Contributor
steelworker77

Audio Cutting out hooked up to yamaha receiver in HD

I purchased a yamaha receiver rx-v2600 and hooked my hd motorola box (small black one with no display) through a hdmi cable to my receiver then my recevier to my tv.  Problem is my audio is cutting in an out. Its fine with my blueray player or if I hook the box up with the analog connectors but then I lose hd.  

Now I fixed it by turning off the cable box and hitting menu bringing up the setup screen then going to additional hdmi settings and changing the audio settings from auto to L-PCM.  

This fixed my audio problem.  Now my problem is at least once a day the cable box converts itself back to auto and the problem is right back.  

How do I keep the setting permanant on L-PCM? ???

Visitor
wolfestone

Re: Audio Cutting out hooked up to yamaha receiver in HD

I'm having the same problem, also on a (different) yamaha reciever. Setting to L-PCM did stop the audio dropout, but I've been told this limits you to 2 channel audio rather than 5.1 if the content supports it.

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it reverts back to 'auto' on my box too.

Visitor
wolfestone

Yep, same thing here. It reset itself back to auto and the sound become choppy. I checked on another forum and was told that one solution might be to connect the box directly to the tv, then run an optical cable from the box to the receiver for audio. That's what I'm going to try, I'll post back what I find out.

I switched the boxes, tried a different port on the receiver etc but nothing solved it.
Contributor
steelworker77

I have an hdmi upscaling feature on this receiver converting everything to 1080 when possible. I believe I would lose that feature if I hooked it straight to the tv.  

Contributor
steelworker77

Anyone else having this problem?  Anyone know if swiching to L-PCM cuts out the 5.1 surround or how to make the setting permanent on the box with out it switching itself back to the auto setting.  

Visitor
wolfestone

I've got an optical cable now, so I'm running the cable box to the tv with HDMI then connecting the optical out on the cable box to the receiver. I still get the same exact issue.

I'm wondering if it's some kind of incompatibility with certain yamaha recievers.

Visitor
wolfestone

Had the technician out today, they determined it was a weak signal. Gave me the option to install an amplifier or schedule the maintenance team to come out and crank up the signal. I opted for the second choice. Hopefully this'll help.

Visitor
wolfestone

Well it didn't help. Out of ideas at this point.

Contributor
nosmokingbandit

I have the same problem with a HK 5.1ch system, so its not a yamaha thing. I've been trying to find a fix but i haven't made any progress. I have a feeling Comcast just can't keep up with the bandwidth required for the box to output 5.1ch. I'm going to try running my video straight to the tv tonight and see what happens, but i doubt that wil so anything.

New Visitor
Mallstars

I found a fix for this that worked for me. Dont ask why I tried it but it worked!  I put a HDMI switcher between the cablebox and the yamaha HDMI input.  I am not sure why it works but it does.  The audio was actually clearer and the center channel responded better. An hdmi switch is about $25. Good Luck!