Contributor
netenemy

Cable box not responding to remote inputs

Here is my problem in a nut-shell: Cable box not responding to remote inputs as quickly and efficiently as it was less than 24-hours ago.

I used to be able to press the guide button and have it pop up the tv guide interface right away, then use the page up and down buttons to scroll quickly in either direction seemingly as soon as I pressed the button on the remote. Not anymore, something over the last 24-hours has changed.

I try to type in a station, only the first digit of three is noticed and it took me five times pressing that first number before my cable box responded that it had received an input. This example is similar when attempting to use other features.

An interesting anomaly is that when pressing a button over and over again to get it respond, say the info button or guide button, the cable box reacts as if I pressed the "2" button. Weird huh, pressing a button that IS NOT the 2 button over and over again and the box shows channel two on my tv and then goes to that station.

I have reset my box. Powered it off and powered it on. Powered it off, unplugged it for a few hours, plugged it back in and powered it back on and problem persists.

IT'S NOT THE REMOTE: The peripherals that are also programmed into the same Comcast provided remote work flawlessly. I can flow through their menus and interfaces using the same remote without a problem. But, as soon as I switch over to cable service it's back to sketchy service. When I press the channel up button it might go up one station, but it probably will not, I'll have to press it four or five times to get it to respond.

Xfinity support has offered no solution to this problem. As I am paying for the quick and efficient cable interaction I have been getting for the last few years it is unacceptable that all of a sudden channel surfing has become and exercise in frustration. I think I should just turn the TV off. In the meantime, perhaps someone here can help.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Cable box not responding to remote inputs

please post the model of your box and the color of the remote and the color of the ok button.  Normally unplugging the box fixes this, and you need only unplug for two minutes to have it work.  if you close to the box with the remote does it still do it, do you have any light pointed at the box or one of those backlit tv's

Contributor
netenemy

Model: Motorola DCX3200
Remote/OK button Color: Silver/Red

Previous to posting my comment to the forum I attempted the usual troubleshooting steps:

Reset the box by powering down, unplugging the box for longer than five minutes, plugging it back in and then powering on. This resolved nothing.

Change batteries on remote.

Reprogram Remote

Proximity of remote to box makes no difference; one inch away, three feet away, up down left right, same slow sluggish response if any at all.
None of the above has made a difference.

But as mentioned in the original post it is interesting that the remote controls the menus and whatnot of other peripherals programmed to that silver remote just as usual, quick and speedy. No sluggish response when controlling the TV volume, input source, info, etc. It is just the cable that reacts so slow. Because of this I am confident it is more than a remote issue.

Worth noting, before going to bed last night I turned off the cable box, I usually leave it on. When I first turned it on the next morning it worked flawlessly…for about 60 seconds. The menu popped up, went away when I clicked it to, the guide moved up and down like it always had in the past but, about 60 seconds later the sluggish response continued. I am back to pressing the menu button seven times before the button appears. I can press the menu button, wait 10 seconds and it doesn't appear, I have to continually press a button over and over to get it to respond and it is because of this it is unacceptable. I hope someone here can provide some valuable insight. Thank you.

Contributor
netenemy

To address the light source question; no, no lights pointed at the box, nothing has changed about the environment that the cable box lives in.

The only thing that changed was a power outage over the weekend. However, once power was restored the box worked just great as it always does, it was almost 72-hours after the outage that the sluggish experience started. The power on the box is protected by a surge protector as well.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you do not have the actual cable wire going through the surge protector also do you???

New Visitor
MNJ2012

[ Edited ]

I, too, am having the same problem as the original poster.  I have done all of the trouble shooting items, have tried 2 different remotes (both which work on the TV but the box eventually fails to respond).  I noticed a trend when I first got my box last month - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and now I don't even have a good day with the remote and the box.  I have to reprogram the remote everytime.  It would be really nice if someone could let us know if all motorola boxes are bad, as I really don't want to have to go back and exchange the box, especially if it is likely that I may have to try a million boxes.  Thanks in advance for any help on the issue.

My motorola box is: 

MOTOROLA DCH3200

Contributor
netenemy

[ Edited ]

The cables are set up just as the day the cable guy installed the box and cable modem. Through the wall to the spliter, one to the cable and the other to the modem. No coax surge protection.

It is now almost impossible to use my cable service. The box and my remote are not communicating properly, again, the remote works fine for my tv and whatnot but not the cable box. My cable box has been stuck on the same channel for a while now, I can't seem to coax it to change the channel let alone tell me the name of the program I am watching.

I just recently downgraded my service, perhaps this is my hint to go one step more and cut the cable.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Here is a last thing to try, then I would go get a new remote at a a local office.  Follow this link and reset your remote back to its factory default, obviously you will have to program your tv in again.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Resets

Contributor
netenemy

Rog,

I tried a factory reset on the remote last night to no avail. However, I beleive I have stumbled onto why this is happening and a solution(s) to solve it.

I pulled the box out of the area that it has always been in to locate the Host S/N. For the heck of it, while it was lying on it's front I tried the remote..it worked. It worked just like it always had. I slid the box back in and it didn't work. I pulled the box out, laid it on it's face and tried while pointing towards the vents in the cable box, IT WORKS...flawlessly, just as it always has. The device responds to the remote no longer from the front but from the vents.

The IR sensor is either failing or obstructed. I keep the box dusted but do not open it to do so. Perhaps someone has insight in this area. My workaround on the moment is to leave the box out, kind of tilted until comcast can provide me with an external infared receiver.

I'll keep you updated of any changes. Other poster, I'm curious is this workaround will aid you. I suggest you investigate based on my findings.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

what do you mean leave it out?   what is it in?

Contributor
netenemy

I have an entertainment center. There are four large cubbies and then the TV on top. Each cubby is about two feet deep, foot and a half wide and about 9 inches tall. I could fit probably 3 & 1/2 of my cable box in the cubby. Just it and an Apple Tv reside in that cubby, not touching, inches away from each other.

I need to stress that the environment that this box is in has not changed in any way since before or during the onset of the problem outlined in these posts. The box has not moved since day one, almost two years ago.

I am left believing that either the IR receiver on the box is failing or it's front facing abilities are obstructed.

New Visitor
RTillis

I, too, have the exact same problem!  I have tried every stinking solution that is the "typical" when calling Comcast and nothing has worked!  I have changed NOTHING in my environment..... it simply has changed on its own and is obviously something within the Comcast network, not us users, since it is happening with more than one person and is the exact same problem!  I even drove 45 minutes today to the "nearest" Comcast service center to exchange the remote control.  Got home and it does the exact same thing!  Trust me, it is not "user or equiptment" issue, but an issue with Comcast and it better get fixed quickly, as Direct TV is running a great special and I've been leaning towards a dish for awhile!  That means no more Xfinity/Comcast internet, phone service or TV!  I'm tired of the customer service reps acting like I don't know what I'm talking about!  I actually know quite a bit about this topic and know for a fact that it is Comcast that is having the problem!  So, PLEASE fix it so we can enjoy the comfortable service we are PAYING FOR!  Whew, sorry for the "soap box" reply, but it is frustrating and starting to really upset me!

New Visitor
Dilly22

unplugging a motorola box will not do much, you may need to have it initialized by a comcast rep, that should clear out the paging file from the box and let it respond to the remote more quickly.  Next time it happens call comcast and request that the box be initialized.

New Visitor
mcollinsjr

i am having the  same problem  today...my tv worked   fine yesterday...today i can't even change the channel

New Visitor
wildflour420

i can't change my channels or access any menus on xfinity boxes, either one!

Contributor
netenemy

Problems still persist for me, the original post author. 

The resolution was not as simple as picking up a IR Extender from my local Xfinity store. After discovering the IR issues on my box the Xfinity tech I spoke to advised me all I needed to do was pick up an IR extender at no charge from an Xfinity store. Well, I show up and am told the IR cables they give out do not support the box I am having issues with. Gee, thanks Comcast!

So, I have to drive back the next day with my box with the defective IR receiver. I am given a new box and am told just plug it in at home and I'll be good to go. Not so, I was on the phone for about an hour trying to get someone to activate my service. I thought I was done after that. Nope, not so, Gee, thanks Comcast!

Now I do NOT receive channels that I did before I swapped out my box. I cannot get any on-demand programs to playback. I get the message, In order to start services for this device call cable provider. That's hilarious because I do call and not a soul at Xfininity has a clue as to what's wrong. They can not explain why the activiation seemingly failed. They're confident it's clearly the brand new box or the cable wiring. I love the excuses I'm given by obviously incompetent tech staff. I understand they're trying to help but they truly have access to no more troubleshooting than I myself have employeed since last Tuesday. My experience has lead me to beleive that Comcast does not provide their employees the tools necessary to help a customer with a unique issue. Yes, resetting an electronic device is always the best place to start but, after dozens of calls and a few visits it's gonna take more than a reset. I've done my legwork now I need Comcast to do so for me. It's not a box or wiring issue. Someone's not puncing the right number in somwhere or something like that, I truly believe it's that darn simple but the right hand of Comcast has no idea what the left is up to and my service has clearly fallen to the wayside. 

What's the point of tech support Comcast when it is I the customer who does 99% of the troublshooting? 

The sad fact of the matter is that about a month ago I called to cancel services and was convinced to stay with an offer of a new low rate--a rate which is different than what was actually billed recently--and here I am paying for services I am not receiving. Paying more than what I was quoted by the Customer Retention Department! 

Sure, I'm frustrated but there are no embelishments here. It's all true. I have received mediocre at best service. A friendly greeting can't make up for the lack of service and assistance I've been experiencing for almost one week. I've said it before, I'll say it again; this treatment is unacceptable, Comcast.

New Visitor
davesvn007

I experienced the same, exact problem.  "Just plug it in and you'll be good to go".  That's nonsense.  Also an hour on the phone, each time (because we do the usual dance..send a signal, wait 20 minutes (or 5 or 45 or 25 or 35, it depends on the rep... I suspect they just make up a number the corresponds to the end of their shift so they won't have to talk to you when the issue isn't resolved).  

My box was also sluggish periodically (when it worked...which it doesn't now, because it's new...apparently only the old equipment worked).  

They create this forum, and do nothing about the service issues we're experiencing.  Why am I on here?  Well I sure can't watch TV!

Comcast blows.

New Visitor
rmglasser

I'm glad to see these posts because it means I'm not the only one with this issue.  I noticed this issue starting yesterday afternoon which makes me wonder if Comcast did some type of programming change that has been rolled out at different times among users.  As the rest of you, I replaced the batteries in my remote (which weren't that old to begin with) just to see if it would help, and of course it did not.  I have no problem using the same remote with the TV but only the cable box.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for what we can do?  I will try calling Comcast tomorrow but it doesn't sound like that will help, and last time I called they charged me.

New Visitor
teamdsjd

I'm getting this in before the topic goes read-only... Check out:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Cable-box-not-responding-to-remote-sporadic/td-...

I turned off the smart day/night adjusting display on my Sony and the cable box start working. YMMV