Contributor
JtPat

Adding external hard drive to Moto DCT3412 HDDVR

Does Comcast gave any plans to allow users to add an external hard drive to Moto DCT3412 HDDVR?

You just can't record/save much HD content on existing internal drive.

If not that Moto box, is there another Comcast HDDVR that does allow or will allow it in the future?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Adding external hard drive to Moto DCT3412 HDDVR

Good question, this would help when moving too, as it is we have to return all our equipment including the DVR with shows I wanted to keep.....

Official Employee
ComcastNick

At this time, I have not heard of any plans to allow external drives to be connected to the DVR.  The DVRs do have the USB port on them labeled for future use, so it is possible that it will be opened up for additional storage space.

The DVRs are also getting larger hard drives, with the older models having 120-160Gb of storage space available, and the newer ones having 250-500Gb depending on the model.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
JtPat

How big is the drive in the Moto DCT3412.

I know you can't record and save very many HD programs at all before you approach 90 percent full??

Official Employee
ComcastNick

[ Edited ]

The 3412 model is 120Gb. 

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Contributor
JtPat

How can I get upgrade to a 250 gig model? This is a brand new account.

Contributor
JtPat

Meant to say how to upgrade to 500 GB

Official Employee
ComcastNick

250Gb is either the RNG200 or the DCX3400 model.

The 500Gb model is, right now, only available as part of the Any Room Dvr service.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Networking Expert
Baric

If it's available in your area, the SA Explorer 8300 HD DVR's have active eSATA ports for connecting external hard drives.  I've had a 1TB hard drive connected to both of my DVR's for years now.  Works great never had a problem.  Of course, the 8300HD can't be used with MyDVR on the Comcast website (sigh) and it may only be available in certain areas.  Can't hurt to ask.

Bronze Star Contributor
Bronze Star Contributor

Nick I have seen friends and family get the 500gb box dcx3400m by just asking for a dvr at the local office. I can confirm they do not have anyroom DVD service nor did they ever.
New Visitor
keithforever

So can you or can you not add an external drive to the DCX3400 DVR? I see that the manual says you can:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/_Documents/User_guides/Static_files/Motorola%20D...

If this does not work, I would assume Comcast is blocking it. Can anyone confirm if an eSATA external drive can be used with the DCX3400 Comcast DVR?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

keithforever wrote:

So can you or can you not add an external drive to the DCX3400 DVR? I see that the manual says you can:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/_Documents/User_guides/Static_files/Motorola%20D...

If this does not work, I would assume Comcast is blocking it. Can anyone confirm if an eSATA external drive can be used with the DCX3400 Comcast DVR?

The e-SATA connection is not currently activated on the Motorola boxes connected to the Comcast plant. I think you will hear some better news about that later this year. Stay tuned.

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

[ Edited ]

So Comcast is actively disabling/blocking the eSATA external drive connection for/on its newest available generation DVRs, the DCX Series.

We have outdated Comcast software blocking the full capabilities of new Motorola hardware...

Other cable providers provide the newest DVRs and services for all customers. Canada cable provider customers get the dual tuner Motorola DCX 3400 HDTV PVR set top box with built in 500GB hard drive and functional eSata port to allow an external 1TB hard drive.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

JamesJJK wrote:

So Comcast is actively disabling/blocking the eSATA external drive connection for/on its newest available generation DVRs, the DCX Series.

We have outdated Comcast software blocking the full capabilities of new Motorola hardware...

Other cable providers provide the newest DVRs and services for all customers. Canada cable provider customers get the dual tuner Motorola DCX 3400 HDTV PVR set top box with built in 500GB hard drive and functional eSata port to allow an external 1TB hard drive.

To clarify, the e-SATA connection is not currently activated on any of the Motorola boxes connected to the Comcast plant (not just the DCX models). It is not a software or hardware limitation, it is a current business decision.

I think you will hear some better news about that later this year. Stay tuned.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

JamesJJK wrote:

Yes, Comcast and their bean counters, decided that they could make more money by not enabling the eSATA ports than they would lose by ticking off customers (since most customers wouldn't know about it).  IMHO

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

I'd like to know more about this as I am thinking of shelling out a bit of money to finally be able to record as much HD as I want.  If Comcast is going to be more flexible in this regard, please let us know.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Anon1334809 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

I'd like to know more about this as I am thinking of shelling out a bit of money to finally be able to record as much HD as I want.  If Comcast is going to be more flexible in this regard, please let us know.

The NCTA Cable Show starts next week (National Cable Television Association).

Historically, many announcements about products and offerings are usually revealed during that show. Perhaps some information will be released then or shortly after.   

http://2012.thecableshow.com/

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

ComcastTeds wrote:

Anon1334809 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Historically, many announcements about products and offerings are usually revealed during that show. Perhaps some information will be released then or shortly after.   

What is the difference between a "Rumor", an implied "coming soon feature", a "WAG" and what an employee of a company says?  One way they are the same is that they have nothing to back them up!

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

edpeters wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

Anon1334809 wrote:

ComcastTeds wrote:

What is the difference between a "Rumor", an implied "coming soon feature", a "WAG" and what an employee of a company says?  One way they are the same is that they have nothing to back them up!

Thanks Ed, If you check my previous posts, you will see that I have a pretty good track record of being truthful and quite accurate. Stay tuned.

A more public announcement is forthcoming. 

New Visitor
cdkipp

Any more information on this?   Just swirched from Directv and I am in my 30 day trial period. I really did not expect for this not to be an option.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

cdkipp wrote:

Any more information on this?   Just swirched from Directv and I am in my 30 day trial period. I really did not expect for this not to be an option.

We have begun some internal employee trials with a Western Digital external hard drive. We expect there to be some official announcements about this feaure over the summer.

New Visitor
cdkipp

Thanks.

New Visitor
JFTDSAM

It's mid-July, any update about enabling the SATA port?

Right now we have a 160Gb Motorola DCT3416 DVR. Comcast states that the only way to upgrade to a higher internal capacity DVR is to randomly come to the service center and see if any higher capacity DVRs have come in. There is no waiting list. We have already made 4 separate trips back with no luck. If I can add an external SATA HDD soon, I could stop going back to the service center.

We could really use the increased capacity with the Olympics coming up. Thanks for your help.

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

We're just going to be told that they're still in "trials"...Because it takes months and months of "trials" to SIMPLY activate a port that WORKS but is actively being disabled by Comcast.

COMCAST Motorola markets should have a reduced DVR box rental fee for NOT having the SAME customer PAYING features as COMCAST SA/Cisco markets.

New Visitor
LsMom6

I recently purchased a USB video capture device from http://www.altoedge.com/usbcapture/index.html, in order to convert my DVR recordings to a format I would be able to store on an external hard drive, which could then be viewed through my Blu-Ray/VHS player via a USB port on the device. My one mistake was not making sure that my computer processor was fast enough to perform the program objective. :smileysad:

Regular Contributor

Comcast, this is lame.  Either activate the port or set up a waiting list to trade in my ancient DVR for a 500 Gb drive model.  I am tired of going the the office and hoping to get lucky.

Contributor
BL57

So now it's the week the Olympics start and I'd like to be able to increase my recording capacity.

Any word on if the eSata port will enabled soon? "Trials"? What do you need trials for when Motorola

already has an approved external hard drive list:

From the Motorola website, http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Video-Consumer-Premise-Equipment...

"Motorola qualifies specific external drive models for use with DVR set-tops to ensure compatibility and performance levels. If you choose to use an external drive model that has not been approved by Motorola, you may experience compatibility and/or performance issues.

• Seagate Showcase 500GB
  • Seagate Showcase 1TB
  • Western Digital My DVR Expander 500GB
  • Western Digital My DVR Expander 1TB"

COME ON CAMCAST ENABLE THAT PORT!!!!

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

BL57 wrote:

So now it's the week the Olympics start and I'd like to be able to increase my recording capacity.

Any word on if the eSata port will enabled soon? "Trials"? What do you need trials for when Motorola

already has an approved external hard drive list:

From the Motorola website, http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Video-Consumer-Premise-Equipment...

"Motorola qualifies specific external drive models for use with DVR set-tops to ensure compatibility and performance levels. If you choose to use an external drive model that has not been approved by Motorola, you may experience compatibility and/or performance issues.

• Seagate Showcase 500GB
  • Seagate Showcase 1TB
  • Western Digital My DVR Expander 500GB
  • Western Digital My DVR Expander 1TB"

COME ON CAMCAST ENABLE THAT PORT!!!!

Besides "just enabling the port", we need to be sure that the external hard drive and our DVRs work well together with multiple DVR types, the current DVR guide software, firmware and back office infrastructure. 

That work is underway now with some employee trials. Thanks for your patience.   

Visitor
WB_Ccast_User

I think that the wait list is a great idea - I too have made a number of attempts to go to my "local" service center (over a half hour away) only to be told, oh we don't have the 500gb dvr.  In fact we haven't had any for quite a while now.

If customers want these larger capacity DVRs, why not just make them available?  I have two DVRs in my house one with a miserly 120gb and the other with a not much improved 160gb.  While my neighbors with Dish or Directv or Uverse have much higher capacity.  Comcast - get your act together.  This is ridiculous.  I thought you were all about customer service -- apparently that's just something to put on a website -- not something that you truly mean.

Oh well - looking at alternatives to comcast service.

Visitor
rtompiech

ComcastTeds, when we are able to hook up an external hard drive to the Comcast Motorola DCT3412 HDDVR, how will we receive that ability?  Will we need to make an appointment with an installer?  Will we have to get a new DVR box?  Or will the esata port simply be enabled and we can hook up an external drive  and it'll be working?  Thanks for keeping us informed.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

rtompiech wrote:

ComcastTeds, when we are able to hook up an external hard drive to the Comcast Motorola DCT3412 HDDVR, how will we receive that ability?  Will we need to make an appointment with an installer?  Will we have to get a new DVR box?  Or will the esata port simply be enabled and we can hook up an external drive  and it'll be working?  Thanks for keeping us informed.

The plan is that you will be able to use your existing DVR; no appointment or technician visit would be expected. The plan is to pro-actively enable the e-sata port across all eligible DVR's market-by-market. 

The to-be supported Motorola DVR's are: DCT 64XX,  DCT 34XX,  DCH 64XX,  DCH 34XX, DCX 34XX and DCX 35XX.

The external hard drive would be purchased by the customer and owned by the customer.   

Visitor
rtompiech

Thanks ComcastTeds.  And where can we look for this official announcement?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

rtompiech wrote:

Thanks ComcastTeds.  And where can we look for this official announcement?

I will be sure and post that information right here in this thread.

Contributor
BL57

I'm thinking I'll just TIVO Premiere 4 or XL4 with lifetime service and be done with all the Comcast foot dragging...  I'll be willing to bet getting that port active will be another additional monthly charge...

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

BL57 wrote:

I'm thinking I'll just TIVO Premiere 4 or XL4 with lifetime service and be done with all the Comcast foot dragging...  I'll be willing to bet getting that port active will be another additional monthly charge...

Our current plans are not to charge for activation of the e-SATA port or to charge a recurring fee.

That would mirror the current situation with Cisco and Scientific-Atlanta branded DVRs that work well today with external hard drives.  

New Visitor
BravesGeek

I switched from Dish to Comcast when I moved so I didn't have to pay the $200 setup fee at the new apartment. I'm enjoying all the new channels I have, but I really do miss being able to hook up my 2 TB hard drive. My hard drive fills up extremely quickly, and before, I was nowhere near my cap space with Dish. 

New Visitor
naynay1

I am thinking of changing from Direct TV to Comcast. Currently I use a Western Digital DVR Expander with my

Direct TV  HD DVR. Can this expander also be used with Comcast's HD DVR?  We are in zipcode 33467 (Lake Worth, FL)...is this a Motorola market or a Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta market.  From what I understand from another post is that this will work in a Cisco/Scientific-Atlanta market.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Yes, it will work on a SA8300 or Cisco DVR with the esata port.

This thread is about Motorola DVR's.

New Visitor
naynay1

I dont know which market I am in...motorola or cisco/scientific-atlanta. We are in Lake Worth,FL ( west palm beach...palm beach county). Please advise.

New Visitor

Does this discussion pertain to the DCH3416 as well?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

rbellv2 wrote:

Does this discussion pertain to the DCH3416 as well?

Yes.

New Visitor
mjp1305

Summer ends in 7 days, any update on the external hdd?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Later this year means December 31.

Visitor
Haynie

Teds,  My current DVR is almost full (wife's programs). I'm in zip 19150 in NW Phila.,  will one of the recommended external drives work, and is the external firewire400 ports activated?

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

Haynie wrote:

Teds,  My current DVR is almost full (wife's programs). I'm in zip 19150 in NW Phila.,  will one of the recommended external drives work, and is the external firewire400 ports activated?

The port is not active yet in your area and the connection would be via the e-SATA port (not the firewire).

We expect to make some official announcements about this option very soon. Thanks for your patience.  

New Visitor
mjp1305

06-04-201203:34 PM

"We have begun some internal employee trials with a Western Digital external hard drive. We expect there to be some official announcements about this feaure over the summer."

JayInAlg wrote:

Later this year means December 31.

I was replying to the post above....

New Visitor
dabomb4ever

Is the feature available in Santa Clara, CA region?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

dabomb4ever wrote:

Is the feature available in Santa Clara, CA region?

Not yet, by the end of 2012.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

As a general update, we have recently rolled out this new functionality in parts of indiana for most all of our Motorola branded DVRs. Details at the link below:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/external-dvr-storage/

A new guide release is required before this new functionality can be activated so be sure and check the availability link at the website above before purchasing the WD external hard drive.

We are deploying this guide update (and this new functionality) to new locations regularly with the goal of 100% deployment in early 2013. Thanks for your patience. 

Contributor

Is there a reason the DCX3400 isn't listed as a supported DVR on the linked page?  Will it be added later?

Thanks for the updates.