Visitor
gNeil
Accepted Solution

AnyRoom DVR - second box won't record or pause

New install, replacing a two-day-old 'regular' HD-DVR...

Primary box has all advertised functionality. Second box can view all my authorized channels and play recordings set up on the primary box, but it has no DVR features of its own. It can't pause live TV, and if I try to set up a recording it acts as if it did it but you can't review the result. The 'recording' screens act as if I'm trying to record on a VCR (that's what the messages indicate). No new recording appears on the primary box either. The 800 number has reset the box, and I've unplugged both boxes, to no avail.

When installed (yesterday) it seemed to work while the tech was here but I had to call the 800 number last night because some of my subscribed channels didn't work. (A white overlay screen appeared on top of the normal messages.) The box-number in the system didn't match the physical unit, but once corrected, the primary box was okay -- only the secondary box doesn't seem to know about the (primary) DVR that's here, except that it can play its recordings.

Is there another setup step? (A tech visit is scheduled for tomorrow but I'm throwing this out there to check for similar experiences and their solution.)

...Neil

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: AnyRoom DVR - second box won't record or pause

[ Edited ]

The hub boxes are just full HD boxes that have the capability of streaming from the master DVR.  They do not buffer or have a hard drive in them so they will not function at all with any DVR like features on live TV. 

They pull down the live channels from the coax and not from the master DVR, so it is impossible for the the hub boxes to pause, reverse or fast forward any live TV on AnyRoom DVR installations.

Visitor
gNeil

When the tech left, I'm pretty sure we could (at least) schedule, record, and then watch a show that had been set up on the secondary (hub) box. I can't do that. The second box will only let me watch a recording that I set up on the primary box. When I got the programming and serial number info corrected on the primary box, it seems to have uncoupled it from the secondary box.

The people at the other end of the 800-number seem to think I can do that, and are sending a tech to fix it tomorrow.

The functionality I have right now is not an "AnyRoom DVR". (Even if the functionality I had earlier is returned, if I can't get similar functionality on every set in the house, it's not "any room" by any common understanding of the term.) 

Re-reading your second paragraph, how do I begin watching a live show on the second set, (optionally) decide to record it, and then operate DVR-like controls (pause, leap backwords, REW/FF on the past portion, and resume) on the show I'm watching?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The record function can only be controled at the master DVR, if you are watching a live show on the hub and want to record it, you have to go to the master DVR to set up the recording.

This first version of AnyRoom DVR, which has been out just little more than a year, will most likely improve it's feature set as the product continues to improve.

Please review the AnyRoom DVR guide HERE, it does explain what can be done only at the DVR (schedule recordings, delete, change and live TV) and what can be done at the hubs.

Visitor
gNeil

Thanks for your clear understanding of my question and your explanation. I was not given any literature like the page you linked. Both the Xfinity 800-number and techs at the house have expected it to work the way I have been expecting and explaining. The tech stood in front of the hub box, set a recording, and watched/waited to see that it finished. I don't recall whether he tried to play that 'recording' back or find it in the recorded-program list. (So I guess he was just blowing digital smoke toward my non-existent VCR.)

Some might say, "The Principle Of Least Astonishment" has been violated.  :-)

So the "AnyRoom DVR" is really NOT an "AnyRoom Digitital Video Recorder" but an "AnyRoom Digital Video Re-player." I happen to feel that Xfinity marketing term borders on fraud.

Yesterday I poked around for appropriate online documentation and found traditional DVR and remote-control guides, including MO_A252_2_DVR_Interactive, but not the page you linked. How exactly was I supposed to find that link?

...Neil

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

It basically starts HERE and the user guide is at the bottom.

The anyroom link used to be easier to find.

Here's another page to view HERE

Visitor
gNeil

(Hmmm.  A response to my last message has been removed.)

Okay, the tech that was scheduled to come this morning called and we chatted about my 'problem' and the system's capabilities and limitations.  It especially helped that he has a similar setup, too.  We skipped the actual visit.

Enjoy your holidays.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

Yes.  I guess me telling you that a simple google search would yield the results was not good enough considering your question was how would you ever find that.  Unless you knew the web address provided above there would be no other way to find it except by searching through tons of comcast pages.