New Visitor
WABG
Accepted Solution

Cable TV BLACK BLANK on screen

Hello I have been having problems with my TV since installing the Xfinity kit.

The main problem is a larg rectangular BLACK BLANK covering the picture for about Two thirds of the screen.

This appears when the channel is changed and when it appears that's it, it stays. Can you resolve this prpblem please.

WABG

New Visitor
WABG

Re: Cable TV BLACK BLANK on screen

I am having problems with a rectangular BLACK Blank covering two thirds of my TV screen  when a channel is changed.

Official Employee
ComcastNick

It sounds like a closed captioning problem.

Try going into your TV menu and turning off the closed captioning option.

If you have a HD cable box, then you can also try turning off any closed captioning on the box too.

Turn the cable box off, and leave the TV on.  Then press the Menu button on your remote control, it should bring up the HD User Settings menu.  You will be able to disable closed captioning there.

One of those two should fix it for you.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If it is closed captioned through your tv, I do agree that is what you could be seeing.

Most tv's have 2 closed caption settings. On mine they are Caption which has the words at the bottom of the screen.

The other setting is Text, which has only a big blank black box on the screen.

I don't know if these settings are standard on all tv's. Yours may say something different.

Do as Nick suggests and try the tv CC settings first.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
WABG

My new and control does not have a MENU option and my old one (prior to Xfinity kit install) does not appear to have a close caption facility. really I am out of my depth on this.

WABG

Official Employee
ComcastNick

If your box isnt HD, then it has to be a setting on your TV.

What brand of TV do you have?

Have you checked those forums?

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
New Visitor

Closed Captioning was the problem. Thanks for your help. I love the internet and forums like this. Problem solved.
Visitor
wa3gin

The problem is back in May 2014.... Very irritating!!! Doesn't anyone at Comcast watch their own transmissions?
Official Employee
ComcastTeds

wa3gin wrote:
The problem is back in May 2014.... Very irritating!!! Doesn't anyone at Comcast watch their own transmissions?

Apologies, as per the solution above, this is a local closed captioning issue to your TV set or cable box. The marked solution should help you.  

Visitor
wa3gin

So, please explain how CLOSED CAPTION setting was changed.  There has been no adjustments made on our box???

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

[ Edited ]

wa3gin wrote:

So, please explain how CLOSED CAPTION setting was changed.  There has been no adjustments made on our box???

Try going into your TV set menu and turning off the closed captioning option. You will need your TV set manual and-or your TV remote control and locate the CC instructions. Buttons on your TV remote control may have been pressed accidentally.  

If you have a HD cable box, then you can also try turning off any closed captioning on the box too

Turn the cable box off, and leave the TV on.  Then press the Menu button on your remote control, it should bring up the HD User Settings menu.  You will be able to disable closed captioning there.

One of those two should fix it for you.

Visitor
wa3gin

NOPE... this issue has nothing to do with CLOSED CAPTIONS.  I powered down the COMCAST BOX and allowed the powersupply to fully discharge. Then powered it back up.  The problem cleared. OMG!

Official Employee
ComcastTeds

wa3gin wrote:

NOPE... this issue has nothing to do with CLOSED CAPTIONS.  I powered down the COMCAST BOX and allowed the powersupply to fully discharge. Then powered it back up.  The problem cleared. OMG!

Glad to hear.