Contributor

Cable Box Resetting ?

For the past few months, every few days at 3 o'clock in the morning, my cable box will reset. When it does this, I loose my guide and all the programs that I have the box set to change the channel so that my vcr can record them. Any ideas of why the box has started doing this ?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Cable Box Resetting ?

Call 1-800-COMCAST.  You may need to replace the cable box.

Contributor

It's not just my box. Each and every box in the house resets at exactly 3:00 a.m. It has to be that Comcast is doing something.

New Visitor
Ufufu

Both of my boxes have been doing the same thing for a few months now too.  It's very frustrating because some of programs we set the alarm for are related to our children's' education.  We have the large Motorola unit (displays/channel) which only shows upcoming program info for maybe 3 hours if we're lucky.  The smaller unit (displays a small yellow light) will show anywhere from 24 hours to 3 days now.  But you won't be able to get program info on either box.  The guide always shows "To Be Announced".  I'm so disappointed with Comcast's digital service.

Contributor
James_K

[ Edited ]

Yes. This has been happening to me as well. It seems that they reserve such times for sending out their updates. But there have been TONS of resets as of late here in central NJ at all hours of the day. The box just turns off out of nowhere, goes through its 'updating' process, and leaves service/functionality limited with no DVR and a 'To Be Announced' channel guide for hours and hours. It's ridiculous that it takes so long for the channel guide to populate.

In fact, I think all this resetting damaged my box and caused me a major problem. My box froze or hung and had to be powered off like a computer blue screen. When it came back on everything came to work BUT all my DVR service/functions. I couldn't get into my DVR recordings or other DVR areas on my box; a DVR service unavailable message would come up when I tried going to such areas. What's weird is if I tried going into 'DVR Setup' the box would immediately shut off and I would have to go through the 'update' process all over again. Also, it's like my DVR box turned into a non-DVR box because shows didn't have a red dot to set a recording anymore, it turned into an '(R)' to record to VCR!

I unplugged the power cord, waited minutes, and plugged back up to no success. Everything would came back to work BUT my DVR service. I had to make a call to Comcast and they sent a reset signal. Well guess what, my DVR service now works again BUT I lost EVERYTHING! My DVR was reset and wiped clean; I lost all of my saved recordings and all of my series priorities. I didn't lose any of my saved searches or custom favorites lists though, just everything having to do with DVR service... I started setting up recordings and series again and the box reset even more times! Again everything was wiped clean!

I'm thinking the hard drive possibly failed but if so how it is working now and storing recordings... I'm going to try and get the latest DVR box though anyway now. Just so frustrating...!

Contributor

It's still going on. It just happened in the middle of a movie I was watching. I had to wait 30 minutes for the guide to come back up so that I could get back into the saved movies....which weren't saved. I had to futz through the list of movies to find what I was watching then spend 10 minutes or so to get back to the point where the box shut off. This is getting really annoying. If Comcast wasn't the only cable company in my area, I'd leave right this second.

Contributor
KMBO

Comcast has maintenance around 1-6 AM. They try to minimize the work so it would not effect during the day. But if it's not maintenance, then it's possible your box.

New Visitor
Lesli38

I had to take mine back.  It was doing the same exact thing.

New Visitor
Colby2

Not only was the box bad, but the original ground installation was improperly connected. I had some huge issues. However, I give Comcast credit, when I pointed out the problems they repsonded and fixed everything. 

Contributor

This just happened again and it's really starting to tick me off. I'm in the middle of watching a movie and the box resets. If it was just that, it wouldn't be so bad. But when the box resets, it wipe out everything that I have set to record. I have the box set up to change the channel at specific times so that my VCR can record certain shows. But when the box resets, I have to wait often an entire day for the menu to come back on so that I can reset the programming. I really hope that Comcast can come up with a way of updating their menus and programming without resetting the entire box. Either that, or I will have to resort to disconnecting the cable from the box at 3 every morning. There is no possible way that they have to update twice a week. What could they possibly be updating ?

Contributor

The box is fine. It's just that they're updating at least twice a week, when there is no need to.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you have the box set to record specific things at different times so the vcr can record it?  You must have a scientific atlanta box, there is your issue.  They are probably trying to push the "new software" to you.  Also a bit of bad news.  If that is indeed the case your not going to be able to do that with a vcr anymore as the new software does not have a record by time function anymore and no record to vcr option.

Regular Problem Solver

rog286713 wrote:

you have the box set to record specific things at different times so the vcr can record it?  You must have a scientific atlanta box, there is your issue.  They are probably trying to push the "new software" to you.  Also a bit of bad news.  If that is indeed the case your not going to be able to do that with a vcr anymore as the new software does not have a record by time function anymore and no record to vcr option.

You can use a vcr with the new SA guide to record shows, but you can't as easily copy shows from the SA dvr to a VCR. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

isnt the record to vcr feature gone in the new guide? also the record this show at this specific time is also gone.  So the vcr has to be left on channel 3 with the box so how are they suppose to record, just press record and have the vcr keep running?

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Going from memory on this for the new guide on my SA box but the Record to VCR function is in the mini menu/guide at the bottom of the screen when in the Guide. One of the icons at least.

Again I could be wrong because I have not tried using that function yet.

Regular Problem Solver

rog286713 wrote:

isnt the record to vcr feature gone in the new guide? also the record this show at this specific time is also gone.  So the vcr has to be left on channel 3 with the box so how are they suppose to record, just press record and have the vcr keep running?

For a non-DVR set top, see the link

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=9a0014bb-bdad-41db-bc46-d47b0392feff

First set your Digital Cable Box:

• Select the program you want to record from the TV listings in the on-screen channel guide 
  • Press OK/Select and you will see the Program Information screen with the Quick Menu
  • Select the Record icon from the Quick Menu
  • Select Record Future Program
  • Once the cable box is set, a message displays reminding you to set up the VCR

Then set your VCR:

• Turn on the VCR and tune it to channel 3 or 4 (depending on the manufacturer's instructions)
  • Program the VCR to record channel 3 or 4 for the time the program you wish to record is airing
  • When the program starts, the cable box will automatically tune to the program so your VCR can record it

the copy to VCR feature is on dvrs to offload dvr content to a vcr. that is not there anymore and is differnet than setting a vcr recording on a non dvr box...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/meetyourguide/

I no longer see an option to copy a program I recorded on my DVR to a VCR. Is there another way to do this?

Yes, you can still copy programs recorded on your DVR to a VCR or DVD recorder using the audio and video outputs on the set-top box. Connect the audio/video cables from the set-top box to the audio and video inputs of the VCR or DVD recorder. Then to copy a DVR recording, just push RECORD on the VCR or DVD recorder while the DVR recording is playing. The copy occurs in real time which means a one hour program will take one hour to transfer over. The TV set and set-top box cannot be used while the transfer is taking place so you may want to copy programs overnight.

Contributor

I don't have a scientific atlanta box. It's Motorola. It just happened again litteraly seconds ago. I'm starting to get really mad. I know that it's Comcast updating something but the thing is, when I look, I don't see anything different. Now, I have to wait hours for the menu to fully come back up so that I can set the box to turn the channel to a specific channel at a specific time.

Contributor

This is still happening and I'm really ticked off. I've contacted Comcast multiple times and they just don't care. When the box resets, I lose all of the programs that I've set the box to change the channel to at certain times so that my VCR can record them. It will takes hours to, sometimes, a day for the menu to fully return so that I can reprogram my shows. This happens at least once a week. There is no possible way that they need to reset the box that much. I've looked after this has happened and nothing with the boxes have changed. So, what do they keep updating ? If my area had another company for me to get cable from, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

I suggest replacing the DVR at your local Comcast office.  Multiple resets and issues you are seeing is not normal, and most likely the DVR.  Take the remote with.

Comcast is not sending out resets or software updates that often.  Your box is not accepting the waiting update and keeps trying each night, so that suggests the box is the problem.