New Visitor
grammyinwestpal

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST COMCAST

It appears that Comcast is trying to drive TiVo out of business.  The Comcast "serviceman" just left my house and he could not hook up the digital box to TiVo and make it work.  Told me I could record only the channel I was watching.  But I could "rent" the Comcast DVR which would do what my TiVo does now, which is record 2 channels while watching another.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

What model TiVo do you have?  One that is similar to the Comcast DVR works fine with a cablecard, and no Comcast box.

New Visitor
michelebates

I just got comcast and I am currently PO'd.  The tech wouldn't hook up the TiVo; "it's not our equipment..."  OK.  I hooked it up and now I get a message on the cable channels (A&E, History, TBS, etc) and not on network (ABC,CBS, NBC) that due to copyright issues, the TiVo recording will only be kept for 7 days, can not be transfered to disc or tape, and will auto delete 24 hours after the initiation of the first viewing. (it deletes after 24 hrs even if I only watch the first minute). 

I called Comcast and "they never heard of this problem".  I called TiVo (much better Customer Service, WAY BETTER) and they said it is a Comcast setting.

This did not happen on our WAVE Broadband service when we were living in Dixon, CA, 8 miles away.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michele

New Visitor
michelebates

Re: Trying to choose: TiVo Premiere vs. Comcast DVR

[ Edited ]

WarEagle57,

Does your TiVo save programs beyond 7 days and longer than 24 hours after you begin watching them?  We recently "joined" Comcast and we now get a copyright notice on all non-ABC/CBS/NBC recordings.

Not too happy about that.

Thanks.

Michele

Email Expert

It sounds like Comcast is including the broadcaster's copy protection markings in their programs.

Contributor

Re: Trying to choose: TiVo Premiere vs. Comcast DVR

Michelle, are you talking about broadcast programs or movies that you rent? For regular broadcast programs, TiVo saves them as long as you want, potentially forever. I would think that the Comcast DVR does the same thing.

For movies that you rent (i.e., pay extra for), I believe that all of the sources, such as Amazon and Comcast's VIdeo on Demand, give you only a limited time to view the movies.

Connection Expert
EG

FWIW, I've had a Tivo XL for over a year now and I've never seen anything like that.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Same here.  I've never heard of such a problem.

Visitor

Re: CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST COMCAST

These rats ought to be sued. They sent all their IT and customer service jobs over to Guadalajara, Mexico. Now you call up and they can never help you at all. They're both not authorized to help you and they profit from not having to do anything but stall you and tell you no.

A month ago I tried to pay for ($54.99) a UFC fight. I ordered the fight and it gave me the option of recording the fight. I opted to do this and watch it later. When I came home and found it not recorded, I was livid and called Comcast - "Probably there was a technical problem" I was charged for the fight and had to fight to get it removed from my charges. This past weekend I ordered and (I thought) recorded the Okami/Silva fight and after an hour and a half into it, I tried to turn it on and found it wasn't recorded. I called and the recording gave me a chance to order it again then. I did so, thinking that I would get the whole recording, instead, it recorded from that minute on. I called up and told them I missed an hour and a half and the Guadalajara-based employee told me that he couldn't do anything. I asked for the supervisor and 45 minutes later I got Eric (Employee number COER0211) who said he'd tell Accounting in an e-mail and I could get the charges reversed on Monday. On Monday, I called and got Victor in accounting (In Guadalajara!!!) who me he couldn't do anything. Later on (1 hour) his supervisor lowered the charge to $20.00. However, the trap is still set and anyone who orders UFC will still be asked if they'd like to record the fight and then will be unable to watch it later and will be charged regardless of watching it.

Most people don't know about this new "policy" of comcasts, but some lawyer should be able to make a good class-action case out of it. Beware the Comcast unpatriotic scoundrels!