Contributor
FedUpX10

AUDIO PROBLEMS

I am a new Comcast customer about a month and a half now. I am very disatisfied. From day one I keep losing the sound. The only way to get the sound back is to change the channel. I shouldn't have to do that. I'm sick of paying for a service that I am not getting. I have had to make several phone calls for service. 2 Techs came to my house and said they have the same problem with their Comcast service but don't know how to fix it. They did try switching out the cable box and HD cable but that didn't fix the problem.Its very annoying since it happens all the time. Very hard to watch TV without sound. I never had this problem when I had Directv. I want it fixed. Please help. We are ready to cancel our service over this.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS

is it only the sound or picture also?  Did they check the signal strength coming into your house?  How do you have the box connected to the tv?  What cable box do you have?  Have you changed the audio settings in theh menu?   Some more info might help the people here narrow down what your problem might be.  Also where are you located?

Contributor
FedUpX10

Its only the sound. you hear a noise first and then the sound goes out till you change the channel. The techs said the signal was fine. The techs connected everything up. We have a HD duel tuner DVR cable box. We never changed any of the audio settings. The 2 techs agreed there was a problem but said they have no idea what is causing it. They told us they have the same problem with their own cable. The audio goes out all day long. It happens on all channels including HD. This has been happening since Comcast hooked it up. We are in Massachusetts.

New Visitor
Doublezero1

I have been having the same issue for weeks. Sound goes out constantly and imhave to channel up or down to get it back. Right now I am sitting here looking at a black screen. Channels show up but no picture or sound. A message is on the screen that says "one moment please, thus channel should be available shortly". This message is on every station. All morning no TV. The New Xfinity DVR sucks also. In addition I also get messages that I am not authorized to view stations, which is stupid because they are the major networks like ABC, NBC etc. I have to wait several minutes for the station to kick in. My blood pressure is through the roof.
Visitor

We recently upgraded to the Preminum package w/DVR. Also having sound issue mostly above channel 100 . Spanish, childrens and shopping channels seem to come in perfect. HBO SHow Max Encore etc all have sound video issues stopping, patchy, no sound. Totally unwatchable. If the video is clear then the sound quits until up/down channel change. I was looking here for in-home causes/solutions. I'm not having a good feeling about this. Is the problem demand related? Bandwidth problem? We will go back to basic cable if this continues. And lodge a complaint with the FCC.

We are in NJ, 20 miles from the corporate office. 

New Visitor
New Visitor
ggp

I have been using comcast for a few years but recently I noticed the sound go out on a recorded program. It was the last episode of Biggest Loser. Since I was using an old VCR tape, I just assumed that was the problem. Today I noticed that it happened again. I set up my box to record a program and when I turned on the TV, there was not sound. Changing the channel did restore the sound, but my recording was missing the sound. Comcast REALLY needs to investigate this issue.

New Visitor
Doublezero1

I can't watch any program on any TV in the house without the sound or video going out.  Happens all day long, and all night long.  Comcast is ripping me off.  The people need to file suit!

Visitor

Re: AUDIO PROBLEMS update solution improvment

After having problems with audio dropping and pixilation I did this.

Connected the DVR box directly to the incoming line, nothing else in the house was connected.

Result: Perfect picture and sound on all channnels. No dropping for the 30 mins  I watched various channels.

Next step: add only  internet modem. Result Perfect picture and sound. Conclusion my cable wiring system had a problem. Next step: check all cable junctions. I found all but one splitter in the (guess where) attic were the Comcast installed brand. It was 1 gigaHz rated but clearly marked made in CHina. I was able to swap the attic spliiter with another Comcast splitter and am having no problems with my sound or picture on any channel. If that changes I will post back.

Reason for splitter failure? maybe related to recent electrical storm we had some close lighting?

And one other word of advice, be patient when moving the DVR from room to room. Just wait. It says "Call Comcast set not authorized" but that is not necessary just wait. Cycle the power. Hit the info button.  Or just wait.

Good luck. 

Contributor
varlene

We have a Cisco RNG200 HD DRV and our audio cuts out too. Very annoying. The picture looks fine but all of a sudden there is no sound coming out of people's mouths. What is interesting though is if we rewind and replay that section, the sound is there, it just didn't make it through the first time.  The cutting out of the audio happens every day, several times a day; often, in fact.  Strange and very annoying.

I haven't had a chance to check that our splitters are all Comcast certified as opposed to being made in China which might affect our audio, but it will have to wait because our RNG200 box won't turn on and stay on, it just keeps rebooting and rebooting, which is what brought me to the forum today to vent. 

Contributor
FedUpX10

We have the premium service with DVR too and our sound goes out on all the channels all day and night. Comcast has done nothing to fix it. The 2 techs we had said they know about the problem but don't know how to fix it. I plan on calling Comcast again. We shouldn't have to pay for this. It is so annoying. We never had this problem with Directv. I noticed the sound goes out when you watch the DVR too.

Contributor
FedUpX10

Not only do we lose the sound on the channels we are watching we lose the sound on everything we watch on our DVR. Comcast needs to investigate.

Contributor
FedUpX10

I agree its so annoying to try and watch a show when the sound keeps going out. I would think with all these complaints Comcast would investigate.

Contributor
FedUpX10

We are experiencing the exact same problem. It is very strange when you can rewind and the sound comes back. I hope Comcast figures this out soon.

Contributor
FedUpX10

We are having the same problem with the sound. We did have picture issues too where our screen just froze up and I couldn't do anything to get it back. No sound and no picture. I called Comcast and they refreshed it. I wish they would fix the sound issues. I don't understand why Comcast doesn't bother to read our complaints and do something about it.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

why dont you try to put the cable directly into your tv and bypass the box and see if anything changes.  Is this on live tv or just dvr recordings?  If you go direct to the tv and bypass the box and you have no problems then you know you have a box issue not a cabling issue.

Contributor
FedUpX10

We tried that and we still are having audio problems. Comcast did switch the box once and we still have the same problem. It happens during live TV and DVR recordings. We really wish Comcast would fix this. You'd think they'd care about their customers especially a brand new customer like us.

Regular Visitor

I also have sound issues audio is connected to optical port signal is fine don't know what to do..

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

only one thing to do.  Trace your line in from the outside of the house.  And then check for splitters and old cable along the run as the poster above stated.  Why didn't the tech do this?  who knows most of them are lazy subs.  If you want a solution you might have to do some investigation on you own.  Trace the lines and see if you find any splitters that might be the problem.

Regular Visitor

only split once less than 2 weeks old. i just plug in a signal booster all is fine some times I have to unplug it i.m way out in rural community signal fluctuates all time.I really don't have serious issue's just thought i'd let people know they are not alone with the issue.:smileygrin:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

kerker1 wrote:

only split once less than 2 weeks old. i just plug in a signal booster all is fine some times I have to unplug it i.m way out in rural community signal fluctuates all time.I really don't have serious issue's just thought i'd let people know they are not alone with the issue.:smileygrin:

A drop amp is not intended as a "band aid" for fluctuating signals, it is designed to compensate for splitter and coax loss in the home.  The Comcast RF system is designed to keep the signal levels close, and will only vary a few db from winter to summer. 

If your getting wide swings in signal levels or signal to noise, then a Comcast tech visit is mandatory to find and fix the true issue with the signals.

Visitor

Same problem here with audio drop outs.  In my case, I can say with certainty that the problem is associated with the Cisco RNG200 DVR.  I have two DVRs; the RNG200 and a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.  These audio problems occur ONLY on the RNG200.  The SA 8300HD is fine.  A neighbor with only the RNG200 was also having the same problems, took my advice and replaced his Cisco unit with a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD.  Problem solved. 

Contributor
FedUpX10

After dealing with audio dropout problems for almost 3 months Comcast said it must be the TV. Comcast rewired everything inside and out. Still audio problems. Comcast even had techs sit outside our house to watch TV to try and fix the problem. Comcast said it must be the TV. We called the Best Buy Geek Squad and in 2 minutes they fixed the audio dropout problems. The TV was fine it was the cable audio output settings that needed to be changed. Haven't had a problem since.

On the cable remote hit power, then menu, then additional HDMI settings. Change from auto output to L-PCM. Should solve the problem. If it doesn't it is possible that your TV may need a software update from the TV manufacturer. Sony and Samsung know about this problem with the cable box and can help you with this if need be. I hope this helps.

Visitor

Which cable box are you referring to?  The power/menu doesn't do anything
special with either of my DVRs.  Navigating the setup menu on both boxes leads
to two different AUDIO setup menus with no mention of L-PCM.  The drop out
problem is probably related to one these settings, but I couldn't find any
documentation on Comcast's site.  I've been avoiding a trouble call to Comcast
because I don't want to go through what you had to endure (been there, done that
many times before).
Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you have to have the cable box off, then press menu and you will see what he is talking about.

Visitor

I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate the help, but it dosen't work on my DVR.  I'm using a Cisco RNG200.  Pressing Power Off, then Menu doesn't do a thing.  Which cable box are you referring to?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

You can try this.

turn on tv and dvr then to turn off dvr and immediately press the MENU button on the dvr and an on-screen pic settings list will appear

The other set up works for motorola boxes.  

Contributor
FedUpX10

We have a new Motorola DCX3400/A385/010/500. This is our 3rd cablebox from Comcast and they said its their newest model. Our audio dropout problem has been fixed and we haven't had it since we switched to the L-PCM. Comcast is aware of the audio dropout problem. I would ask Comcast for a new cablebox at no charge that they can either send to you or you could pick one up at a local Comcast office. We had to go to the Executive level at Comcast and they were very nice to deal with. This should fix your problem and remember though some TV brands may need an additional software update from the TV manufacturer themselves. The Geek Squad told me that most people do not need this update and that just switching the audio setting will fix the problem. You shouldn't have to pay for a service call either since it is a problem with the cablebox settings.You may have to talk with a supervisor but trust me its all worth it to have your sound back. After we complained on this site we got a call from the Comcast Executive level and they stayed on the problem at no cost to us until it was fixed. We were impressed with Judy at Comcast Executive level who stuck with us and kept us updated until the problem was fixed. I hope this helps.

Contributor
FedUpX10

I guess everyone has different cableboxes. If you can't find where your audio settings are you can call Comcast and they should be able to walk you through it over the phone. Just tell them your looking for the audio output setting and they should be able to find it for you so you can change it. We had no idea where ours was. The Geek Sqaud guy showed us. I made sure to make note of where it was. We only had Comcast for 2 1/2 months so this was all new to us. All the Comcast techs they sent to our house couldn't figure out the problem either and they rewired the whole house inside and out plus gave us a new box plus watched TV outside and inside our house for a while. This is a 2 minute fix. I hope this helps.

Visitor

I finally got help, today from Comcast.  The sound went out on my HD TV channel.  I called comcast, and after obtaining the last 4 digits on serial number, on my adaptor, asked me to press the "Lang"(language) button, on the remote.  "ENG"(english) appeared on TV screen, and the sound immediately returned.  Hopefully, this move will have fixed the problem.  If not, correction should be easily made.