New Visitor
JSeel
Accepted Solution

Cable TV Signal Booster

This is a technical question about needing/using a cable TV signal booster for weak signal.

I installed three DTAs. Two are OK. Third TV on-screen INFO indicates weak signal and no channel reception below channel 30. Third TV cable is split off second TV signal.

I request technical advice: Do you think I should add a cable TV signal booster for the third TV signal?

What else can I do to strengthen the weak signal?

Thanks.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Cable TV Signal Booster

A booster could help.  Put it as close to the incoming cable as possible.  If that doesn't fix it, you may need to call Comcast to have a tech come out to check for problems external to your home.

New Visitor
JSeel

Thank you for your quick and useful response.

Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it may help.  I put a Radio Shack bi directional cable signal amplifier (cost $35) before the splitters that sent cabling all over the house.  You need to put the splitter close to where you can plug it into an electrical outlet.  The last line had a weak signal and wouldn't bring in strong enough signal on dta box.

The amplifier works perfectly...all channels now coming in on all sets in house just great.

Comcast guy simply told me the wiring was bad, but that maybe I could try a signal boost....he didn't offer to try it, just was pretty passive aggressive about the whole transaction. 

Took about 5 minutes to install.  I'm a 73 year old lady who's tech savy and I did it!!!!

New Visitor
jbaylis

Wouldn't it be nice if Comcast would just level with us?  It took a lowly radio shack dude to explain, one day we were all using 0-400 mhz, splitters and amplifiers.  The next day Comcast changed everything to 900 and above, change your equipment to the right frequency and voila.  it is not rocket science if they would level with us, 1.5 years later, hundreds of hours of wasted time chasing wires, chasing connections.  Please someone figure out a way to deliver so we can cut this umbilical cord called a cable.  I hate to stomp on the cable that feeds our addiction, to violence, news and CSI but come on guys, just level with us.

Thank you for the forum to vent.  You have a nice day, I will now.