New Visitor
jeffrs

Basic cable used with a cable box

Hi All,

I just subscribed to Basic Cable, which does not provide a cable box.  I imagine this brings a coax directly to the TV.  All we wanted was basic service without a contract as on-demand is handled via Netflix, Hulu, and other internet providers.

My home theatre uses the receiver as the central point, and HDMI cables go from there to the Blu-ray player, TV, and whatever else is in the system, which previously was a Directv receiver.   Therefore, having the cable go directly to the TV is not what I want.

Question: Can I purchase a cable box to accept the coax and use HDMI as done for the other components.

Thank you.

Jeff

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Basic cable used with a cable box

You cannot purchase one, you have to rent one from comcast.  In my area the lowest digital box runs 9.99 a month, but to have an hdmi out it will depend on if your in a motorola or SA Cisco community as to which lowest level of box you can get that has an hdmi out.  Regardless though you are going to need a box as comcast transitions everyone over to digital.

Visitor

Comcast transitioned to digital quite some time ago, and one does not need a comcast cable box in order to receive digital programming....just a digital tuner, which has been standard equipment on any television set manufactured for at least the last two years, maybe longer...

rog286713 wrote:

You cannot purchase one, you have to rent one from comcast.  In my area the lowest digital box runs 9.99 a month, but to have an hdmi out it will depend on if your in a motorola or SA Cisco community as to which lowest level of box you can get that has an hdmi out.  Regardless though you are going to need a box as comcast transitions everyone over to digital.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

that is correct, but comast has been encrypting all channels in some markets, that is what I am referring to.  You can say oh thats against the fcc rules and what not but they are doing it.   Thats what I posted about. 

Regular Contributor
truerock2

Yes, for example in Houston you do not need a cable-box to receive "Limited Basic Cable" (the local channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc).  Comcast started encrypting the other "Basic Cable" channels (AMC, ESPN, CNN, TNT, etc.) when they started switching the "Basic Cable" channels to digital.  Actually, I guess it would be more exact to say they started encrypting the other "Basic Channels" when they raised the prices on "Basic Cable" (that is when "Limited Basic" was invented).  Based on jeffrs' question - I'm thinking he has "Limited Basic Cable" and does not need a cable-box.  So, jeffr...

Think of your TV as a cable box (a TV tuner without a decryptor).  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that your TV does not have a HDMI-out port - but, doesn't it have audio-out ports?  The audio-out ports can go to your receiver.  I know what your trying to do - but, unless you have a "receiver" with a TV tuner in it you are not going to get the ultimate centralized solution I know you want.

Regular Contributor
truerock2

By the way.  About 5 years ago I bought a DVD player that had a TV tuner built into it.  It could record video onto DVDs.  I bought it for $50 at Best Buy.  I used it to do what you are trying to do with Basic Cable.  Of course Basic Cable was not encrypted back then.  For no particular reason, Blu-ray player/recorders with digital TV tuners are insanely expensive (several thousand dollars).

New Visitor
jeffrs

People.  The answer is yes you can buy a cable box.  But after chatting with Comcast support, they rented me a box for $2.45/month and I'm super happy about it.  There is no way to buy a box (or TIVO for that matter) that competes with that.  The install is next week.

Jeff