Visitor

Cable Box turns off and back on by itself.

The past week my cable box has started to turn itself off. It will then turn itself back on after a few minutes, but it wipes out the guide and kicks you out of your movie/show if your on demand. It has done it multiple times in an evening. Do I need a new box?

Thanks!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Cable Box turns off and back on by itself.

A definite possibility.  Do you see any messages?  Could it be a dropout of the power?  You can swap for another box, but it would be good to rule out a power problem.

Visitor

No, we don't get any messages when it does this. Funny you ask about a power problem as I thought it seemed to go out everytime our AC kicked on but when my husband purposly forced the air on and off as a test it didn't do it.

How do we go about swaping out the box?

Thank you!

Email Expert
CCCarole

You can exchange it at your local Comcast office.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Visitor
kalenkats

We are having the same experience, but now it is turning off and on the TV too. Can it still be the cable box?

New Visitor
MystGirl

Mine began doing this the other day - on Friday. I tried the typical reboots, called tech support, kept it unplugged for hours and then swapped it with another working box. SAME THING began happening with the new box. I changed where I plugged them in, even changed their power cords and same thing ... in fact, I tried it with 2 ...that's TWO boxes that work normally everywhere else.

I can't lose the movies I have stored in this DVR - some are very rare and not available - except for one I found at Amazon - $150 for the DVD  

So, now what??? Comcast is coming out tomorrow ... PLUS, my husband is steaming at what one of the contracted people did and is ready to drop this service. With 7 or is it 9 DVR's and the FULL lineup, this (and something else where one of the contracted or did they work for Comcast on another issue) should not be happening.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if your connected hdmi, try switching to component cables, that has been known to work. 

New Visitor
MystGirl

Funny you should mention the TV too!!! It was doing that to mine ALSO!! It finally stopped with the TV, but the box is still turning on and off... it went from keeping a picture at one point for 1 minute to merely seconds. 

This can't be something on my end, now that I see others posting with the same issue. 

New Visitor
MystGirl

No, am not connected HDMI ... this is an older large flatscreen ... although the HD channels are much crisper and some actually have a 3D illusion (I do know that some movies are out in 3D, but the one I watched was just on the HD premium channel)

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

it has been reported that some cisco and SA boxes have incompatability issues with newer tv's and newer versions of the hdmi software. So if you change to component cables and the problem goes away there is your answer.  Also see if your hardware {tv} has a software update that can fix your issue also.

New Visitor
MystGirl

The box that suddenly began having this issue is a Scientific Atlanta, but swapping in the Cisco did the same thing. The TV is about 13 or so yrs old - a 43 inch Toshiba Cinema Series. Up until now there have been no issues - and as for software update, this particular set precedes any with the capability. The other sets around the house are newer - Plasma, LCD, and a few other in the Sony flat screen era - funny to think that a 32" or 36" set bought in the early to mid-90's was 2K and now there are GREAT LCD's in the larger format if you know how to shop, can pick up for half of a Best Buy and beat Wal*Mart. But again ... not to make it a political issue, who's buying right now? 

New Visitor
MystGirl

btw.... rog - Thank you so very much for your input. It's VERY appreciated. I'm hoping the Comcast tech coming out tomorrow can pinpoint the problem. Usually I'm the tech support, but this one has me. I can only take so much of Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Xfinity on a larger MacBook Pro screen ... or the array of DVD's. Some news channels have live streaming, but again - huge difference on a computer screen, iPad, or one of the larger Android phones - even with the cute "kickstand" for stability. 

I do have to give today's Comcast tech support associate kudos for his attempts to help. I know it's a tough job and usually most calling are unhappy and frustrated people. One thing though - having worked in the tech field, the Comcast phone number and the superfluous menu is ridiculous. By the time you get to the actual tech, you've heard every conceivable issue you may be experiencing. 

....as a side note, it's been a few yrs since Comcast took over Adelphia (and I do THANK THEM because the fear was it would be Time Warner which...well...we'll leave it at that), they immediately took away the West Coast feed. It was always nice to have because if you missed an episode, or simply wanted to watch something AGAIN, you knew you could catch it 3 hrs later. 

The day is coming where the Cable companies will face stiff competition with other providers - instant streaming of live events and live shows, of course there's also the "Cloud" ... but that could be vulnerable to stormy weather aka security problems. Many news outlets already have some live streaming, some have full streaming, and with techno leaps, the networks will jump on board as will the Premium Networks. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you're welcome.  Do me a favor and post what if any solution comes of this as it will help others.

thanks

New Visitor
MystGirl

rog, will do. The Comcast tech is coming after lunch - hopefully later than earlier now that I see the time.

New Visitor
carmenriv

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am experiencing the exact same thing. 

Contributor
AnthonyJohns6

I've got a DCX 3501M box that is doing the same thing.  It dies up to 13 times in an hour some days.  I cannot stand watching TV anymore...

New Visitor
bkpfeif

I was having the same problems last week. It went off all by itself, then we got it to come back on a few times, but then nothing.  I went twice to Comcast to get different boxes to try and nothing, no lights, no power on the boxes??  Anybody have any input??  Thanks!! This is the only cable box I have in the house, I have 3 adapters and a cablecard in a tivo box, my cable on those tv's has been fine!  HELP :smileysad:

New Visitor
mjranieri66

i had the same problem it is th a bad box and could also be the signal coming in and a ba splitter as well u need a tech to check the signals but a majority of the time it is the box ask for a new box unopened

New Visitor
bkpfeif

I do have an appt. scheduled for this afternoon, just an inconvenience. It's just funny that when you talk to the customer service on the phone and at the Comcast locations, nobody can offer any suggestions?? Meanwhile, it's been a week without cable on our familyroom tv (but still paying for it) .. oh well. I will let you know what the tech says. Hopefully he will want to be helpful! Thanks for your suggestions!!

New Visitor
FrauHeather

I have been having the exact same problem. I had a partial power outage last week & ever since then at least 2 or 3 times a day, at the exact moment my air conditioning kicks on, my cable box will shut down then turn back on by itself. Of course I lose all programming in the guide so I have to wait for it to load back up. It doesn't happen every time though, so I'm trying to figure out if it's electrical or a cable box problem. I have already tried switching outlets but that didn't help. Has anyone found the solution?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Swap the DVR at your local Comcast office.  The power supply is most likely failing.

New Visitor
FrauHeather

Thank you for your suggestion. I will give it a try. Here's hoping it works.

New Visitor
rlouie

I'm having the same issues but our box is getting real hot so the CSR said that means it is slowly going out and to take it to a Comcast service center and swap it our for a new one. If yours is getting hot it is probably dying.........