Regular Contributor
pmish

Audio Set Up

Why do I have to go thru the audio set up on my blue ray every time I turn on my TV in order to hear my home theatre speakers? 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Audio Set Up

well how do you have your cable box connected, if its through the receiver hdmi you should switch to an optical audio cable and run the box hdmi straight to the tv.  Also make sure you are not turning the cable box off, what you are experiencing is a loss of the hdmi handshake when the tv is turned off.

Regular Contributor
pmish

Not sure how it is connected, I don't know how to check. This is what I have to do: Turn on the TV and I have sound. Turn on the blue ray and still I have sound. But in order for the sound to come thru the speakers, using the blue ray remote I press the :home button - simplink systems, click thru to Audio, click on speaker set up, go thru the agreement for the speakers current set up save, exit out of that, exit out of the "Movie, Photos, Netfix, set up" menu. press the INPUT button on blue ray, to HDM12, Press the Tuner button to take the blue ray to Optical - EVERY TIME I turn on my TV. Is this what you mean is wrong?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

well you should not have to go through all that to just hear sound when you turn on your tv.  Unfortunately unless you can tell anyone here how you have this set up there is not much anyone can do. 

Regular Contributor
pmish

My TV is flat screen on wall, with iPhone i took pics, here is what I found out:

1. HMMI on cable box connects to TV - DMI IN

2.Optical cable on Bluray connects to TV - OPTICAL DIGITAL ADIO OUT

3.MDMI OUT on bluray connects to TV - DMI IN (port underneath #1)

Please tell me this helps you.

Regular Contributor
pmish

I just read this on this forum.will it help me? I have a LG Bluray. the only number on the back that makes sense is 905INAR502560.

"need remote control code for new Samsung HT-F4500"

[ New ]

Regular Contributor
pmish

Does anyone have an answer for me today?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

pmish wrote

My TV is flat screen on wall, with iPhone i took pics, here is what I found out:

You are running the optical output of the Blu ray to the optical output of the tv. Try running the optical output of the into the receiver.

Regular Contributor
pmish

As I'm not technical, which is the reciever?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

It should be the device you are running your home theather speakers from.

This is an example of the hookup

digital audio to amp on LG Blu ray.png

Regular Contributor
pmish

That would mean connecting my Blu-ray to my Cable box. Trouble is the end of the cable that was in the TV has a square shape to it and nothing on the back of my cable box matches that shape although there is a red port labelled audio out but it will not fit in that. Can I send you a photo of the back of these units? Maybe that would help.

Regular Contributor
pmish

Another thing - when I disconnected the cable from the TV and let it hang on the table nothing changed. Does this help?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

You had mentioned home theater speakers. I presumed they were connected to a stereo receiver for surround sound.

The HDMI cables carry both the video and sound so with a HDMI connected to your tv from the Blu ray you wouldn't need the optical audio cable connected to the tv.

Also I would guess that the optical audio from the Blu Ray is a output. It would need to connect to a input and there would be no Audio input on the Cable box either. Don't plug the optical audio cable into the cable box.

Just leave that optical audio cable disconnected and see how things work.

Regular Contributor
pmish

Speakers work but I still have to go through the audi set up to change them from anything but Bypass. In case this makes a difference - the Aux on my remote does nothing, should it be able to control my Blu-ray as i have to use another remote to turn the Blu-ray on?

Regular Contributor
pmish

OK, new development. While waiting on your last reply I found a port on the back of the Cable box  - light green and it had a shape that matched the Optical cable end. I plugged the Optical cable into that. When I removed it per your last message, I lost audio. I plugged it back in and recovered the aduio. It is located underneath the Digital Audio port. What did I do?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

What cable box do you have?

Regular Contributor
pmish

It says on the front Comcast DCX3400.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Good

But I see some of the confusion. I looked up that Samsung HT-F4500 model you posted.

In a earlier post you listed these connections.

The advice I was giving you was based on that.

What you need to do is run the optical audio cable from the blu ray to the Samsung HT-F4500 unit. Unless that is what you were calling your tv. That is a Home Theather system. That is the unit that controls the speakers and what I was calling the receiver. Sorry I should have looked that up first.

So try this setup once.

Optical cable from Blu Ray audio out to Samsung HT-F4500 optical audio input.

Regular Contributor
pmish

I didn't write anything about a Samsung. Please review all past posts and let's start again!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

From message 6

I just read this on this forum.will it help me? I have a LG Bluray. the only number on the back that makes sense is 905INAR502560.

"need remote control code for new Samsung HT-F4500"

Did you write the above? That Samsung model is a home theather system. That was what my last posting was about.

This the link to the manaul for that Samsung model listed above

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201303/20130321105507185/02574D-00-HT-F4500_30_ZC_00_01...

Regular Contributor
pmish

Yes I wrote it asking the question but I think it confused the issue, sorry.

Let's begin again:

I have a LG flat screen TV

I have a Comcast DCX3400 CableBox

I have LG Blu-ray player.

My problem is I have to go through the audio setup on my Blue-ray (see early post) EVERY TIME I turn my TV on in order for the sound to come through my speakers that are connected to my Cable Box.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Thanks.

Usually people don't connect the speakers directly to the cable box since most of the audio outputs are used to connect to tvs or stereo receivers. The speakers are than controlled by the stereo receiver or home theather system.
That is why I asked what the home theather speakers were connected to.

To prevent some more confusion what is the model for the LG tv? I want to look up the manual.

Regular Contributor
pmish

Not sure of the model but I found these numbers:

Product code: 47LH55 - UA.AUSVLHR

Serial # 905RMJF177892

Regular Contributor
pmish

Sorry, the speakers ARE connected to the Blu-ray not the Cable box.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Thanks

The product code worked. Let me do a little more research on this and get back later.

Final question for tonight.

That Samsung HT-F4500 you mentioned in that one message. Is that used at all?

Regular Contributor
pmish

NO - only the LG TV and LG Blue-ray along with my Comcast cable box. As I said, sorry, the speakers are connected to the Blue-ray not the Cable box. I think I'm going bonkers with this issue! Thanks and goodnight.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Goodnight to you.

Technology can drive a person bonkers. That explains me:smileygrin:

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Good Morning,

Can you look for a model number on your LG Blu ray? It should start with BP.

Last night I looked at a few of the LG Blu ray players on the LG site. None of the ones I looked at had a direct speaker connection shown.

The model number will help.

Thanks

Regular Contributor
pmish

I've had trouble getting info from LG also.

The Blue Ray is

Network Blue-Ray Home Theatre

Model # LHB953

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Try this setup and see if it helps.

HDMI cable from Cable Box to TV

HDMI cable from LG Blu Ray to TV

Optical audio cable from the Cable Box to the Blu Ray optical audio cable input.

Regular Contributor
pmish

Canyou tell me where on the TV to plug them in so I connect them in correctly please?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Hard to explain over the forums especially if a person is not comfortable with technology. These are the links to the support pages for the manuals from LG if you don't have paper copies at home. You can use the diagrams.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this do you know someone who is a bit of handyman/technology person that could help out.

Actually from your original setup you mentioned earlier the HDMI cables are already connected. So those should be good.

All you should need to do is take the Optical Audio cable and connect it to the cable box.

TV

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LH55#

Blu Ray Home theather system

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-LHB953#

On each page look for the Download manuals, it should be in red

Link for the cable box

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Video-Solutions/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Customer%20Pr...

Regular Contributor
pmish

All connected as diagrams showed.

Now the sound only comes inwhen I turn on the Blu-ray remote. OK with me. BUT the only choice I have is "By-pass." Using the 'sound' button on the remote I cannot change to movie, concert, sport etc.sounds. This was where I was before (except for the sound being governed by the blue-ray remote). If I go through all that audio set up as previously described I can get those choices. Now what do you suggest?

Regular Contributor
pmish

No this isn't an acceptable solution, yet!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

If those functions were controlled with the SIMPLINK function can you change them using the TV remote?

From the looks of the SIMPLINK information in the manuals the tv remote may be able to make those changes.

You can go to the OPTION menu on the posting you selected as solved and mark as unsolved if you wish.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Found this in the Blu Ray manual

HDMI Audio

You can set TV speaker output for the audio signal from the HDMI OUT jack.

[Off] –Audio signals are output to the system speakers only.

[On] –Audio signals are output from the TV’s speaker and the

system’s front left and right speaker and subwoofer.

Note:

When [HDMI Audio] is set to [On], the sound mode is switched to [BYPASS] automatically.

This looks like it is set in the Blu Ray Audio menu. If it is set to OFF then you should be able to use the sound modes again.

Regular Contributor
pmish

I couldn't get the Blue-ray manual as it doesn't open in Safari (I'm a Mac person). So where do I do these instructions? On the back of the unit, in the set up, on the remote or where?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Those settings are under the Audio section of the Blu Ray setup menu.

Regular Contributor
pmish

It's done, it works! Long haul but we made it and I have a TV and Theatre system that works like it should, Yea!!! Thanks!

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Congratulations.