New Visitor

Aspect Ratio: Quick Fix - Moderator please sticky this post!

For anyone out there using a wide screen format television or monitor! If you find your cable output from your cable box not meeting the screen aspect ratio, you can manually set this and more via the Video Configuration Screen. Before making any changes consult your television / monitor manual. Check that the problem is not the television / monitor settings first. To do so: (using the Motorola DCT6416 III)

1. Turn the power off on the cable box.

2. Press the menu button on the front of the cable box.

• A black & white screen will now display allowing you to chose your aspect ratio as well as additional settings for HD televisions.

• Use the Cursor Up & Down buttons to navigate the menu and the Left and Right Cursor buttons to make the changes.

You may also use your remote to do this! Follow the same steps as above just using your remote.

In my case my 20" wide screen is 480I, so I set my aspect ratio 16:9 and set the HDI to 480I...

If you have any issue with this you can always reset to defaults by selecting so at the bottom of this menu.

Regular Contributor

Re: Aspect Ratio: Quick Fix - Moderator please sticky this post!

I'm glad you brought this up.

I have that problem, but ONLY with ON Demand HD programminng. All ON Demand HD shows up as 480i and I have to adjust my screen accordingly (e.g. I can't watch on a "full" screen - Sony) - although the programs are obviously of HD quality. I usually adjust the screen to "zoom" - and then when you do that, you lose the progress bar info. 

I checked the settings you mentioned and they match your settings. So, what's up with that? Why do ON Demand HD programs all show up as 480i and need screen adjustment, or is it just my TV or my cable box settings? Even if I set the format to 480p, ON Demand still comes through as 480i.

The screen aspect ratio problem kind of defeats some of the advantages of HD.

Oh, and what about closed captioning on an HD box?

Is that inconvenient or what? Sometimes I watch BBC and need that captioning on. But, if recording with DVR, you can't shut off the box to enable captioning. Needs rethinking.

Contributor

There are 3 settings here:
One is for your TV type. 16:9(widescreen), 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan/Scan. 

Output type is the for the native resolution of your TV. You either have 480, 720, or 1080 TV(in the U.S.). Set the output to match your TV. Then, whatever type of true HD programming that comes in will be sent to your TV at the resolution you specified. Of course, you will need to use either the component (red/blue/green) connectors, or the HDMI/DVI connector to use 480p, 720p or 1080i resolutions.

The other option, 480 Override, is how you want the box to display all SD programming to your TV. Personally, I turn off the 480i override, and live with the black bars, or use my TV's 4:3 expanded mode.

So, if you set the Output Type to 480i/p as the native resolution of your display, then ALL programs sent to your TV will be in 480i/p. Black bars on the top and bottom will generally only appear if the aspect ratio of the movie is not at 1:1.78, on a widescreen TV.

As far as CC is concerned, you're correct. It should just be a button on the remote to turn it on/off as needed.
New Visitor

My husband and I just hooked a new 42" HD plasma monitor and HD DVD player.  In the process, we lost our 1080i Aspect Ratio.  We tried EVERYTHING, but the Aspect Ratio was "grayed" out in the setup process....out of desperation, I started searching for answer within the forums.  I found your Aspect Ratio Quick Fix, went through the process and now have our 1080i feed again.  We were ready to throw in the towel, but are now watching a beautiful picture on our new HDTV.  I would never have known to power off the cable box and access the menu per your Quick Fix...so we thank you very much and we hope others will benefit from your knowledge.

Cable Expert
cypherx

I posted a thread on the Comcast Central forums about this on demand video anomoly.

http://comcastcentral.lithium.com/comcastcentral/board/message?board.id=Feedback&thread.id=182

It involves a graphical glitch if the box is in "Stretch" mode.  Feel free to check it out.
Recognized Contributor

Unfortunately the 720p/Stretch settings yield lousy-quality SD pictures, at least on my converter/tv. 720p/480i looks 100x better, then I stretch the picture to fill the 16:9 tv via my tv's stretch/fill mode...
Cable Expert
cypherx

Well my Samsung HP-T4254 Plasma does not accept 480i over the HDMI ports.  I'm not sure why, but if you want 480i you must use Component, S-Video, or regular composite video.  So I was experementing between the stretch and 480P settings for SD channels.  I'm leaving it on 480P for SD because when its on streatch, I see a line of closed captioning data at the very top edge of my screen on most SD channels.

Other than that, I thought stretch looked pretty good.  Now only if they could create a 16:9 1280x720 native on screen guide. 
Recognized Contributor

[ Edited ]
Your tv not accepting 480i over HDMI is most likely a limitation of your tv's inputs. Your user manual may talk about this (but probably not)...Your 480p picture looks good for SD programs? Maybe that's also a function of the tv 'cause mine looks bad. I have to be really far back from the display in order not to notice the fuzziness, while w/1080i w/480i I can be about 3-4 ft from the screen & it still looks pretty good. I have the Motorola DCH3416, maybe your particular converter's deinterlacer is better...

Message Edited by wolf0621 on 08-23-2007 04:34 AM
New Visitor

I'm having a similar problem but the issue is the HD programs are too wide on the TV screen.  I have a Sony 50in wide screen and when watching ESPN, the ticker at the bottom of the screen is too wide for the TV which tells me the entire picture is too wide.  I'm sure it's a setting I'm missing but would appreciate if anyone else had the same problem and fixed it, what they did.  It is rather annoying.

Thanks,
Frank
Most Valued Poster
runnoft

[ Edited ]
Somebody else may have a different take on this, but my gut reaction, in my own experience, when this has happened on my widescreen TVs, is that I need to make an adjustment not to the cable box, but to my TV settings using the TV remote.  Most HDTVs' remotes have a perspective or view button-- it may be marked with an icon rather than words-- and for example, on Sonys, it's an icon of a rectangle with arrows extending out in four directions.  Find that button, and cycle through the choices there by pressing it repeatedly, until you find the one setting that looks best to you.  Different programs may require different settings with that button.

Now, if none of those settings shows the right perspective, so you can see all of the picture, undistorted, you may need to change a setting as instructed here:
(This assumes you have a Moto HD box-- it doesn't have to be a DVR.)

Post back again if none of this helps, and if possible, give some more info to go on.

Message Edited by runnoft on 01-06-2008 08:08 PM
Contributor

Thanks,it worked.I have now 1080I and 480I override.
I want to know if there is another set top box,except DVR that has the HDMI output.
Most Valued Poster
runnoft

[ Edited ]
Welcome, Mugur, but please don't post the same question in more than one place on the forums, a forum no-no.  Your question is answered here:
If you have a question that is not directly related to the topic, it's best to start your own thread rather than adding your question to somebody else's thread.  You do that by hitting the New Message button, one screen back.

Message Edited by runnoft on 01-06-2008 09:35 PM
Visitor

Do any of the replies above answer tlict's question?   I have the same issue as he mentions first.  HD service for HD programming works great on my Panasonic 50" plasma - except for HD OnDemand (even on the $5.95 HD OnDemand New Releases) .  That comes in 480i, at least as reported by my TVs status display.  It doesn't kick the aspect over to FULL as regular HD programming does and when left in 4:3 is surrounded by black bars on the sides, above and below.  I have spoken with 3 CSRs at local Comcast office today.  They all said variations of the same thingL "HD OnDemand is 480i but that is still HD...just use your Zoom button'.  I tried to explain that under no circumstances did I consider a 480i transmission HD.  I called a colleague tonite and asked him to start the same movie I was watching...he did and his TV reported the broadcast as 720P (as per the setting on his DVR).  I'm waiting on a call back from a supervisor at Comcast but I don't have high hopes.  It seems the local CS people don't understand what I'm asking nor do they grasp the most basic concepts as related to High Definition TV.
New Visitor

any ad vice if they gave you DCH3200.  All my SD channels come through in widescreen, but HD comes through Full screen only. A little backwards if you ask me, I think the box they gave me just last month is way outdated
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

curiouscustomer wrote:
any ad vice if they gave you DCH3200.  All my SD channels come through in widescreen, but HD comes through Full screen only. A little backwards if you ask me, I think the box they gave me just last month is way outdated

Sounds like you don't have the cable box setup configured correctly.  See this.
Regular Contributor

WarEagle has a good link to solve the problem. The hints here actually helped me some time ago, but I forgot to post my reply.

There is still an issue, tho. When you change from 480i to "Stretch" in order to view On Demand HD programming, you have to go back and to reset to 480i (or 480p) to view non-HD programming. Otherwise, that programming will be distorted and "stretched".

Regarding my closed captioning issue: 1) I can use component cables from the HD box to the TV input and still use closed captioning from my TV remote, but ONLY on non-HD channels; 2) If I use HDMI, I lose the closed captioning from the remote and have to use the HD box on all channels. So, I just keep them both connected to different inputs and use as needed. The biggest difference is the sound - MUCH better via HDMI.

Has anyone heard anything regarding Picture-In-Picture thru Comcast HD box pre DTV conversion?????? I don't want to lose that come DTV and I know I will if they don't so something prior to 2/17/09.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]
This trick isnt working with my Insiginia 42 inch HDTV. My tv has a button to switch the aspect ratio and I have to manually select the right one. The settings are normal and wide (and zoom and cinema, i dont know what they're for, they always make the picture too big to fit my screen), so if i want to watch an HD channel I have to switch it to wide, and for SD channels I have to switch it to normal and this is quite frustrating.  How do i make it automatically pick the right aspect ratio? I have a Motorola model DCH3416 HD / DVR digital cable box and I'm using the HDMI port of my tv.

Also I can't switch closed caption mode using the TV's original remote when using the HDMI port. It says "No CC information available" when I know the channel DOES have closed captions.

Message Edited by TomCat4680 on 08-12-2008 04:34 AM

Message Edited by TomCat4680 on 08-12-2008 04:36 AM
Visitor

Re: Aspect Ratio: Quick Fix - Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

All setup instructions are for Motorola boxes.  I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR box.  Where can I find instructions for it?

Regular Contributor

Google? Wikipedia? I found instructions via both of those.
Visitor

Thank you.  Found and downloaded both 16 page Manual and 48 page User Guide.  The brochure from Comcast is beautifully glossy but has scant useful information.  They really should hand out these Scientific Atlanta manuals with the box or at least indicate in the brochure where to find these on Internet.
Regular Contributor
Aprilk

We have the same problem.  It only started when we went from a digital box to a HD digital box.  My TV is a 53" Panasonic HDTV projection monitor widescreen (about 7 years old) with analog QAM channel capability (which we use for the PIP).  The settings have been checked and double checked on the cable box and the tv.  The best we can do is push the picture up and read the bottom scroll or push the picture down and read the top information.  To me, it looks like overscan, but there is no way to change that.  We use component connection so the aspect ratio on the TV cannot be changed on HD channels, just regular digital channels. Our TV uses cablebox settings of 1080i for HD on the components  (no options on remote) and 480i for the 4:3 override which allows us to view in 4:3, full, justified or zoom via the remote.  If I change the cable box to anything but 1080i we end up with bars on the sides of the channels, even in HD, but the top and bottom are still cut off.

This really bites when you are trying to watch a race.

New Visitor
21mark

Excellent. I am so glad that you share your knowledge. Saved me a lot. Thank you so much

Contributor

I was having the same problem as some here, i.e. not being able to see the ticker on ESPNHD. I found a very easy fix on my Comcast remote. On the number pad near the bottom of the remote, there is a small button labelled "HD ZOOM". I am using the Scientific Atlanta box btw. This button allows you to set up either for a 4:3 (standard) or 16:9 (wide screen). When I completely the easy setup for my Aquos wide screen, it fixed my zooming problem.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg