New Visitor
Alecksi

Cable boxes won't boot

I called and set up an account with comcast today for the cable tv...i've had internet for sometime. When I got home I was super excited to plug in the boxes and follow the directions on the paper they gave me so I could start watching tv for the first time in a couple years. NEITHER ONE OF THE BOXES WILL BOOT! The one in the living room is a HD DVR and when you plug it in it does something like -nu- (only its not an n and a u just wavy lines) and then it says BOOT for about 45 seconds and then I hear a click and it turns off and no matter what I do I can't get it to turn on even after leaving it for HOURS plugged in/unplugged. The one in the bedroom does exactly the same thing only between the squiggles and the BOOT is a message that says HAL2...I have an appointment for the comcast people to come out on Friday but I would really really really really really like to watch tv now. Do you think two NEW boxes will help? If so I'll take them in and replace them tomorrow but I'm inclined to think its not the boxes as it is both of them and they're new as of today. Also I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support trying to send me all sorts of signals that resulting in NOTHING. If you hit the power button after it tries to boot up and its made that click noise and turned off NOTHING HAPPENS wether you hit it on the box or on the remote.Thanks for the help in advance! 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Cable boxes won't boot

[ Edited ]

Most HSI only subscribers have a trap on the drop from the pole to the house to prevent TV or limit TV channels for HSI plus limited basic subscribers.

What happens when someone adds digital TV to their pervious HSI service the boxes will not authenticate because this trap is preventing it.

Please call Comcast support, they need to send out a tech to remove that trap on the drop.

New Visitor
Alecksi

They told me on the phone that if it was due to wiring that they would charge me. Does this include that? and WHY THE HECK would they let me come pick up boxes knowing I wouldn't be able to use them? and why couldn't the lady on the phone tell me "sorry, your craps blocked so no use trying everything you could ever think of to fix it it'll never work"

New Visitor
asalligo

I am having the same issue. I had cable internet for years, Comcast sent me a box with a self install kit, but once attached to the line and plugged in, the box will not power.

Technician on the phone says come get another box at the local office, that one is bad.

The new box just displays the same behavior. It will display "boot" for a few seconds if unplugged and replugged, but then will not react to power on the remote or box. I assume I also have a trap on the line. They are sending a tech out next week. Shame that the technicians I spoke to have no clue what is going on. Also wondering how much Comcast is going to charge me for this.