New Visitor

Buying Your Own cable Box

Has anyone bought a box for Comcast not supplied by Comcast? What all needs to be done to do this as far as hooking and setting it up. I cannot see paying a rental fee for something I can buy on my own.

I would like to know if this is possible and how.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Buying Your Own cable Box

[ Edited ]

You should be very careful about buying a cable box, since in most cases it will not be usable with Comcast (possibly stolen).  Check back here before purchasing something like that, other than a TiVo or similar equipment with cablecard capability.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

One of the forum administrators told me a purchased box would not be able to be acitvated. They would consider it stolen property. So if you purchase one it would be your financial loss. I asked once when I saw a Comcast DTA advertised on eBay, brand new in box, from someone who switched to satellite. They were trying to sell it for $89 and they probably wouldn't have had to pay much of a monthly rental fee if any.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

Sounds like Comcast is the only one able to deal with stolen property.  Nice outfit, Judge/Jury/Executioner..

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

If it was stolen, then it was stolen from Comcast.  What's your point?

New Visitor

Well I guess that is just a shame that they have the market cornered and we all have to sit on our hands. sounds like we are all in the wrong business.

So much for free enterprise in America......

Thanks to all for the replies

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

What if it wasn't stolen?  As noted, it's a monopoly and anytime I see something that is a monopoly then I open my big mouth and chime it..  YMMV

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

All I know is one time looking up some information on the DTAs I ran across a link for one listed for sale. Link was to eBay. Some guy had one listed as unopened for sale since they went to Direct or Dish. Pictures included. Box had Comcast written all over it. So I guess it depends on the point of view for whether or not it would be consider stolen.