New Visitor
mnthom19

Cable box wouldn't turn on

This probably won't apply to a lot of people but , just incase, I want to pass this along. 

A few days ago my cable box stopped working. I pressed the power button and nothing would happen. So I called Comcast and did the typical unplugging and waiting etc etc. When I first unplugged the cable box and then plugged it back in again it looked like it was starting to boot up only to stop and shut off and not respond to the power button. Absolutely nothing happened when the power button was pressed. Eventually I ended up getting a new cable box but the same thing was happening. Starts to boot and then shuts off and doesn't do anything after that. Long story short after scouring the internet (because I don't want to pay the technician to come out) I found a simple solution.

Unplug your TV (just the TV) for 30 seconds - plug it back in - press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

Cable box powered up like nothing ever happened. The "handshaking" processes must have gotten out of whack on my TV, although I didn't think it could affect the cable boxes so much. This also works for HDMI and other ports on the TV that aren't responding.

I hope this proves helpful to someone else.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Cable box wouldn't turn on

are you trying to say that your tv was stopping your cable box from power up?  If that was the case wouldnt you just take out the hdmi cable or component connection and then try to power up the cable box and see if it worked?  If it does then I guess you have a solution there for boxes that won't start up. 

New Visitor
hookemcowboy

I was having the same problem. Did you what you said, worked like a charm. Thanks bud...

New Visitor
mnthom19

Actually my cable box is just a standard one with no HDMI ports. For what I can tell yes the TV was preventing the cable box from powering up. It never occured to me to just start the cable box on its own for some reason( Which might have saved me a lot of hassle).I found out it was my TV after I had my computer plugged into the HDMI port on the TV and it suddenly stopped working so I tried it different port which worked for a bit and then that one quit also. The TV just needed a reset I guess. Strange.

New Visitor
Courtney2012

I am having the same issues.

I tried doing what you said and it didn't work.

I have a "no signal" on my tv screen and my "new" box now says 1080i & "4".

It does not load/boot like any other box I've had.

My cable works because I hooked it straight to my tv.

So the problem is the box.

I refuse to pay the service charge so please HELP!!!

Xfinity Cisco RNG200N and my tv is a Vizio SV320XVT

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

No signal messages many times indicates the input selector on the TV is not selected for the input coming from the cable  box.  As a example, if the cable box is connected to the TV's input 2 port, then you need to select input 2 on the TV's remote so the signal is connected to the active input on the TV.  The button on the TV's remote will vary by the brand of TV.

It can also be a error on how the TV is connected  to the cable box, or the cable box itself is bad.  

You are welcome to take the DVR to the local Comcast office for a swap as the next step.  Defective equipment will not create a service charge, but if the error is caused by the subscriber, you might incur a charge if a tech comes out and finds it's not the equipment.

New Visitor
mooremt12

Had the same issue. Box was black (power button did nothing, nothing on the LED display). Unplugged the box and it showed some life, then said -boot- and shut back down.

Did what the OP said (unplugged the HDMI cable) for about 30 seconds. Hit the power button (I didn't need to hold it for 10 seconds) and it fired right up. Plugged the HDMI cable to the TV back in and everything works. Thanks for the advice. Saved some hassle for sure.

Sharp LCD TV and Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC Cable Box

New Visitor
NunyaBizniz

Our cable box is super old, doesn't have a power button.  This seems to happen whenever we lose power to the house.  The first time, called, troubleshot, tech came, fixed.  He said to plug and unplug the box.  Second time, same thing, but decided to look up online and found this post, unplugged TV and did what you suggested and Wa-La.  Thank you!  Surprised phone support doesn't offer this tip.

New Visitor
conchgirl55

I've tried everything...the guy was here and charged me $30 to "fix" the remote and now it won't turn on.

I can't stand the hassle of another service call...not to mention the $$$ wasted.

I unplugged the TV, waited a good minute, plugged the TV back in, held the power button on the remote for a good 10 seconds, the lights on the cable box blinked and the TV came on and a message "Cisco initializing operating system" and then the light on the cable box started blinking and it went off

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Comcast says they will not charge for fixing their equipment. The remote is their equipment, complain and have the charge removed.

New Visitor
conchgirl55

Thanks for the advice.

I spoke with someone yesterday who said he would get the charge removed.

I printed out the programming directions and, when I came home, I reprogrammed the TV to turn on and everything worked fine...except I still have to use the TV remote to turn it off. i haven't tried it yet tonight.

New Visitor

Had the same problem. Tried all the usual soutions; nothing. Tried your suggestion, and it worked within a few seconds! Thank you!