Contributor
slickster40
Accepted Solution

Additional cable box from non-Comcast source?

Comcast could only give me one cable box free though I use two TV sets . Rather than paying a monthly rental for a second box, I was wondering if Comcast would allow the use of a 2nd box that I might buy on ebay. Would Comcast register it on its network if it's one of the approved models?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Additional cable box from non-Comcast source?

no, most boxes sold on ebay are stolen and comcast will not activate them.    The dta boxes are pieces of garbage anyway unless you have an old tv set and don't care about your picture use a dta.

Recognized Contributor
halfband

As stated, ebay boxes are not going to work.  A tivo or cable card type tuner is your only real options and they are not cheap.  DTAs are tuners to allow old analog tvs to be used, not really ideal for current HD models.

Contributor
slickster40

OK, so ebay stuff may not be legit. But if I can get my own cable modem that U can use with Comcast, why can't I do the same with TV boxes? By the way, since right now I do not subscribe to a package with HD channels, why would I need anything else than DTA?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Cable modems and in some area's, eMTA's are sold at retail, and approved to be added to Comcast's system.

In the US, Motorola and Cisco cable boxes, DVR's & cable cards are not, including DTA's.

You have a choice to purchase a Tivo at retail, and add a Comcast supplied cable card, or a cable card equipped TV tuner for a Media Center PC.

Since cable boxes are not sold at retail in the US, then they are either from Canada and will not work on US cable systems, or "unreturned equipment" that still belongs to Comcast or one of the other cable co's.

Contributor
slickster40

Thanks for the reply, Jay. Now, that you put it that way, it makes eminent sense.

Regular Contributor
Anon27867

Could you please provide more information on what a cable card equipped TV tuner for a Media Center PC is and how I would set it up as well as where to purchase?

Thx

Recognized Contributor
halfband

If you are not using HD sets then a DTA will work fine.  You can get a full SD box on your primary outlet (included in you tv package) which will allow you to get on demand, and add DTAs for your other sets.

Recognized Contributor
halfband

[ Edited ]

@Anon27867

Search for

Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime [ethernet based connection]

Ceton InfiniTV [PC adapter card]

Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 [USB tuner]

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Anon27867 wrote:

Could you please provide more information on what a cable card equipped TV tuner for a Media Center PC is and how I would set it up as well as where to purchase?

Thx

Google is your friend:  "Cablecard tuners"..  One place is:

http://www.engadget.com/tag/cablecard%20tuner/

Contributor
slickster40

halfband wrote:

If you are not using HD sets then a DTA will work fine.  You can get a full SD box on your primary outlet (included in you tv package) which will allow you to get on demand, and add DTAs for your other sets.

The problem is that Comcast only gives one free DTA and I am not about pay rental for the second one. It's interesting, because when they made the digital conversions a few years ago, they were giving out two DTA's free as I recall.

Contributor
cableuser12345

[ Edited ]

As for ebay boxes I don't know about them, probably not the best way to go.. but I found this one website selling refurbed cable boxes.. LINK REMOVED They got pretty much every brand and box you can rent it seems like.  I bought one myself and i'm very happy.. saving $16 a month from my old rental, comcast gave me the M-card for free..

Contributor
slickster40

Thanks for that tip, Cableuser. So when you get a box from that place, how does Comcast treat it? Will it be registered and enabled by them free, just as their own box I already have?

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

I would be willing to bet that Comcast would not activate a box from that website. 

Contributor
cableuser12345

Honestly it was pretty easy to get it going with that companies help, if you try to do it on your own good luck.. I've talked to a couple people at comcast who didn't even know what a multistream card is, at that point just hang up and call back lol.  The only thing they can legally charge you for is the card, and I got the first one for free from comcast and I think there like $1.50 or something for each extra one.

Basically I got the box from them and the card from comcast and called them up to activate and it was done.. btw if you go to www.comcast.com/activate you can do it yourself I just found out.. you don't even need to call them, i'll be trying that next..

I really don't care what people think if they work or not, I got mine working.. gotta know your rights and you can get it done, it's the law.. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

The ONLY catch is comcast doens't let you use the on demand feature which I think is wrong.  When I asked about it they basically said to just rent one of there boxes and that's all I could do, unbeleivable.  They can't get away with that forever (and I don't think they will), but reguardless I just stream from comcasts site and get everything and more it seems like online.  In all reality for me though the DVR is 10 times better then the on demand feature because i'll never miss anything anyways and if I do I just go online and connect it to my TV.  On demand isn't worth $15 bucks a month per converter to me..

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

[ Edited ]

cableuser12345 wrote:

Honestly it was pretty easy to get it going with that companies help, if you try to do it on your own good luck.. I've talked to a couple people at comcast who didn't even know what a multistream card is, at that point just hang up and call back lol.  The only thing they can legally charge you for is the card, and I got the first one for free from comcast and I think there like $1.50 or something for each extra one.

Basically I got the box from them and the card from comcast and called them up to activate and it was done.. btw if you go to www.comcast.com/activate you can do it yourself I just found out.. you don't even need to call them, i'll be trying that next..

I really don't care what people think if they work or not, I got mine working.. gotta know your rights and you can get it done, it's the law.. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

The ONLY catch is comcast doens't let you use the on demand feature which I think is wrong.  When I asked about it they basically said to just rent one of there boxes and that's all I could do, unbeleivable.  They can't get away with that forever (and I don't think they will), but reguardless I just stream from comcasts site and get everything and more it seems like online.  In all reality for me though the DVR is 10 times better then the on demand feature because i'll never miss anything anyways and if I do I just go online and connect it to my TV.  On demand isn't worth $15 bucks a month per converter to me..

It could be that the box you got isn't capable of doing On-Demand?  What was the box you bought?

Contributor
cableuser12345

[ Edited ]

I got a DCX3400, it's not the box.. like I said before know your rights, theres a statute that sais they dont' have to let you get the "on demand" feature.  It's a really weird thing to put in there but it is what it is, I mean your paying for the service technically, why not include it? This is from that link i posted earlier:

"Receive all “linear” channels (channels other than “on-demand”) in your subscription package.  This includes premium channels and specialty channels.  For some channels delivered using a technique called “switched digital video,” you may need a second device called a “tuning adapter.”  This device is typically provided at no additional charge to CableCARD customers.  FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(4).  CableCARD-ready devices currently cannot receive your cable operator’s Video on Demand services."

Contributor
cableuser12345

[ Edited ]

LINK REMOVED

Had to find the link but it's the box at the bottom of that page, the DCX3400.. can't go wrong with the 500GB hard drive..

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

Comcast is compliant with the FCC ruling that we offer customers the option to purchase a digital descrambler through authorized retail outlets. Comcast would then supply the customer with a POD (point of deployment) authorization card.

However, we are not aware of any Motorola digital converters being offered through authorized retail outlets in the United Sates. Since we know of no retailers or cable companies yet selling these Motorola digital converters in the United States, any such device could be the property of another cable company. 

If we determine by the serial number that the box is stolen and/or the property of another cable company, we would not support it. Information received would then be turned over to the proper authorities.

EDIT: Just to add what JayInAlg posted above in this thread and marked as the solution :

You can certainly purchase certain cable boxes at retail or online today and Comcast will authorize them via cablecard.

Below are some examples:

• Panasonic DVR
  • TiVo Series 3 and Series 4
  • TiVo HD
  • Sony
  • Moxi (no longer being made new, but used devices are available)  
  • ATI (All in Wonder HD, ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner)

Note: ATI models use a CableCard in one-way mode

Motorola does not currently make their converters available for individual or retail purchase. That is a decision made by Motorola.