Regular Contributor
goaliebob99
Accepted Solution

Any room DVR is not really an DVR in any room.

I'm so angry at comcast that I just cancelled all of my accounts..   I have had internet with comcast for over 5 years, and we were finally ditching satelltie.  With Directv I have their whole home dvr, and in my living room as well as my master bedroom we both have DVR's.   Both DVR's share content and I can pull up anything recorded from any DVR on ANY TV in the house.   I wanted two DVR's because I work nights and weekends, and I record alot of programs, and my wife and kids are home when I’m at work watching their own programs.   With my current directv setup I have a total of 4 tuners that are able to record and two more that cant record.   I called comast asking if they could match this setup and I was assured by the CSR on the phone that they could, and I could have as many DVR's on the Any room setup and they all would see each other like how Directv can.  

Well the installer came, and told me that wasn’t the case.   In fact Xfinity's solution was the laughing stock of the industry, according to the installer.   I voiced my concerns with the employee's supervisor whom had no solution for me as far as getting two DVR's on a any room setup.  I simply want to access my content from any DVR no matter how many dvr's I have, and I want to access it from any TV no matter how many TV’s I have.   I ended up calling the office of the CEO and got a young lady whom was just as rude as the employee's supervisor.  She said that she could care less if I canceled and they were not developing a solution for this issue.   After how I have been treated, it’s no wonder why people are complaining here and leaving in droves.  

You know It’s bad, because I left 50 meg internet service and immediately downgraded to Uverse!   If you have customers downgrading to uverse over customer service, you know your company is bad!   It’s sad to see a company provide great products and services only to not meet the equipment needs of the customer. 

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

Re: Any room DVR is not really an DVR in any room.

I had been waiting for Anyroom DVR to come to my area in Florida, which we still don't have, but then I read what it actually was and realized that it was false advertising. Just one main DVR and the other boxes are dummy boxes. I don't know why Comcast continually lies about their products and thinks that customers will stay with them.

Good luck with UVerse. I can't get Uverse in my area. If I could, I would have switched months ago.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

This is what it says on comcasts website for anyroom dvr.

How AnyRoom DVR Service Works

AnyRoom DVR Service includes one primary DVR that provides full access to the DVR features of your on-screen guide such as the ability to schedule or delete a recording or control live TV.

The primary DVR is linked to networked set-top boxes in your home that allow you to view completed recordings and those already in progress. Plus fast forward, rewind, pause, skip ahead or skip back while watching your recordings.

Which is exactly what it does, how is that false advertising?

Fios mutilroom dvr

About Verizon FiOS TV Multi-Room DVR

Multi-Room DVR is an upgrade to the FiOS TV DVR service and is an excellent choice for people who have more than one TV in their home. With Multi-Room DVR, you can watch a program recorded on your DVR from other TV sets in your home that are connected to a regular (non-DVR) Set-Top Box.

The Multi-Room DVR feature even lets you begin watching a recorded program on one TV in your home, pause the recording, then continue watching it on another TV in your home.

Same thing.  Just get two dvr's its the same price as the multiroom in most areas under a promo.

Recognized Contributor
anita0817

rog --

when I said that it's false advertising I should have clarified - I meant to say that they should not advertise features/products  by direct mailings or tv ads, when you cannot receive those products.

New Visitor
jofr63

Why is it so important to record on each receiver?

The Anyroom DVR lets you record on the main receiver and watch it on the other receivers.

You can always pay for a 2nd DVR to record in another room if you desire but at half the cost you can get hubs to watch your recorded programs.

With On Demand the need to record programs is minimal when you have thousands of shows and movies already there for free.

If you subscribe to premium channels, everything they carry is accessible through On Demand where you can watch it as if it was a DVR with FF, pause, rewind, etc.

I guess some people are spoiled and never satisfied.

Bronze Star Contributor

jofr63 wrote:

Why is it so important to record on each receiver?

The Anyroom DVR lets you record on the main receiver and watch it on the other receivers.

You can always pay for a 2nd DVR to record in another room if you desire but at half the cost you can get hubs to watch your recorded programs.

With On Demand the need to record programs is minimal when you have thousands of shows and movies already there for free.

If you subscribe to premium channels, everything they carry is accessible through On Demand where you can watch it as if it was a DVR with FF, pause, rewind, etc.

I guess some people are spoiled and never satisfied.

It is convenient. If I am upstairs in the bedroom and start to watch a show, but can't finish it, it's convenient to be able to just start a recording that can be viewed later from any room. On demand is limited at best, since in many cases the shows expire before they can be watched, or just don't show up at all.  Also, you can't view it "as if it was DVR" since IF you can FF at all (many of the shows have that disabled) the Forward and back skip buttons are 5 minutes at a pop, not 30 seconds as they are on the DVR. Aside from the fact that 5 minutes is stupid if you just need to jump back 30 seconds to catch what someone just said, and Rew is a pain to use, when you use both modes frequently, it would be nice if the functionality was consistent between the two modes. Speaking of FF, you can only go at double speed in on demand, and in the case of many shows, you can't FF or skip forward at all, as opposed to DVR.

Anyroom DVR should be exactly that. The full functionality of a DVR in any room.  In other words:

1. Be able to view any recording from any of the televisions on the network.

2. Be able to start a recording from any of the televisions on the network.

3. Be able to schedule recordings from any of the televisions on the network.

4. Be able to pause, rewind, fast forward while watching live shows from any television on the network.

All of the functions above can be done on a DVR, if the DVR is "any room" then all of the functions should be available in any room. Otherwise, change the name to Anyroom VIEWING ONLY DVR. And only when it's working, since frequently the shows in progress could not be viewed from the other room. The recording was not available.

New Visitor
matto01752

Can someone explain to me what networked set top boxes mean?  Is the Anyroom DVR attached through the wifi network in your home?  (I ask because I want it in a room that has no cable outlet and I don't know if I want to bother installing one, it seems pricey)  Thank you for any help! 

Bronze Star Contributor

matto01752 wrote:

Can someone explain to me what networked set top boxes mean?  Is the Anyroom DVR attached through the wifi network in your home?  (I ask because I want it in a room that has no cable outlet and I don't know if I want to bother installing one, it seems pricey)  Thank you for any help! 

No, the Anyroom DVR is not wifi, each remote box needs a cable hookup. Also, it is not really a "true" any room DVR system since the remote boxes can not schedule or start a new a recording or pause and rewind live television--you can only view existing recordings, and then only when the system is working properly - mine frequently failed.

New Visitor
DLBlue777

I so wish I saw your post before switching from FIOS.  I switched because all the CSRs that I have talked with over the phone have indicated that AnyRoom DVR will allow all the features of a DVR in any room. Which is not the case.  I am considering going back to FIOS.

Bronze Star Contributor

DLBlue777 wrote:

I so wish I saw your post before switching from FIOS.  I switched because all the CSRs that I have talked with over the phone have indicated that AnyRoom DVR will allow all the features of a DVR in any room. Which is not the case.  I am considering going back to FIOS.

I truly understand. I was with Dish when I fell for the CSR's pitch to me.

1. I was told that it was a true whole home DVR system -- which of course it is not. (see my above post).

2. I was told (and this would have been a deal breaker had he told me the truth up front) that I would be able to stream live television anywhere - such as at my son's house (hubby's football games) and while traveling on the road while in the car. Either he was deliberately untruthful or he had no idea of what Comcast services included, because you cannot stream live television when off your home network - and even then you have to pay a monthly fee for a modem that will let you stream it in your own home.  Oh, and the shipping for the modem self install kit.  Oh, and an activiation fee for the modem.

3. I was told that I would be able to store at least the same number of recordings--maybe even more--on the Comcast DVR than I currently could with the Dish one I had. In reality, while I could store 150 hours of HD programs on the DVR I had with Dish, I could only store a fraction of that - maybe 20-25 programs total--on the Comcast DVR before it would be full. Honestly though, that wasn't a problem.  The DVR had to be replaced almost every other week when it would break down, and I would lose all the recordings that were already on it. Oh, and I would have to stand in line for 40+ minutes at their offices to swap the receiver OR pay a 30.00 fee to have one of their reps bring me one.

There were SO many problems with their service, it defies credulity. I lost so much functionality when I switched, it also defied credulity: remotes that could not be addressed and would control every receiver within range--problematic when there is more than one television in the room; when watching on-demand, the remote going back 5 minutes, not the 10 or 30 seconds every other remote I've used would do when you just need to answer that 'huh?  what did he say?" question. The hours spent on hold to get tech or customer support--who then gave incorrect answers 75% of the time--or who would insist that I was unreasonable to expect any higher level of functionality with the equipment or service--and in at least one case told me I must be mistaken in my statement that I could stream live television before I switched, since that was just not possible. Even in these forums, one of the "bronze problem solvers" would essentially ridicule posters who were unhappy with the limited DVR capacity and Comcast services, openly commenting that we were unreasonable in our epxectations, that DVRs were not meant to record entire seasons and we did not need the extra capacity we were requesting, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, let's not forget the bill that was 50.00 a month higher than I was quoted as well. I lasted 5 weeks, then ran back to DISH as fast as I could. I have the Hoppers now, even MORE DVR capability (currently I have 332 HD programs recorded on the DVR and it is only 62% full. Some are movies we are waiting to watch until just before the sequel comes out (Riddick, yes!), others are full seasons that we are going to run one of our popcorn laced marathon weekends watching. 

New Visitor
annoyed246

I was surprised to find that you can't rewind live TV in any room except the one that has the actual DVR. There might be other limitations that I have not found yet. I previously had UVerse and I could do anything from any room. Unfortunately, UVerse is not available in the area I now reside. I tried calling customer support and what a joke that was. Push this for this, this for this, blah,blah,blah. What do I push if my service doesn't work is what I'd like to know. On two of the TVs, we don't get any channels except the major networks. I pay almost $300 a month for service that doesn't work and seemingly will never work since you can't get any support. I did actually contact support at one point and said they would send a signal to my box. Well, that didn't help at all and actually it's worse now. They said the issue would be escalated, 10 days later, still waiting for escalation. What a pathetic excuse for a service company. If I didn't pay my bill while my service wasn't working I'll bet I could speak to a person then.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

You can't pause/rewind/FF live TV because the satellite boxes are not DVR's and have no hard drive to store the information on.   If you want to do this you'll need an additional DVR.

Bronze Star Contributor

manamok wrote:

You can't pause/rewind/FF live TV because the satellite boxes are not DVR's and have no hard drive to store the information on.   If you want to do this you'll need an additional DVR.

This is a Comcast limitation--it can be done with other providers without additional DVR.

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

DMilnerJax wrote:

manamok wrote:

This is a Comcast limitation--it can be done with other providers without additional DVR.

Regardless of the provider you still need something to store the buffered programming on - like a hard drive.  

Bronze Star Contributor

manamok wrote:

DMilnerJax wrote:

manamok wrote:

Regardless of the provider you still need something to store the buffered programming on - like a hard drive.  

It links to the main DVR somehow. The small box in the bedroom does not have a hard drive in it...but I can "link" it to either one of the DVRs. If I set a recording it goes on the DVR that it is currently linked to. There are three tuners per DVR, the remote box uses or shares (watch same tuner on two televisions simultaneously) one of those tuners. It's quite convenient--I can pause the show in the living room, run up to the bedroom and "join" the show upstairs. Once I join, it resumes--and hubby and I are watching simultaneously in two different room. If one of us pauses the show, it is paused for both until one of us resumes it. Or he can be watching football in the living room, and I can be watching another channel entirely--and I can pause/rewind, etc. from the slaved box. It's all managed from the main DVR--even though I am upstairs at the other end of the house.

New Visitor
Hrvhouse

Boy am I disappointed. I recently replaced 3 DVRs and replaced it with DVR Anywhere. At no time was I informed that could not pause and rewind live TV. The producer description is MIS leading. Only the main DVR can perform these DVR functions . My wife is ready to kill me. I am going to go back to my previous configuration. I agree that the service should be called DVR Limited since it does not provide "anywhere DVR service".
Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

[ Edited ]

Hrvhouse wrote:
Boy am I disappointed. I recently replaced 3 DVRs and replaced it with DVR Anywhere. At no time was I informed that could not pause and rewind live TV. The producer description is MIS leading. Only the main DVR can perform these DVR functions . My wife is ready to kill me. I am going to go back to my previous configuration. I agree that the service should be called DVR Limited since it does not provide "anywhere DVR service".

Not really a DVR in every room as you said - just access to the DVR from any room.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

You would be much better off with a Tivo system.

Bronze Star Contributor

Hrvhouse wrote:

That deficiency more than anything else caused me to return to Dish within weeks of switching to Comcast last year. To add insult to injury, I had more than one customer support tech and some "unofficial" Comcast reps in here tell me that I was just being unreasonable to expect that type of functionality.  So, I returned to Dish, and now I do. I can access any recording from either of the two DVR boxes from any television in the house, and I have full DVR functionality from any television in the house (we have 4).

Bronze Star Contributor

And how much more a month does that cost, in addition to the 200.00 or more equipment cost? Just go with a provider that has equipment that works without add-ons and you're all set.

barbie123 wrote:

You would be much better off with a Tivo system.

Bronze Star Contributor
Help_Meplease

My cost: TiVo premiere 4 exchange for TiVo premiere 2 tuner (free exchange, $50 + sales tax back in dec 2012), free subscription since may (on two tuner for antenna, they broke the signal strength meter). Lifetime on sale,$214 after tax ($199 before). $9 for Poe filter. $100 one year ago for western digital 1tb expander. $86 + $11 from amazon for TiVo mini and new rg6 cord for living room. Lifetime for TiVo mini, $150. Total cost tivos and lifetimes before sales tax $595 spread out over a year. Add on expander $100 more (helped that no cable cost for ten months while used antenna). PS, they are still selling premiers.

Now, add up the monthly rental fees for all those dvr's, and multiply by two years. I got ya beat :-) said with all due respect.
Bronze Star Contributor
Help_Meplease

[ Edited ]
PS no hd fee, and $2.50 a month credit off Comcast bill.
Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Bottom line is that Tivos pay for themselves in a couple of years. My two Tivos have long since paid for themselves. Plus, I have a system that is much better than anything Comcast has to offer.

Dish and Direct TV are not really options, as they do not provide internet.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, it says here that Dish provides internet;

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/internet-phone/satellite-internet/

It's just not as fast as cable and online gamers will not like the performance due to satellite's inherent latency.

Bronze Star Contributor

Help_Meplease wrote:
My cost: TiVo premiere 4 exchange for TiVo premiere 2 tuner (free exchange, $50 + sales tax back in dec 2012), free subscription since may (on two tuner for antenna, they broke the signal strength meter). Lifetime on sale,$214 after tax ($199 before). $9 for Poe filter. $100 one year ago for western digital 1tb expander. $86 + $11 from amazon for TiVo mini and new rg6 cord for living room. Lifetime for TiVo mini, $150. Total cost tivos and lifetimes before sales tax $595 spread out over a year. Add on expander $100 more (helped that no cable cost for ten months while used antenna). PS, they are still selling premiers.

Now, add up the monthly rental fees for all those dvr's, and multiply by two years. I got ya beat :-) said with all due respect.

Sounds like that is working for you.....if I lived in an area where I could get OTA signals, then it would be worth considering....but it's either Comcast, satellite, or internet only "cut the cord" where I live.  I went back to satellite and am pretty happy with them...I have the "full" package with Dish, and is stll 100.00 per month less than I would be paying with Comcast--with better programming and equipment....

Bronze Star Contributor

barbie123 wrote:

Dish and Direct TV are not really options, as they do not provide internet.

You can get internet with Comcast and television through another provider. I have Comcast internet (and own my own modem) and Dish television.

Bronze Star Contributor

EG wrote:

FWIW, it says here that Dish provides internet;

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/internet-phone/satellite-internet/

It's just not as fast as cable and online gamers will not like the performance due to satellite's inherent latency.

Honestly, as good as I like their television services, their internet is a "last resort" for those who have no other option. It is capped at 50G on their most expensive plan, and in my house that would not last more than 1/2 the month.