New Visitor
JB10

Cable Box Rebooting

My cable box keeps shutting down or rebooting randomly. Is there something wrong with the box. It happens a couple times every time im watching. It shuts down, then looks like its rebooting or updating and comes back on and has no channel info for a couple minutes.

Visitor
nobugs4me

Re: Cable Box Rebooting

Same here JB10.  It happened after an automatic and new update from Comcast for the way the menus/guide/DVR shows/etc. display.  The update was pushed into the boxes a few days ago.  It's totally annoying.  There better be a fix for this bug soon or we're switching to satellite TV.

Bronze Problem Solver
edpeters

I heard of a problem like that being due to the box getting too hot?

Visitor
nobugs4me

I guess it's possible Ed, but the issue is too coincidental with the recent update of the boxes.

New Visitor

I had same problem, Comcast could not communicate with box, but could talk to others in house. They said the box needed replaced. 

New Visitor

I'm on my second box and it just seems like it has a life of its own.  going to all 8's, then white dot blinking, then E 1:24, then 0.  first box I fixed once and then trying to dvr something it went out again.  Trying new box tonight already doesn't seem to be booting up.  didn't know about this new update though that may have caused it.

New Visitor

Customer service was real helpful.  told me to call my television manufacturer because it is my television. Imagine, the box goes off, then goes on, then goes off with the DVR push of a button and there is some answer on their paper that they read when you call that says it is your television!!!!  Just amazing!!!

Visitor

I have never had so many problems with Cable box/guide in all my life.

Starting today my box shuts off every 5 minutes.  It takes about 10-15 to reboot.... then 5 mins of TV until it shuts off again.  WTH??!

THe rep. said they cant come out to my apt. til WED... 5 DAYS????!!!!

This is totally unacceptable.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If the box is failing or overheating, you can certainly bring it and the remote to your local Comcast office on Saturday morning and swap it out.

Then only cancel the appointment if the box swap fixes it.  At least you will know if it is the box or another reason.

New Visitor
cdengler

Same problem I'm having too. Can't be heat since just today I turned on the box and about 1 min in it shuts down and re-starts. I want some money off my next bill. Can't watch a full movie without 4, 5, or more interuptions!

Visitor
nobugs4me

In my case, ended being my Logitech Harmony 1000 remote, an all-in-one remote.  For some reason the remote would send signals to the cable box and shut it off when the remote rechargeable battery went bad.  I removed the battery until I bought a new battery, and the issue went away.  It never did it again once I installed the new battery in the remote.  Who knew.  But this might not be help with everyone's issue with their cable box.

New Visitor
BG347

My cable box keeps Rebooting. It started doing this after the new on-screen guide arrived last week. I don't understand why there are so many problems associated with the upgrade. Off again!
New Visitor
cdengler

Mine is still not working! Called in the last three days with no resolution! My box is not over heating, I found out how to check that since it is recorded by the box what the temp is and if it has over heated. It is no way the remote, I took the batteries out and it had no effect. I power cycled many times. They supposedly re-set it at least twice now. So, Comcast, what are you going to do to make my TV watchable again? Are you going to credit my bill since I cannot watch not even one show or movie without at least 4 interuption an hour. If I change channels it happens even faster. I want this fixed! No more excuses. Fix your firmware upgrade or put it back to the previous firmware my box was running.

New Visitor
mzinner10302

My box was rebooting all the time as well and now it won't turn on at all.  I think it died.

Contributor
voyager9

cdengler wrote:

Mine is still not working! Called in the last three days with no resolution! My box is not over heating, I found out how to check that since it is recorded by the box what the temp is and if it has over heated. It is no way the remote, I took the batteries out and it had no effect. I power cycled many times. They supposedly re-set it at least twice now. So, Comcast, what are you going to do to make my TV watchable again? Are you going to credit my bill since I cannot watch not even one show or movie without at least 4 interuption an hour. If I change channels it happens even faster. I want this fixed! No more excuses. Fix your firmware upgrade or put it back to the previous firmware my box was running.

I had this happen two weeks ago.  The box would reboot every 10 minutes.  Sometimes it would not come back on its own and I'd have to cycle power.  Eventually I called Comcast  and was they "Forced a reset".. after it continued to reboot I was told the box was going bad and should take it to get a replacement.  At the same time the box came back and hasn't been a problem since.  Perhaps the key is to scare it a little?

I don't think the remote control is the issue.. "turning off" via the remote and "rebooting/resetting" are two completely different things.  If  your box is actually rebooting then the remote behavior is probably a red herring.

New Visitor
seanzeno

I am having the exact same issue.  Support is no help at all!

New Visitor
LeaAnnei

Mine is doing the same thing.  Have already taken one box back and the tech cant get out here until Monday afternoon.  Its freaking wednesday.  I have called three different times and tried to get a supervisor on the phone but no one wants to hear me complain about the box. uggghhh!!!!!

New Visitor
cctx

I'm having this problem as well.  Started after a short power outage on Thursday morning.  Got a replacement the same day and now it is happening with the replacement.  If two different boxes are having the same problem - could it has something to do with the signal?

BTW - this will be our 4th box in 9 months.  Unbelievably unacceptable.  Not to mention the customer service has been horrid and the technicians have either not shown up or left before checking thingst that they've needed to, causing us to have to call back in the past.

Comcast says they don't have new cable boxes available in our area, because they haven't updated our lines - SO -we keep getting refurbished boxes and don't last for more than a month or two.

C'mon Comcast, what are you doing with all that money we are spending with you?

Bronze Star Contributor

I just went down to the comcast office and got a "new" box yesterday. After using it for about 7 hours, it reboot, erasing all guide information and favorite channels. I think it might be an overheating issue. It is a very small box and gets pretty hot. And comcast, being the dummies that they are, chose to place three large stickers over the venting area on the bottom of the machine, and the stickers say if they are removed it is considered tampering with the box. Idiots!

New Visitor
AzG20P11

This seems to be a common problem w/ the DCT3412, which I experienced personaly.

I replaced it with a DCH3416, and have not had a problem since.

Dont ask Comcast about this problem, it will cause a headache.  Simply tell them you need the Motorolla DCH3416.

Recognized Contributor

ASF1111 wrote:

I just went down to the comcast office and got a "new" box yesterday. After using it for about 7 hours, it reboot, erasing all guide information and favorite channels. I think it might be an overheating issue. It is a very small box and gets pretty hot. And comcast, being the dummies that they are, chose to place three large stickers over the venting area on the bottom of the machine, and the stickers say if they are removed it is considered tampering with the box. Idiots!

Is your box a Motorola DCT-700?  It is a rather small box, and the box itself does get rather warm (I would move those stickers to another spot on the box), the big heavy power supply unit (the "wall wart") can become overheated if you overlook the step of turning the DCT-700 completely off when not in use.

New Visitor
Guidobassman

The problem is voltage on the Cable line which shouldn't be there. For me it was because of a bad "neutral ground".  On my house it's the ground wire that comes to the top of my house from the electrical pole. An aluminum connector that holds the ground to where it connects to the house was corroded. The electric company saw the problem, put on a new connector and I was good to go. Another sign that is was bad that I didn't know about was when the washing machine downstairs went to the next cycle and lights upstairs dimmed a little bit.  Or when my sump pump went on and lights dimmed a little bit. That shouldn't happen.

Official Employee
ComcastTeds