possible. Thanks for your suggestion; we'll consider your idea for a future release.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Visitor
kittymama

What I meant was, if I can log on to my xfinity account and manage my DVR recordings, why isn't there a capability to delete or watch from the same page? Is this something that is in the works, or is there a way to do it and I just haven't found it yet.

As for your questions, if I knew how to do it, either wired or wireless, I wouldn't have posted this question in the first place.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

ok so there is no way to do it. you cannot send your dvr recordings to anything, and as far as i know there is nothing in the works.   its also a license issue between comcast and the network. 

New Visitor

I'd love the option to be able to watch dvr'd shows on my computer. MY DVR WOULDN"T BE 98% full all of the time. I'd also like to be able to use a DVR HD expander to off load some stuff that I can't get to right away like Olympic coverage.

Roku looks like a good option to watch things remotely. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

A Slingbox would be the product to watch your recordings outside or inside the home.  I don't know of any Roku's that would do it.

New Visitor
mahcsm

I see that people say this is just not possible.  I did it for years with DirectTV - A beta product of their own.

New Visitor
bubbadog81

You can with direct tv. Inexcusable that comcast hasn't figured it out. May have to make the switch back.
New Visitor
musicluver411

I wonder the same things as kittymama. With all of the new technology, it would be nice if I could play things I recorded on my DVR on my iPad or computer.

Contributor
vlis

The problem is that comcast equipment is antiquated.

Contributor
delid2

Seems like it should be possible since you can send signals to record in the manage DVR section of your online account.  Ergo, Comcast should be able to provide a streaming backward retrevial.  Meaning that you send a signal to your DVR and it shows your list of or recorded programs, you then click on anyone program and then the DVR streams that program to your laptop or your smart phone the same way you can watch Xfinity TV on line or on the laptop.  ( know they don't have this functionality yet)

What i'm waiting for is an efficient way to watch DVR in any room.  At the moment i think you have to get special boxes to do this.  If i record something to DVR in my bedroom, i'd like to watch it on the DVR in my living room. Shouldn't matter that it's on the hard drive of the bedroom DVR. Everything in my home should be linked.

New Visitor
nov1766

I have the same problem having one tv. If I can't watch a movie I record from my laptop then why can't I see a listing of the movies,shows that's already recorded?

Bronze Star Contributor

rog286713 wrote:

because how would you get them from your dvr to your laptop, what wireless or wired method would you use, no cable company has this functionality. 

So how do you think you would watch them on your laptop from your non wireless dvr to your laptop?

what you can do is go to hulu.com for free or go to xfinitytv.com and see if the shows are there to watch on your pc that is it, no other option.

Well, with Comcast, it is not possible. With Dish it is. They use a slingbox adapter to stream content live to your iphone or laptop regardless of where I am, as long as I can get either a 3G, 4G or WiFi connection. So, it IS possible, just not with Comcast.

Bronze Star Contributor

alfreeland wrote:

I'd love the option to be able to watch dvr'd shows on my computer. MY DVR WOULDN"T BE 98% full all of the time. I'd also like to be able to use a DVR HD expander to off load some stuff that I can't get to right away like Olympic coverage.

Roku looks like a good option to watch things remotely. 

The only provider I know if that allows you to watch dvr'd shows on pc is Dish, using their slingbox adapter. The slingbox will stream to one device at a time and "uses" one of the receviers available tuners (i.e. only one person can watch at a time, either at home or streaming, not both at once for that tuner) It works pretty well too, even on 3G. Roku won't let you stream TO the pc, only to the tv FROM the pc--and you can't use HBOGo with Comcast on the Roku. It is great for huluplus and Amazon instant video (many free with Prime membership) streaming (Roku to tv). 

Bronze Star Contributor

delid2 wrote:

Seems like it should be possible since you can send signals to record in the manage DVR section of your online account.  Ergo, Comcast should be able to provide a streaming backward retrevial.  Meaning that you send a signal to your DVR and it shows your list of or recorded programs, you then click on anyone program and then the DVR streams that program to your laptop or your smart phone the same way you can watch Xfinity TV on line or on the laptop.  ( know they don't have this functionality yet)

What i'm waiting for is an efficient way to watch DVR in any room.  At the moment i think you have to get special boxes to do this.  If i record something to DVR in my bedroom, i'd like to watch it on the DVR in my living room. Shouldn't matter that it's on the hard drive of the bedroom DVR. Everything in my home should be linked.

Actually, they do "sort of" have the anyroom DVR--it's just not very stable. If you have the anyroom DVR, you can watch recorded shows on any of your televisions with a comcast digital receiver, as long as the DVR has not malfunctioned. I have to frequently power recycle the main DVR, and once I do that, the recordings on it can be seen in the list but not viewed in the other rooms.

However, the recordings on the second DVR can be viewed on any of the boxes in our house, including the main DVR. Note that if the box you are viewing on is a digital receiver instead of a DVR, you can only view, not set recordings.

Contributor
delid2

OK,

You've lost me on the anyroom DVR thing.  The box that Comcast gave me is the Motorola DCH 3616.  Is this the one that can be used? 

Bronze Star Contributor

delid2 wrote:

OK,

You've lost me on the anyroom DVR thing.  The box that Comcast gave me is the Motorola DCH 3616.  Is this the one that can be used? 

I do not know if teh DCH3616 is compatible or not, however, let me see if I can explain how the service works. The anyroom DVR service does require an activation fee for the "Anyroom service" to be turned on. We have at hour house two Motorola RNG200n DVR receivers and two digital settop boxes. As the service is intended to operate, we should be able to see all recorded programs from either of the DVR boxes on any of the receivers in our house, including the digital boxes. For example, I record a show on the DVR in the living room, and I can watch it in the bedroom on the television hooked to the digital box there. I can even watch the same recorded show that my husband is watching on another television.

I can see recordings from the second DVR on the main one, and view them through the main DVR on that television. So, in other words, in theory, you can watch any recorded show from any other receiver in your home. I say in theory, because ours frequently malfunctions and some of the recorded shows can't be viewed from anywhere other than the main dvr and sometimes not even there.

What you cannot do (and this was a disappointment to us) was to be able to FF, REW or pause live television shows or set any new recordings in the bedroom through the digital receiver. The anyroom DVR is only for viewing, it does not allow you to control DVR activity other than that.

Did that help or am I still being clear as mud?

New Visitor
fontleyroy

DirectTv has enabled this function for over a year now.

Bronze Star Contributor

fontleyroy wrote:

DirectTv has enabled this function for over a year now.

Dish also had it.....we went back to Dish last week.  Can't imagine why I left in the first place....

Contributor
delid2

OK,

Got ya.  I've just been recording the same shows on both DVR boxes which is a bit of a pain but it should like they haven't worked the bugs out yet so i'll wait.  Thanks again for the synopsis.  However, I'm still looking forward to when i can do what i stated in my original question.  Watch my DVR recording on my laptop while  staying at a hotel.  I travel on business and i always find myself saying that i have to wait a week or so until i get back to see the stuff on my DVR, which is sad because when i'm in the hotel room, there isn't much on TV and HBO is repetitive.  I'd just love to plug my hdmi from the laptop to the hotel flat screen and it's on.  :smileyblush:

Visitor
daPorkchop

While dish does have it (if they do, I don't know) anytime you have problems with your satelite, you can't watch it on the box. (they must store the individual shows on a cloud type service, thus allowing you to pull the information to any authorized device). The Xfinity DVRs have an 'onboard' harddrive. All your shows are saved to it. When your cable goes out or anything, you can still watch your recorded shows that are on the box. 

I'm sure Xfinity will have, one day, the recordings saved on the cloud. As of right now though, I would rather have them on my box so I can watch them anytime, even during an outage.

P.S. The 'cloud' option would also mean that it would act like VOD. So your account would have to be up to date at all times and your signal to the box would have to be pretty good. I unno, I keep liking the on board HDD more and more.  Though one downside is switching boxes loses you your recordings.

Contributor
delid2

I guess that could be remedied by having your recordings on the HHD also syncronized to the cloud.  Now you can watch it away from home, and during a power outage you can still watch at home.  I guess it depends on how much Comcast likes their customer suggestions. 

Although you are correct, i've watched my DVR recordings before when the cable signal went out, but for some reason this last time durng hurricane sandy when the cable went out i couldn't get to my DVR recordings either.  I forget what message i was getting but that sucked.

Bronze Star Contributor

Dish does have it, but the recordings are not in the cloud.  The recordings are stored on the DVR hard drive, and a slingbox adapter made for specific Dish receivers is used to transmit the programming across the internet, the DVR must be connected to the internet to allow the slingbox to stream the recordings. The other advantage is that by using the slingbox, you can also view live television on the pc, iphone or such through the Dish app. 

daPorkchop wrote:

While dish does have it (if they do, I don't know) anytime you have problems with your satelite, you can't watch it on the box. (they must store the individual shows on a cloud type service, thus allowing you to pull the information to any authorized device). The Xfinity DVRs have an 'onboard' harddrive. All your shows are saved to it. When your cable goes out or anything, you can still watch your recorded shows that are on the box. 

Bronze Star Contributor

Addendum:

If the sat is out (once or twice a year in my area  when there are super heavy storms), you can still watch recorded or on demand shows through the receiver. The recorded shows are on the DVR drive, on demand is streamed through the internet broadband connection and does not use a tuner. I can be recording on all three tuners and still view on demand (something Comcast cannot do).

New Visitor
Annichka

• CHAT ID: CF8572E3-835C-4ACE-8A52-B996B8909D53
  • Problem: need help with dvr manager online
  • Marvin > Hello Anna, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Marvin. Please give me one moment to review your information.
  • Anna > My Issue: need help with dvr manager online
  • Marvin > It is great to have you on this chat. Allow me to assist you on your concerns.
  • Marvin > xxx, are you still there? I want to ensure your issue is addressed. Can you let me know if you still require my assistance and support please?
  • Marvin > I hope that you haven't waited too long to get connected with me.
  • Marvin > You've reached the Cable Technical Department. I am your representative for today. Our goal is to provide you with a consistently superior customer experience – that’s our guarantee.
  • Marvin > How are you doing today, Anna?
  • Anna > yes
  • Anna > Hello. I am trying to work the dvr manager online for my device. The only things i can see are scheduled future recordings. I can't view the things I have recorded that I have yet to watch. Also, what us the "Manage Cable Boxes & DVRs" feature. Mine says that I have Tv control on for my device DVR1. But no such thing for TV1. I don't know what any of this means.\
  • Marvin > I will surely help you on this one, Anna.
  • Marvin > My parents does have this feature as well.
  • Anna > thank you
  • Marvin > DVR 1 means that it is the box that will have the services be available to.
  • Marvin > You are most welcome.
  • Anna > gtocha. so. what about watching my recorded shows online?
  • Marvin > I am sorry. That is not possible for you to watch the recorded shows on your DVR to the online access but that is a good idea that you have.
  • Anna > i think dish and other competitors do that already
  • Anna > hang on there was another question. can you hang on a sec?
  • Marvin > I am aware of that as well. However, you are able to watch the shows online but it you are not able to access your DVR saved shows via online.
  • Marvin > Yes, please do ask.
  • Anna > ok. so what is this manage authorized devices thing? where a household can have up to 3 devices. it lists download 2 go and streaming. what are those?
  • Marvin > That would depend on what feature you are accessing at this time.
  • Marvin > I do am able to introduce you to our AnyRoom DVR.
  • Anna > i just don't know what any of that means. yes, if you could explain. thank you.
  • Marvin > Wherein you are able to access saved shows on your room that is not a DVR.
  • Marvin > You are most welcome.
  • Anna > will you tell me howi can do that please?
  • Marvin > Here is a feature from our AnyRoom DVR.
  • Marvin > Yes.
  • Marvin > AnyRoom DVR enables customers to record programs on a single DVR, (up to 2 recordings at a time) and enjoy the recordings on up to three additional set top boxes, or media terminals, in the home. From the media terminals, customers can: View recordings View recordings in Progress View DVR folders Sort Recordings Fast forward, rewind, pause and skip forward and back when viewing the recordings Note: Slow motion and Frame Advance are not available on the terminals and customers cannot pause live television or set recordings from the terminals.
  • Marvin > There is a certain department that can process this for you.
  • Anna > ok. is that an additional cost?
  • Anna > or additional devices needed?
  • Marvin > The additional cost will be the installation only.
  • Anna > what are the media terminals? can i use something that i already have?
  • Marvin > That is both a yes and no.
  • Marvin > If you have the correct box. Yes.
  • Marvin > If you don't have the supported boxes. Then our technician will provide the correct one.
  • Anna > gotcha. well, i would like that, i think. i need to think it over
  • Anna > but at least i can call asking for this next time!
  • Marvin > Yes. You would certainly be able to, Anna. My parents at home enjoys the service.
  • Anna > that is nice.
  • Marvin > I am able to route you to the correct department for this concern of yours.
  • Marvin > They will be able to answer all of the needed questions you have.
  • Anna > i think I want to talk this over w my boyfriend first. Can I ask yo ufor that department's number so I can call later?
  • Marvin > Oh! you will be routed to our Sales Department for that.
  • Anna > gotcha.
  • Anna > ok well thank you for your help, Marvin.
Bronze Star Contributor

Anna,

There will be a 29.95 activation fee to activate the Anyroom service. There may or may not be an additional monthly fee for the service, depending on your plan and region; customer service should be able to give you the information (GET IT IN WRITING!! the hidden costs can add up).  With the AnyRoom DVR, you SHOULD, as the chat rep indicated, be able to view recordings from the DVR from any of the digital boxes in your home, although I had issues where mine acted up fairly frequently. When watching the recorded shows, you can FF, REW or pause the recording, but NOT live television from the digital boxes. Of course, REW, FF and pause are available on the DVR itself.  Also, you cannot set a timer, start a recording or delete a recording from any of the digital boxes; those functions can only be done on the DVR itself.

Note that there are only 2 tuners. On Demand takes one of the tuners, so you cannot watch or record on two tuners while watching an on demand program on the DVR.

Contributor
delid2

That's cool and everything but it's bad enough that comcast is kind of an Oligopoly and charging an additional $29 for this service is bulll. I have to pay for each addtional DVR in my home and the Package i have coupled with internet service is around $200 per month. No way they're getting anymore money out of me. I refuse to have my cable bill approaching the amount of a car payment. Anyroom DVR should not be an extra cost especially if you're already renting all the equipment from them.
Bronze Star Contributor

delid2 wrote:
That's cool and everything but it's bad enough that comcast is kind of an Oligopoly and charging an additional $29 for this service is bulll. I have to pay for each addtional DVR in my home and the Package i have coupled with internet service is around $200 per month. No way they're getting anymore money out of me. I refuse to have my cable bill approaching the amount of a car payment. Anyroom DVR should not be an extra cost especially if you're already renting all the equipment from them.

Oh, I agree completely. I think "activation fees" are ridiculous for any provider, especially since it is nothing more than changing a setting on a computer system.  A "click of the mouse" takes how long?  You also have to pay for a technician to come out and install the AnyPlay system (apparently it is not as simple as using existing equipment or cabling) and that costs an extra 99.00 over and above the activation fee. Even the cell phone activation fees are ridiculous--especially when ordering the phone online. They send the phone, the customer does all the work beyond that.  Where does the phone company justify a 36.00 activation fee? 
 <sigh>

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

DMilnerJax wrote:

delid2 wrote:

Oh, I agree completely. I think "activation fees" are ridiculous for any provider, especially since it is nothing more than changing a setting on a computer system.  A "click of the mouse" takes how long?  You also have to pay for a technician to come out and install the AnyPlay system (apparently it is not as simple as using existing equipment or cabling) and that costs an extra 99.00 over and above the activation fee. Even the cell phone activation fees are ridiculous--especially when ordering the phone online. They send the phone, the customer does all the work beyond that.  Where does the phone company justify a 36.00 activation fee? 
 <sigh>

AnyPlay can be self installed,  AnyRoom DVR needs a tech install with associated installation charges.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

JayInAlg wrote:
AnyPlay can be self installed,  AnyRoom DVR needs a tech install with associated installation charges.

My mistake, I meant the AnyRoom. I had issues with both. Yes, AnyPlay can be self installed. However, it only streams to tablets on the home WIFI network. It also carries an extra 10.00/month advanced technology fee. Also, the self install kit for AnyPlay costs 10.00 with an additional 9.99 shipping fee and an additional fee to ship it back when you find out that despite what the very nice sales guy said, it will not let you stream live television to your iPhone or pc when you are away from home.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

I have AnyPlay, I know the costs and what it all does.  Mine just increased to $11.

As a Mod on the forum, we are requested to post corrections to inaccurate information.

Bronze Star Contributor

JayInAlg wrote:

I have AnyPlay, I know the costs and what it all does.  Mine just increased to $11.

As a Mod on the forum, we are requested to post corrections to inaccurate information.

As it should be, it was my mistake to start with. I'm not allowed to give blood anymore because I was in Europe for over six months when I was in the Navy between 1986 and 1985.  They say I am a "suspect" for mad cow disease, since there was a breakout of that in Sicily during that period of time. It makes a wonderful excuse when making silly mistakes...:smileywink:

New Visitor
suzzettemeyer73

yeah Rog that was VERY rude of you to say. Now there is a way for you to delete your dvr recordings on your online account but I agree with her that there should be a way to watch your dvr just like you can tv shows and such. Also, I am a IT tech and I know that it may be hard or a pain for xfinity to make that a capability but it is doable. :-)

Visitor
BarChefPro

Why do you feel the need to be condescending? Either answer the question professionally or go pound sand. No one needs the holier than thou attitude.
Visitor
BarChefPro

[ Edited ]
Man
New Visitor
Trythefish71

Because the competitors like DirecTV let you watch your recordings via streaming.
Contributor
delid2

I think you're on the right track. My thoughts are... like mentioned, since we are able to log on to xfinity and manage dvr we should be able to
Watch what you've recorded and here's why. Your manage dvr knows what you've recorded and can therefore link or bookmark the same recorded
Show to the database online. In other words, you may not actually be watching the same exact recording on your dvr but watching the same
Show you recorded from the xfinity database which is essentially the same thing as watching on demand which is something we can currently do.
Get it? We just need the recorded show linked to its location online.