New Visitor
2ndhandrose

Cable Box Problems - Says To Be Announced

Cable Box Problems -  Says To Be Announced for 99% of channels. Has been like this for several days. Just got these new smaller boxes about a week ago. Tried unplugging box then back in. Tried tightening cables. Tried everything.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Re: Cable Box Problems - Says To Be Announced

You have done everything you can do, now call Comcast.

New Visitor
2ndhandrose

Yeah I'll do that first thing Monday :smileyhappy: Was just curious if anyone else was having that issue too, that's why I posted on the boards.

Contributor
slickster40

I've lost a bunch subscribed channels about a week ago and finally decided to call Comcast today about it. The Rep diagnosed my DCT700 box remotely and after telling her the serial number, she determinded that I should have it replaced. I was surprised to hear that they would charge $50 for a technician's visit, unless I subscribe to their support program. In the past such visits were free when it involved their equipment and they would even lower my monthly bill for a few months.

Luckily a Comcast service center is in the neighbor town and I can take my box there for a free replacement. I doubt though that it will fix the problem. It's more likely that they reshuffled the channel/cable frequency pairings, causing a greater signal loss on some of those rearranged channels that I cannot receive now. The cable line serving my street has always been pretty marginal in any case and any such channel shuffling could easily accomplish what I've been experiencing. This happened before, and the solution was a signal booster at my wall connection. But that option is now gone.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

There is still no charge for a service call when it involves Comcast equipment. This is from their guarantee:

We will resolve routine issues in one visit or we'll credit you $20 or give you a free premium channel for three months.

After the first visit to your home, if we do not satisfactorily complete installation or can’t resolve a routine issue, we will credit you $20 or give you a free premium channel for three months. Additionally, we won’t charge you for a service visit that results from a Comcast equipment or network problem.

Contributor
slickster40

Barbie123,

that makes me wonder even more why the Comcast rep wanted $50 for a visit, even though herself admitted that the Comcast box tested out bad. From the fact that she asked me to look up its serial number (which Comcast should have in its database, in any case,) I figured perhaps she already knew that certain batch of serial numbers have been failing of that particular box model.

In any case, I already told her that I would take the box to the nearby Comcast service center for a replacement and would only call for a tech visit if the new box would still fail me. I can replace it myself and I don't like to set up appointments unless I absolutely have to. Thanks for the fast response, nevertheless.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

Barbie123,

FWIW, I have had two (2) separate phone "executives" tell me that it is at the "sole discretion of the tech" as to whether or not the $50 fee would be charged ... even with the in-home wiring plan.  I'm wondering if something has changed at Connie-cast or I just wound up with two really clueless CSRs.

Does anyone have an official word ? 

barbie123

What I posted is the official word from their website.

Contributor
slickster40

Well, I replaced my old cable box for a new DCH70 model, but the remote can only cycle among channel numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. So I can still only use my TV on the local channels directly, without the cable box. But that's not why I subscribed to the digital economy package. I wonder if this box must be somehow initialized remotely by a Comcast rep before use. The guy who gave the box to me did not say anything about that.

Contributor
timsjunk7

[ Edited ]

SAME HERE. PREMIUM CHANNELS ARE UNWATCHABLE OR NOT THERE. ON DEMAND RARELY WORKS SINCE 10/12/2012 AND IT'S GETTING EVEN WORSE.   COMCAST USES ALL REFURBS FOR THEIR CABLE AND TV BOXES, THAT'S WHY! THEY DON'T GET THAT YOU CAN'T REPAIR JUNK.

IF YOU CALL COMCAST DO IT DURING THE DAY, 9 TO 5, OR YOU GET SOMEONE WHO DOES NOTHING BUT KEEP YOU ON THE PHONE AND HAS YOU TURN THE BOX ON AND OFF.

COMCAST SUCKS!!!!!!!

New Visitor

Same exact problem here for DAYS now.

Contributor
slickster40

Yesterday I replaced the old cable box to a DCH70 model, but the box swap didn't change anything. However, since then I've seen improvement in receiving the dropped channels. I think this has something to do with a break in the rainy period because the problem also started when the rains came. Some part of the cable or splitter outside may take in moisture that effects signal loss on some channels more than on others. Just guessing. I might start with replacing the 30-year old splitters and insulate them better from moisture and see if that helps.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

30 year old splitters and cables would be highly suspect. High quality 1000mhz are needed now.

Contributor
timsjunk7

A new cable company would work much, much better. But good luck chasing wires and splitters. I'm afraid everyone with this problem doesn't have 30 year old splitters, but everyone does have faulty service. Hint, hint

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Not everyone has faulty service. My HD and SD picture and internet is excellent. I will admit it was VERY difficult getting there, and Comcast made me hate them in the process. 2 years and 30 phone calls and e-mails and everythings good now.

Contributor
slickster40

Timsjunk7,

my experience with Comcast has been pretty good overall. They always came through when I asked though I must admit that some of their phone reps have not been very helpful. But you may be right about the difference between those serving day and night shifts. Just like the proverbial difference between day and night sometimes.

Email Expert
CCCarole
Contributor
timsjunk7

EPIC FAIL by comast again!!! I am currently TRYING to watch 50/50 on Showtime and it's so pixelated and the sound is so choppy and going in and out it's unwatchable.

SO.........STILL PAYING FOR SOMETHING AND GETTING NOTHING BUT RIPPED OFF

COMCAST 9-5 HELP ALSO SUCKS. THEY SURE CANNOT FIX THIS PROBLEM AND I'M GETTING SICK OF PAYING FOR GARBAGE.

WISH THERE WAS ANOTHER CABLE COMPANY, ANY OTHER CABLE COMPANY HERE. I THINK I'LL LOOK INTO DISH. SCREW THIS GARBAGE!!!

Contributor
Glenn135

Well, I'm having the same problems--get local channels but very rarely any of the channels I pay for with the Digital Starter. Most channels have message "one moment please while your channels load" with the big box and "we've detected an interruption in your service" on the TV with the small DTA. And to have them charge you for replacing wiring inside your house (when you've had the same cable for 30 years) doesn't seem right to me. 

I do have ATT U-verse here as an option, and I've been checking on it today. May be time to give them a call. At least in the meantime I need to change down to local channels only.

Contributor
slickster40

Glenn,

I think it's unreasonable to expect that Comcast update your old cabling in the house. Not even outside of your home's structure. They are only responsible to the point where their cable reaches the wall of your house from the street. This is pretty standard method with all utility lines.

Contributor
Glenn135

Slickster,

Maybe so. And that is the way it is with utility companies. I just remember how Comcast's predecessor, Cablevision, handled things. They came out and fixed whatever was the problem with no charge. It didn't matter if the problem was inside or outside. Isn't wiring Comcast equipment? 

Contributor
timsjunk7

SHOCKING!! I was actually able to watch Contraband after the 5th try in 2 weeks! Is it fixed? Mine doesn't pixelate anymore and the sound works too. NOW, will it stay fixed???? Who knows. But all the hoops comcast made me jump through are hopefully over.

NOW I JUST NEED TO BE PAID BACK FOR SERVICES THAT DID NOT WORK!!

Thanks comcast, nice to see someone finally got their head out of their rear......hopefully!

New Visitor
mkm1001

You've probably found out by now that you do have to activate your new cable box.  Anytime you switch out one of the cable boxes, you have to call Comcast to activate.  There was a telephone number at the bottom of my receipt for the exchange.  You can also get to the activation menu by calling the main Comcast number.

New Visitor
mkm1001

A Comcast service rep told me that I could get new cables at the Comcast office for free when I told him I had purchased all new cables.  Everything related to cable and internet services inside my house has been replaced.  The Comcast rep came out last Wednesday to test and left a note....signal good outside...need someone at home to troubleshoot inside the house.  I wonder if the 10 year old cabling and splitter outside my house could be the problem.  I don't believe they thoroughly checked everything outside.

New Visitor
DianeH33915

I am on my third cable box in 2 weeks.  It got to the point where I was unplugging the box at least once to twice/day because of the "to be announced" messages when accessing the "guide" button.  I just installed my "new" box tonight, and I have already had to unplug it TWICE!  This afternoon the representative at Comcast told me it was a "wiring" problem, and would require a service call.  She firmly denied it had anything to do with their equipment, and told me that I could not continue getting new boxes every week.  My box is the model 2200, yet my local friend who has model 4250C has absolutely no problem.  When I asked the rep if I could have model 4250C, she said I could only have what is available.  Is this a scam in order to collect the $50 service call fee?  We can't all have WIRING PROBLEMS!!!!!

New Visitor
fedup101

To Be Announced

Have this on my cable also.  I signed up for cable over a week ago.  I picked up all my own equipment and went through heck with customer service for a whole day.  5 1/2 hours on the phone and nothing accomplished.  Next day another 2 hours on the phone when that  "great customer" serice agent said someone cancelled your connect order.  Then he booked a tech agent to come to the house. He finally connected it and left.  Nothing but problems with this whole deal. Internet is so slow a snail crossed my screen while waiting for anything to download.  Someone checked that and said "oh that isn't good" we will send a tech out.  He left and said he couldn't figure it out and  he would give my number to a man called "John Chappel" never got a call from him as he likely does not exist.......... 

The call back that they promise you does not work the phone rings and then says this option is not available so on hold again.  Nothing works on here.

I can't wait for Century Link to add our area to PRISM.............. that will be the end of comcast.  I am in a HOA and no satelite dishes work in here as we can't put them on the roofs.............

So total to date

7 hours on phone - most of that wait time for an agent.

5 days no cable

2 days of to be announced

Disconnected 4 times and rebooted 5 times nothing changes

What great customer service.  I next am writing the vice president a nice long documented letter about their customer service.

WHY DON'T THY SAY THEY ARE UPDATEING THE SYSTEM AND ARE HAVING PROBLEMS..........WOULDN'T THAT BE THE HONEST THING TO DO???????

New Visitor

our cable box did not work on one of the tv in our home. Error message called Comcast and they sent a new one out right away, no charge.