New Visitor
virtualawrence
Accepted Solution

Cable box changing channel on its own

I have a Sharp AQUOS hooked up to an RNG110 tuner. Often when I turn on the TV, I find that my channel was set to either Discovery Channel or some Latino channel even if I was watching something else before. What causes this and how can I make this stop?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Cable box changing channel on its own

[ Edited ]

It can be caused by IR interference from CFL lamps in the room, or the dynamic backlight on the TV.

You can try changing the angle of the RNG110 box, move it around to a different position by the TV, turn the box vertically, or place a cardboard shield on the box to block it from picking up IR interference.

Some go into the TV's menu and turn off or adjust the dynamic picture control.

Also confirm the RNG110 has a 5 volt power adapter and not a 12 volt one.

New Visitor
virtualawrence

I'll try that, but it's strange that it's only one of two channels that get switched to. I should point out that I'm not running CFL's anywhere and the channel only changes on its own when the TV is off. I has never happened to me while I was watching.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

how do you have the box connected to the tv?  if its hdmi try switching to component and see if it still does it

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

That is ridiculous!  Why should a paying customer have to dowgrade his picture quality, yes, component is a downgrade, to get something in he is paying for?  And what is all this bs jumping through hoops about his power supply, lights, putting cardboard over it, etc, etc?  Comcast's junk or settings is doing this and they should get their you know what over there and fix it for him!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

your not downgrading your picture quality, comcast only broadcasts in 1080i, you will not see a difference between hdmi and component,   the issue is isolating the problem area if works component you know the problem is the hdmi cable or the port.   We are troubleshooting here and adding constructive advice unlike you. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

rog286713 wrote:

your not downgrading your picture quality, comcast only broadcasts in 1080i,

That is not a true statement, Comcast passes through what the broadcaster sends out, many networks are 720P, not everything is 1080I.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

valid point, what I was trying to say is the max resolution you will get is 1080i.

Regular Contributor

I am only adding correct advice, not like you, where there was no mention of troubleshooting at all in the first place.  Why should a paying customer even have to go through that in the first place? 

Regular Contributor

Also, the signal rebroadcast locally is so bad that you are lucky to even get 720 sometimes.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

why. to try to isolate the issue.  If their service works with component cables and not hdmi then there is an issue with the hdmi cable or the hdmi port or an incompatibilty with different versions of the hdmi software. 

We are all here to try to help each other and though you may think that component cables are inferior it is an exercise in fault isolation that we are after not trying to screw anyone. 

also do you or anyone else want to pay 50.00 for a tech to come to your house.

New Visitor
virtualawrence

I figured it out. My AQUOS remote sends some signal that interferes with the cable box when pressing "Power". I now exclusively use my Comcast remote in order to avoid this issue. Funny how that works.