Contributor

Additional Outlet Charge

If I have a TV hooked up to one of my outlets and there IS NO cable box, should I be charged any additonal outlet charges?  Isn't an AO charge when you are using a cable box of somesort?

Thanks...

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Additional Outlet Charge

Is there a cablecard involved?  That's the only reason I could see for an AO charge.  What equipment do you have, in total?
Contributor

I DO NOT have any cablecards.  I do have 2 HD/DVR boxes and 3 TV that is just straight cable (no box).
Contributor

I forgot mention, although I don't think it's relavent here; but I have the Triple Play.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Here's what I think should be listed on your statement.  Prices vary by market, so my numbers won't match yours.

Comcast Bundled Services

HD Triple Play Bundle 139.99

Additonal Cable Television Services

Triple Play High Def Lease 0.00  --  this is the 1st HD STB

HD equipment 8.99  ----- this is the 2nd HD STB

addtional outlet fee 5.99  ----- this is the addl outlet fee for the 2nd HD STB

There would not be any addl fees for any TV's connected directly to other outlets.

So if you had the triple play including HD, the 1st HD STB is included, the 2nd HD STB is charged as an addl digital outlet plus the HD equipment fee.

If you had 1 HD STB and a 2nd SD STB instead, you would get charged the addl digital outlet fee which includes the SD STB, but no addl hardware fees.

Additional digital outlets are charges include the SD STB or cable card, but adding a 2nd HD STB ends up 2 charges, the digital outlet fee and the HD equipment fee.

Please post what is shows on your statement for Comcast bundled services and additional cable television services. 

Contributor

Here is what is on my current bill:

Comcast Bundled Services

Preferred+ Bundle       Includes:

* Dig Preferred+ HBO, SHO, Starz

* Performance Internet

* Digital Voice Unlimited

* Rate-Lock Guarantee

Total Comcast Bundled Services $129.99

Additional Cable Television Services

Add'l HD/DVR Converter            $24.94

* Outlets

* Receivers

* & Digital A/O Service Chg

HD/DVR Converter                    $15.95

Additional Outlet 3 @$0.00 each            $0.00

SPP Charge Service Protection Plan      $3.95

Total Additional Cable Television Services $44.84

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Everything looks OK except I would think the 2nd HD/DVR charge should be $15.95 (hd-dvr) + $5.99 (addl digital outlet fee) = $21.94 since they are bundling it as one line item.

I would contact the billing dept and ask them why it is $24.94 for the 2nd HD/DVR and not $21.94, unless your area is truely charging $8.99 for an additional digital outlet.

The $15.95 is for the 1st HD/DVR on the primary outlet.  It shows correctly $0 for the 3 analog outlets.

Thanks for the detailed pricing you had a question about.

Message Edited by JayInAlg on 01-14-2010 07:39 PM
Contributor

So in otherwords if I were to add a couple of more TV's without boxes they could charge me for that?  I don't ever remember them doing this?
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

tscoobydo wrote:
So in otherwords if I were to add a couple of more TV's without boxes they could charge me for that?  I don't ever remember them doing this?

No -- you can add as many TVs without boxes or cablecards as you want (or your system can stand) and there will be no additional outlet charge.  No wonder you don't remember it, since it didn't happen. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Hooking up a new Digital TV with a clear QAM tuner will get you only limited basic channel lineups, both analog and digital.  In the East Bay area those are channels up throught analog channel 34, and these woul be available in SD on the analog channels and in SD & HD in digital clear QAM.  There would be no cost for this limited channel addition.  This is not supported by Comcast, but works for many subscribers.

Comcast will only charge you when you are adding their digital set top boxes.  Hooking up a clear QAM TV will not incure any additional charges.

You can get 2 zero cost DTA's, these are low cost digital tuners tuning in the old expanded basic channels only.  They do not tune in HD, digital starter, digital classic, premiums, PPV or On Demand.  Any more after the first two are $1.99 a month, no other fees apply.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

JayInAlg wrote:

Hooking up a new Digital TV with a clear QAM tuner will get you only limited basic channel lineups, both analog and digital.  In the East Bay area those are channels up throught analog channel 34, and these woul be available in SD on the analog channels and in SD & HD in digital clear QAM.  There would be no cost for this limited channel addition.  This is not supported by Comcast, but works for many subscribers.

Comcast will only charge you when you are adding their digital set top boxes.  Hooking up a clear QAM TV will not incure any additional charges.

You can get 2 zero cost DTA's, these are low cost digital tuners tuning in the old expanded basic channels only.  They do not tune in HD, digital starter, digital classic, premiums, PPV or On Demand.  Any more after the first two are $1.99 a month, no other fees apply.

Don't tell anybody, but I get digital starter channels on my DTA boxes.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Everything in Comcastland varies widely from market to market.  Since the original post was 10 months ago, there wasn't nearly as many DTA's rolled out in January as there is now in October.

Since the large rollout of DTA's in 2010,, many areas are indeed receiving almost all or all of their digital starter channels.  In my area outside Chicago, we still get 13 less SD channels with the DTA than on digital starter with a full box.

So that's proof that things vary widely in different Comcast area's.