New Visitor
jc3058

Buying a DTA

I need one DTA for a small tv I will use infrequently.  Comcast already gave me two free ones during the transition and I don't want to have to rent one every month.  I see them online, Comcast models, and am wondering if I buy one, is there anything I have to do to make it work?  Do I have to activate it with Comcast and is that allowed doing it this way?

Moving it from one of the other tv's when I want to use it isn't an option.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Buying a DTA

Comcast only rents cable boxes in this country.  Other than things like TiVo, you have to rent them.  Don't buy a Comcast box online, because it will be useless.

New Visitor
jc3058

What about the small DTA's (not a cable box) and that are the same ones like Comcast gave me including the box that they came in.  Are you saying that these will not work either?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I'm not aware of anything like that available for sale.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

wareagle

Quick search of ebay came up with this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comcast-Digital-Transport-Adapter-DTA-Cable-Box-DC50X-/280798224052?pt=LH_De...

For the original poster. Same advice should be applied to DTAs for sale on the Internet. Beware purchasing them because they probably won't be accepted as legal by Comcast since they don't sell those to customers in the first place. Even if they were given to a subscriber free they are still the property of Comcast.

Just for general information from eBays website on items not allowed for sale on their site.

• Satellite and Cable TV descramblers: Items that can only be used to access cable or satellite television programming without the permission of satellite or cable operators aren't allowed. Stating the item is for educational or testing purposes does not make it acceptable to list. Examples of items that aren't allowed include:

• Smart Card programmers and unloopers

• Programmed Smart Cards

• Blocker devices

• Hardware or software DSS emulators

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

I don't consider stolen property to be legitimate items available for sale.  Avoid Comcast boxes on eBay.

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

[ Edited ]

Never even considered getting one that way. Too bad eBay doesn't monitor their site to see if the rules they set are being followed.

Having only Limited Basic in my market the box and remote rent for under a dollar at present. I'm happy for now.

New Visitor
jc3058

Thanks to all for the good advice.  I'll probably just rent from Comcast at some point.

New Visitor
bagajellydonuts

I bought my broadband modem years ago. It is still functioning perfectly. I figure I've saved a bundle by not renting. So why can't I buy a DTA