New Visitor
ihavetwins2

Box with HDMI port without HD service?

Got a new TV and wanted to connect comcast cable box to TV with HDMI cable, but current box does not have HDMI port.  Called customer service who said I could exchange my current box for one that had a HDMI port. I specifically asked if there would be an additional cost.  They said no, but to tell them when I exchange box that I just wanted box with HDMI port but not HD service.   I took my box to local Comcast office.  They told me a new box with HDMI port would cost me 9.99 per month.  They said that I could not have a HDMI port without buying HD service.  They also said if I agreed to HD service, then cancelled it,  I would have to return new box for standard def box.  Anybody know which COMCAST representative was right? 

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: Box with HDMI port without HD service?

HDMI is a high def connection, so you can only get HDMI on a high def box. The HD service comes with the box.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Some models of a full HD box are used with Std Def service.  The system disables the HD channels and the HD ports, both HDMI and component when the HD code is not in the billing system.

You can't get around getting a HD port active without paying for HD.

New Visitor
PGHammer

Untrue.  You *can* have an HD STB (not DVR) - even one that supports HDMI - without HD service.

We have two STBs (one old Moto DCT-22xx and one Pace RNG110 - the Pace supports composite, component, HDMI-out, and RF-out); both are connected to SDTVs (the Moto via composite, the Pace via component).  We're a Triple Play customer with only up to Digital Starter (no Digital Classic *or* HDTV service).  We also have two DTAs and one CableCARD.  The CC TV gets the locals in HD (along with News Channel 8 HD at #808); however, due to bad pairing (TV issue - not CC issue AFAIK; the TV itself has other issues), I don't even get the SD channels I should have on that TV.  The DTAs and STBs are fine.

I am looking to replace the CC TV (42" plasma) with a same-size LED being fed by a Tivo Premiere (since it takes CCs, it would be a straight swap).

New Visitor
Quique76

I had almost the exact same experience as the original poster. My interaction was through online chat and was told no charge to exchange cable box for one with HDMI output. Of course when I went to the service center today, it was a different story. The worker told me there was no distinction between ordering HD service and renting a HD cable box. I came back with my old cable box. It's very frustrating to deal with Comcast employees with different stories.
Contributor
JStorm

Just connect a coaxial cable to your HDTV  you'll get local channels in HD no fees just not everything but at least you'll get some .

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

JStorm wrote:

Just connect a coaxial cable to your HDTV  you'll get local channels in HD no fees just not everything but at least you'll get some .

If they haven't been encrypted (yet).

New Visitor
swingdancers100

Just had the same frustrating experience in Pittsburgh franchise. I wonder if talking to a manager would help. I'm thinking that I went through this before.

New Visitor
Brg7562

I just had the same experience. I went to the Comcast service. Enter and explained that I just wanted to use an hdmi connector and did not want to incur any additional charges. I was told no problem and given a box and a receipt with a $0.00 total. A couple of hours later, I get an email showing additional charges to my monthly bill. I then called Comcast and the agent told me there were no additional charges, it must be a "glitch". Knowing he didn't know what he was talking about, I called the next day and of course there are additional charges. I told them I want to cancel my service and they want to charge me an early cancelation fee or $120. This is why people are leaving the cable companies in droves. Comcast pulls the bait and switch all the time and they think that they are going to grow their client base?
Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post.