Contributor

XFinity TV not working

Same as everyone else, screen is black when movie is trying to play.  Also, when I click on Homeland, something called Faster appears but still does not play.  Installed Silverlight 5, but no changes.  Using Explorer 9, 32bit. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Re: XFinity TV not working

millerholman1 wrote:

Same as everyone else, screen is black when movie is trying to play.  Also, when I click on Homeland, something called Faster appears but still does not play.  Installed Silverlight 5, but no changes.  Using Explorer 9, 32bit. 

Try using a different web browser and let me know if it works. This is not a permanent solution but it will help us narrow down your issue.

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Contributor

Re: XFinity TVstill not working

Tried going into XFinity using Google Chrome (rather than Explorer 9) and accessing Showtime's Homeland.  Same issue:  click on Homeland, and Faster comes up, but still no video. 

New Visitor
brianforan

I had this problem on Chrome but it's working fine on firefox if you're still having problems

Contributor

Thanks Brian, I did get it to work using Firefox.  Really appreciate your assistance.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

If it is working in Firefox but not in IE9 or Chrome, then it may be add-ons or plug-ins in those browsers that are blocking videos from playing.

Try disabling all ad blocking videos in those browsers and then try watching videos again.

If that does not work, do you have any anti-virus software insatlled?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Joe, thanks for all your thoughts, but it worked fine for months and then all of a sudden it stopped working.  With all the customers who found this forum, rather than having to talk with someone who can't help them, can you really keep on telling all of us it's something we are doing?  It's not a constant fix in Firefox either, just at the time someone suggested it, it worked--doesn't now.

New Visitor
OskrFLVZ

[ Edited ]

Similar problem here. Most of the shows I want to watch don't work. I just get a black screen.  Some of them actually give me all the initial advertisements and open the player, but won't load the show.

EDIT: I already tried updating Silverlight (By the way, silverlight sucks everywhere. Xfinity should stop using it.). Using Chrome. IE8 seems to work, at least with the show Im trying to watch...

New Visitor
brianforan

It's still working for me on FF, but I do disagree with the ads/AV. Whenever there's something on my computer I don't use, I uninstall/delete it. I don't have any plugins on Chrome, and I know it doesn't work on Safari. Avast+Chrome works fine with other TV services like Hbogo.  

New Visitor
SMPInvestimenti

Hello,

I am having the same problem.  We have been watching shows with Chrome for months.  A few days ago they stopped working.  The preview ads begin, then shut off.  Then nothing.  A few shows did work, but not many.

I tried with IE and all is working fine.  Dissabled all extensions and cleared all data in Chrome and still nothing.

Any solutions yet?

Thanks,

Stephen

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

Usually if it is working in one browser and not the other, it is a browser issue and not a Xfinity or computer issue.

Sometimes, browsers automatically install patches and add-ons which can conflict with videos from playing. Try disabling any ad-blocking add-ons and plug-ins and try videos again.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
andrewmerriman

I am having the same problem.  It either doesn't get all of the way through the ads or it gets to the video and then wont start (sometimes i get a blank screen, sometimes i get the player that won't start).  I have reinstalled flash and installed silverlight 5.  It works in Firefox, but not in Chrome or IE9 (all most recent versions)  I am running Windows 7 professional (64 bit) on a brand new dell latitude.  I have disabled all plugins, allowed all java scripts, allowed all videos to play, and allowed videos to play.  You say you think it is the browser, but I can't make any more changes to the settings without specific recommendations (if indeed it is the browser, which i question).  Is it possible that the new video player is incompatible with these browsers instead of incorrect settings?  Here is my computer info as per your website (ip address excluded: 

My Device Information My Zip Code: 77054 My Cable Provider: Comcast Houston Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: My public IP address: **.**.***.** My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/1; MDDR; InfoPath.3) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.1 r102 Javascript&colon; <script type="text/javascript"></script> enabled Cookies: enabled

I also have a screenshot of my screen where the player appears, but will not start.  Also of note, some videos will play (such as NCIS) but not others (such as Dexter). I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

andrewmerriman wrote:

I am having the same problem.  It either doesn't get all of the way through the ads or it gets to the video and then wont start (sometimes i get a blank screen, sometimes i get the player that won't start).  I have reinstalled flash and installed silverlight 5.  It works in Firefox, but not in Chrome or IE9 (all most recent versions)  I am running Windows 7 professional (64 bit) on a brand new dell latitude.  I have disabled all plugins, allowed all java scripts, allowed all videos to play, and allowed videos to play.  You say you think it is the browser, but I can't make any more changes to the settings without specific recommendations (if indeed it is the browser, which i question).  Is it possible that the new video player is incompatible with these browsers instead of incorrect settings?  Here is my computer info as per your website (ip address excluded: 

My Device Information My Zip Code: 77054 My Cable Provider: Comcast Houston Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: false Facebook Connect: My public IP address: **.**.***.** My operating system: Windows - Windows NT 6.1 My web browser: Explorer 9 - Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/1; MDDR; InfoPath.3) My system type: Desktop computer or other device My Move player version: Not Installed My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0 My flash version: 11.1 r102 Javascript&colon; <script type="text/javascript"></script> enabled Cookies: enabled

I also have a screenshot of my screen where the player appears, but will not start.  Also of note, some videos will play (such as NCIS) but not others (such as Dexter). I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Videos work on all three of those browsers.

Try uninstalling than reinstalling Chrome and IE and then try watching videos again.

Do you have any anti-virus software installed?

Thanks,
Joe

Contributor

Thanks Joe, I just uninstalled and resinstalled Silverlight.  I was able to access Showtime using IE9, 32-bit.  Also was able to watch Homeland on Showtime using Firefox, but received a message at the end with an error message needing to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight, which I did again.

Thanks again for sticking with the issue and helping us out.

Mike 

New Visitor
tommarlene69

mozilla firefox works

New Visitor
glennsouthward

I am having the same problem as many other people.

I use Chrome and I don’t care about any other browser.

The bottom line is this. It worked last week. It doesn’t work now.

Nothing changed on my end.

However, I went through and tried various changes to get it to work.

I even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome. No change.

Some TV shows work and some don’t:

The following shows work:

Covert Affairs

Grim

Ringer

The following shows don’t work:

Dexter

Homeland

Weeds

How is it you can say that the problem is on my end? Please fix Xfinity TV so it works properly.

New Visitor

amen my brother! he took the words right outta my mouth.

Contributor
Phoop

Also using Internet explorer 9, have installed Silverlight version 5 but cannot watch certain TV shows.  The Dialogue box for installing Silverlight continually pops up on some shows

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

glennsouthward,

What version of Chrome are you using?

Have you tried another browser? This is not a permanent solution but can help us narrow down the issue.

The shows that work and the shows that do not work use different technologies. The videos that do not work are using Mircrosoft Silverlight. Please update the most up to date version if you haven't already here:

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with some of the others.  Something that worked a week or so ago and now does not work cannot simply be blamed on the user when it is wide spread (multiple users) and on multiple platforms (IE & Chrome).  I will include all my information as per the information to help you solve the issue.  So far, I have ensured that DRM is enabled, I have disabled extensions, I have reloaded the page, I have ensured the user account is logged on, etc.  I have also gone through and made sure that all component are up to date.  Below is the remainder of the information.

I am trying to play a video but it is not starting.

If a video is not playing, please go to our Help page and make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements and that you have tried all the troubleshooting steps that our on this page:
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player
  DONE

If you have followed all the steps on this page and videos are still not working for you, Post a new topic and include the following information:

- go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in your new created topic

My Device Information
   My Zip Code: 15701
   My Cable Provider: Comcast Blairsville Rebuild Digital
   My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed
   My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed
   My Queue setup: False
   Facebook Queue Syncing: False
   Facebook Connect: Not Installed
   My public IP address: ##.###.###.##
   My operating system: Windows - Undefined
   My web browser: Chrome 16 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
   My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device
   My Move player version: Not Installed
   My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0
   My flash version: 11.1 R102
   Javascript&colon; Enabled
   Cookies: Enabled

-a link to the video you are trying to watch
 Currently Not Working:

Previously Watched, but Currently Not working:

-What is happening when trying to watch a video? Be as specific and detailed as possible.
 It progress will freeze at various points.  Sometimes it wil freeze loading the channel screen, other times it will stop at the movie screen.  At the play movie screen it will have a play arrow and will not automatically start, nor will it play if the arrows are pushed, and will not show any time on the counter.  It does not matter if an attempt is made to reload the page or go back and reselect the video.  We are also logged in to our account.

-Even though this video is not working, are any other videos working?
 Currently Working:

If you need any additional information, please feel free to ask.  As far as my side, I seem to have done eveything.  Please try to fix this issue.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

MichaelEBailey wrote:

I have to agree with some of the others.  Something that worked a week or so ago and now does not work cannot simply be blamed on the user when it is wide spread (multiple users) and on multiple platforms (IE & Chrome).  I will include all my information as per the information to help you solve the issue.  So far, I have ensured that DRM is enabled, I have disabled extensions, I have reloaded the page, I have ensured the user account is logged on, etc.  I have also gone through and made sure that all component are up to date.  Below is the remainder of the information.

I am trying to play a video but it is not starting.

If a video is not playing, please go to our Help page and make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements and that you have tried all the troubleshooting steps that our on this page:
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/help/technical-support/xfinity-tv-player
  DONE

If you have followed all the steps on this page and videos are still not working for you, Post a new topic and include the following information:

- go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in your new created topic

My Device Information
   My Zip Code: 15701
   My Cable Provider: Comcast Blairsville Rebuild Digital
   My myDVR Manager Status: Not Installed
   My Set Top Box Names: Not Installed
   My Queue setup: False
   Facebook Queue Syncing: False
   Facebook Connect: Not Installed
   My public IP address: 71.206.244.88
   My operating system: Windows - Undefined
   My web browser: Chrome 16 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7
   My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device
   My Move player version: Not Installed
   My Silverlight version: 5.0.61118.0
   My flash version: 11.1 R102
   Javascript&colon; Enabled
   Cookies: Enabled

-a link to the video you are trying to watch
 Currently Not Working:
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/Cedar-Rapids/154187/2172705624/Cedar-Rapids-%28Cinemax%29/videos
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/The-Mechanic/154055/2174219636/The-Mechanic/videos
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/The-Adjustment-Bureau/154183/2171448725/The-Adjustment-Bureau-%2...
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Rizzoli-%26-Isles/106474/2178521730/Don-t-Stop-Dancing%2C-Girl/video...
 Previously Watched, but Currently Not working:
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/Battle%3A-Los-Angeles/154695/13116529/Battle%3A-Los-Angeles/vide...
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/The-Green-Hornet/148936/2095161022/The-Green-Hornet/videos
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/movies/The-A-Team/148929/2075299549/The-A-Team-%28Cinemax%29/videos

-What is happening when trying to watch a video? Be as specific and detailed as possible.
 It progress will freeze at various points.  Sometimes it wil freeze loading the channel screen, other times it will stop at the movie screen.  At the play movie screen it will have a play arrow and will not automatically start, nor will it play if the arrows are pushed, and will not show any time on the counter.  It does not matter if an attempt is made to reload the page or go back and reselect the video.  We are also logged in to our account.

-Even though this video is not working, are any other videos working?
 Currently Working:
   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Saturday-Night-Live/10009/2178032608/Jimmy-Fallon/videos

If you need any additional information, please feel free to ask.  As far as my side, I seem to have done eveything.  Please try to fix this issue.

Thank you for reporting your problem.

What version of Windows are you using? Also, we see mostly only Chrome 16 and Internet Explorer 9 are causing people issues. Can you please try Firefox 8 or Chrome 15 and see if videos work.

Thanks,
Joe

Visitor

[ Edited ]

I am using Windows Vista.  The videos work in Firefox 9.0 well.  I will use this work around for now.

The issue remains, that Chrome worked just the other week and now does not.  The same version that I have now.  I have not changed anything.  I have not done anything except update software after the problem was experienced, as per the Comcast website.

From what seems to be on the thread and the site there appears to be Comcast issues with IE and Chrome, the biggest and another widely used browser, it needs to be addressed rather than blaming the users or telling them to use another browser.  It would be an OK thing to address it as I have as a work around until the issue is resolved, but to simply not recognize an issue is a problem unto itself.

Please forward this to the one in charge of the technology department, because it needs to be addressed.  As this is part of what I pay for, the least the company can do is figure out what they are doing.  As it worked before, it should not be to difficult.

Thank You,

MICHAEL E BAILEY

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Videos not working in Google Chrome 16 is our fault. It should be compatible with our site.

Google Chrome 15 automatically updates its users with the newest stable version. So you probably did do nothing different and then videos stopped working. We also had a similar issue when Chrome went from 9 to 10.

I am sorry if I am coming across blaming the users because I am not trying to at all. That is not my intention. Once we figure out our issue Google Chrome 16, videos will work for you. Other users having issues with Firefox maybe having video playback issues also but the root of their issues are different. In that case, it may be something on the user's end that needs to be adjusted. I am just trying to separate these two groups of users.

Our team is currently working on it and I will update you when I learn more.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience,
Joe

Contributor

Thanks Joe, I about dropped when I read Comcast was admitting to a problem on your end.  It is much easier for users to accept an issue exists when the company we invest in is upfront with us.  Your customers have spent a great deal of time and effort trying to view Xfinity TV, and it just is not a good experience (beyond frustrating) to have it available one day, and with no notice from Comcast, to be locked out of expensive premium channels or to keep trying to access black screens the next time.  And please don't forget IE 9 is not working either.  Good luck with all the required fixes.

Mike 

Visitor

Thank You

Michael

New Visitor
glennsouthward

Thank you for the feedback and information.

The advice to update the Microsoft Silverlight was helpful.

My Chrome was up to date with version 16 running on Windows 7.

Wish there had been some earlier indication that the Microsoft Silverlight needed to be updated to fix or prevent this problem. Unfortunately I didn’t know what Silverlight was and that it needed to be updated. The earlier posts referencing Silverlight didn’t mean anything to me. Learned something new.

All shows appear to be working properly now.

Thank you.

New Visitor
Clipthrott

I am still not able to access videos It says that I do not have a subscription, which I do.  I have tried to access using IE, Firefox, and Chrome.  I have even downloaded the new version of siverlight and cleared my cache

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

A release has been sent out for Internet Explorer 9 and Google Chrome 16. Please try watching videos again in these browsers and let me know if they work.

Clipthrott wrote:

I am still not able to access videos It says that I do not have a subscription, which I do.  I have tried to access using IE, Firefox, and Chrome.  I have even downloaded the new version of siverlight and cleared my cache

Make sure that you are signed in with your Comcast.net e-mail address or Comcast ID. If you are not signed in or are signed in with a non-Comcast account, our site will not be able to verify your subscriptions.

Also, please go to www.xfinitytv.com/computer and copy the information you see on-screen and paste it in this thread so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor
Clipthrott

My Device Information My Zip Code: 30324 My Cable Provider: Comcast N. Fulton Broadband Digital My myDVR Manager Status: My Set Top Box Names: My Queue setup: False Facebook Queue Syncing: False Facebook Connect: My public IP address: 72.16.179.86 My operating system: Windows - Undefined My web browser: Chrome 16 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, Like Gecko) Chrome/16.0.912.63 Safari/535.7 My system type: Desktop Computer Or Other Device My Move player version: 071706000001 My Silverlight version: 4.0.60831.0 My flash version: 11.1 R102 Javascript&colon; Enabled Cookies: Enabled

Contributor

Joe, IE 9, 64-bit is now working, looks great, and loads quickly.  Thanks so much.

Mike

New Visitor
brianforan

Chrome works but now Firefox isn't working. Using latest version of firefox and Windows 7 up to date.

Contributor
Phoop

IE 9 still not working on my stystem with windows 7 up to date

Contributor
Phoop

Guess I should be more specific.  IE9(64 bit) will load some programs but not others.  For example "Modern Family works fine"  but the series "Rizzolo and Isles"  I get the following error

Xfinity Video Player Upgrade

Upgrade your Xfinity Player!

In order to watch On Demand Online videos with "HD-Like" picture quality, you need to install the new Xfinity Player

We're sorry, but for watching On Demand Online videos the following browsers are NOT officially supported at this time:

• Windows XP: Safari 3/4
  • Windows Vista:  IE 6, Safari 3/4
  • Windows 7:  IE 6/7, Safari 3/4
  • Mac OS 10.4.11+:  IE 6/7/8, Chrome 4

If I try 32 bit version of IE9 I get the prompt to install Silverlight but my Silverlight is already updated to the latest version 5

Contributor

You might try reinstalling Silverlight which seems to be quite sensitive for IE9 viewing. 

Contributor
Phoop

Tried that as well to no avail.  Thanks though

New Visitor

I seem to have the same problem....Could watch stuff last week but not this week. I haven't changed anything....They had me reset my box. But did no good....Can watch some shows, and some that I watched a week or two ago, can no longer get....Frustrating!!!!

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

wishbone451 wrote:

I seem to have the same problem....Could watch stuff last week but not this week. I haven't changed anything....They had me reset my box. But did no good....Can watch some shows, and some that I watched a week or two ago, can no longer get....Frustrating!!!!

We are still looking into the IE9 issues. Please go here for updates.

In the meantime, please try using other browsers for video playback.

Thanks,
Joe

New Visitor

I haven't changed anything at all ,it was working fine, and about 3 episodes ago it stopped working. Most of my stuff works I think it is just tnt that wont play on mine now. It gets all the way up to the screen going dark and the dots going across the screen to start playing but it never starts....It also says you have to be a tnt subscriber, I am....That hasn't changed.....Hope that it gets straightened out soon. It was all working fine till, you started changing the looks and stuff of the site.....

New Visitor
idtangel

Temporary fix is to go to Firefox and load its browser to your laptop / Pc. Microsoft wont tell you the fix for their problem and Lisa at Xfinity/Denver, was very helpful to inform me of Firefox Com , its free and works well

My computer is Pro everything and all updates with patches,  yet windows and Microsoft needs help! And yes I do have many media players. .. Maybe an apple a day is the answer!

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Videos should now be working in the 32-bit version of IE9.

Please try watching a video in Internet Explorer 9 again.

Thank you for your patience and feedback and sorry for the inconvenience,

Joe