Visitor
Brennan167

Cable Box Keeps Freezing Up, Resetting Doesn't Solve All Problems

Three times in the last week my cable box has not turned on in the morning.  I've noticed that the time tends to be incorrect on the box when this happens.  I've tried unplugging the box to let it reset.  This tends to work.  But I've noticed that some of the channels either don't come back or are unwatchable.  I get a notice -- white words on a black screen -- on some channels that it will be available shortly but never actually tunes in.  The other channels are a garbled pixillated mess.

This problem really started a while back with the unavailable or unwatchable channels.  Comcast set a guy out, maybe two months ago, with a new HD box.  That came after I tried to swap my box at a local Comcast center and was given an older model that didn't have HDMI capability, something I wasn't happy about at the time.

Any thoughts on what's going wrong here?  I dread going through the whole voicemail and long-line at the center process of trying to get this repaired.  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Cable Box Keeps Freezing Up, Resetting Doesn't Solve All Problems

First you should leave your box on and not turn it off, its not really off even when you turn it off it uses the same power.  If you try leaving it on does the problem go away?  Pixelating is a signal issue.  When the tech was out did he go over your wiring and check splitters or just swap the box?  Do you have any on demand issues? 

I would try leaving the box on first and see what that does, if it does not fix anything then you need to get the tech back out.  What box do you have?

Visitor
Brennan167

I don't power the box all the way down.  I turn off the cable but the box still has power, illustrating the current time, etc.

The box I have is a Motorolo HD Dual Tuner DVR, model number DCH 3416.  The tech who delivered it in September did not check my wiring.

Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

it sounds like your box is losing its connection to the comcast head end.  That is where the time is set from.   I would have a tech come out and go over your wiring.