Blu-ray connection with cable/dvr and sound bar

I can't find any diagrams that show how to hook up the following components:

LG LCD TV 

Motorola (Comcast) DVR/Cable box

Philips Sound Bar/DVD player

Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S570

TV has only one HDMI jack

Sound bar only has HDMI out

I don't plan to use the DVD player that is part of the Sound Bar if I can get the Blu-Ray hooked up

but I do want to use it for the sound as it is quite an improvement over the sound from the LG TV

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Blu-ray connection with cable/dvr and sound bar

Please post the model of the sound bar

Thanks

Contributor

Sound Bar is HTS8100

thanks

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You might start with a HDMI switcher if you also have a HD cable box with a HDMI output. 

OR

Use one type of input on the TV for each device.  Use the HDMI for the Blu-Ray, Component for the cable box and composite for the DVD player in the sound bar.  This would work if you have one input of each type on the TV.

Then your would also run a audio line from the TV's audio ouput to the sound bar audio input to feed the soundbar.

Contributor

not sure I understand.

Run HDMI cable from Blu-Ray to tv?

component cables from cable box/dvr to tv?

composite from soundbar to TV?

so there would be no direct connection between the soundbar and the blu ray, nor would the blu-ray connect to the cable box.  I want to be able to stream video via netflix through the blu ray - will this work?

Currently it is set up as follows (without the blu-ray)

HDMI from soundbar to TV

component (five inputs/outputs) from cable box/dvr to TV

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

You are partially there.  Your are limited by the limited inputs on the TV and that the soundbar does not have any inputs.

Remove the HDMI from the soundbar, and connect the Blu-Ray to the HDMI on the TV.  That is the only way to play your Blu-Ray's.

You will need to run a audio line from the audio output of the TV to the audio input on the soundbar (page 18 of the manual).  That's how the sound gets from the TV to the sound bar, including the sound from the Blu-Ray player.

The Comcast DVR would never connect to the Blu-Ray.   To stream Netflix from the Blu-Ray you need a internet connection on your router's LAN port to the LAN port on the Blu-Ray.  Do not connect a ethernet cable from the DVR to the Blu-Ray, it will not work, the ethernet port on the DVR is not enabled, nor can it be.

Keep asking, if your totally confused.

Contributor

I'm not confused, but unfortunately that did not work.  I have the HDMI running from the Sony Blu-Ray to the LG TV but when I select the HDMI input on the LG, it gives me a blank screen with the message "Invalid Format"  I have unplugged everything and plugged it back in, checked the connections multiple times. even tried two different HDMI cables, including the one that previously ran from the soundbar to the tv.

Sound is working fine from TV to soundbar.  Probably a problem for Sony or LG at this point?  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Can you access the menu on the Sony and re-run easy setup, or do a factory reset?  Page 27 of the Sony manual, and troubleshooting is on the next page.

If you can't see the menu's, unplug both the Sony and the TV, and give it a minute, then plug in the TV and then the Sony again.

Contributor

Can't see the menus - they are supposed to display on the tv but it only says "invalid format."

I unplugged everything and plugged in again.  No change.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you Google "LG TV Invalid format" you will get alot of posts on the same issue.

Some say a firmware update, if available to your TV, will help, others workaround the issue by changing the resolution on the source device to a lower resolution, like 720P or 1080I helps.

So, I'd go to LG's support site and see if a firmware upgrade is available.

Otherwise, try and temporary hook up the Sony to the TV with a yellow composite cable, and do a factory reset, or try and force a lower resolution on the Blu-Ray that the TV likes.  Then rehook the HDMI and see if you can access the Sony's menu page and play a disk.

This is one of those horror stories on HDMI issues and incompatibilities that come across way too often.

Contributor

Ok, I made some progress!  I was able to set the Blu-Ray at a lower resolution via a button on the front of the player.  I got the set-up menu to come on screen and when I put in a dvd it plays!  That's the good news.  The bad news is there is no sound from either the sound bar or the tv when the dvd is playing.  do I have to run audio cables from the soundbar to the Blu-Ray?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If your using HDMI from the Sony to the TV, the sound is carried along with the video on the HDMI cable.  There would not be a need for any additonal cables from the Blu-Ray.

Go into the sound settings on the Sony's menu and try different settings to get the audio to work so it comes out the TV's speakers first.  Page 23 on the Sony manual.

Once you get sound on the TV, then the sound bar should work if you have the audio from the TV's output routed to the audio input on the soundbar.

I'm used to setting these up with a surround sound system, so not used to the settings for a TV speaker setup, don't know the exact settings on the Sony to change.

Contributor

I think I will not be able to use the soundbar due to the integrated DVD player.  I have disconnected the soundbar and I can now get sound from the TV for both tv programming and from the Blu-Ray.  I have also connected the Blu-ray to my wireless network and it is performing an update now.  I think this will be the best I can do.  Maybe shop for a new home theater option that does not include DVD.

Thank you for your help!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Glad to hear you at least have sound out of the TV.  Sorry you still have some limitations with your existing system.

(I have the same BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player)  It seems like it's always getting updates many times I turn it on.  Glad you got the wireless going, many seem to have issues with the wireless setup.

New Visitor
TRAES

Re: Sony Blu Ray BDV-E580 Connection to Comcast DVR HELP

I am struggling with the connection of my Comcast DVR, Sony Bravia TV and Sony Blu Ray (BDV-E580).  I have sound, but unable to use the Sony Blu Ray for internet streaming access, DVD playback, or any other items.  I have connected the Sony Blu Ray to the TV via HDMI cable, and connected the Sony Blu Ray to modem via LAN connection.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.