Visitor
croeseler

Cable cards and/or wireless HD receivers

AT & T Uverse is now offering a wireless HD receiver and I was wondering if Comcast will be offering a similar service? There is no place near our television for a receiver so we have been forced to use the DTA to get digital cable but alas none of these channels are in HD. We have an A/B switch and can at least get our locals in HD. We have a 2010 model Samsung 6500 series LED HD tv. Does this tv accept cable cards? Would a cable card allow us to get HD channels such as ESPN, ESPN2 and HGTV in addition to the digital channels? If so, how would I procure a cable card from Comcast?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Cable cards and/or wireless HD receivers

I dont think that tv accepts a card, tv manufacturer's stopped putting the cable card slots into tv's a few years back as no one was using them.   Comcast as far as most people know has no plans for a wireless box.  You are wasting your tv having a dta on a flat panel tv.  Cant you build some sort of shelf or something to house a box?  The only way to use the cable card would be to use a tivo, but that defeats your purchase of not wanting a box.   Today on Comcast if you want HD you need a box weather its from comcast or Tivo.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If your in a Motorola area, many times a RNG110 HD box can be tie-wrapped to the back of a flat panel TV to be hidden.  The box has a IR receiver port on it, so the IR receiver can be stuck on the front of the TV to pick up the IR signals.

The IR receiver that can be used is the one that comes with the DTA kit, and they are available on online auction sites, but not from Comcast.

Visitor
croeseler

Thank you for your responses.

1. We can build  a shelf but it will ruin the cosmetic appearance of the room and it is not an option we are pursuing.

2. I will inquire with Motorola and see what can be done. We do have some room behind the television so perhaps that is something we can try.

Again, my thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It is very common to hang a box on the back of the flat panel these days.  The Pace RNG110 is not a Motorola box, but works on Comcast's Motorola systems.  It is equivelent to a DCX3200 Motorola HD box, but smaller.

Both these boxes have IR receiver inputs that can be used to hide the box.

Visitor
croeseler

Where can I purchase the RNG110? Can I get this from Comcast? What are the specs/dimensions of this box...is it the same size as the Cisco RNG200? I have searched on-line for the specs and have come up empty but need to know before moving forward. I have been very happy with Comcast but am considering leaving because of this situation. I would really love a wireless HD receiver like the one Uverse is offering. Another solution would be to stop encrypting HD signals and just charging the customer for HD service. Anyway, thanks for the response. Your answers on a number of topics have always been very helpful.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Sorry, the Pace RNG110 is for Motorola equipped area's. 

You say you have a Cisco RNG200 DVR, so you are in a Cisco / SA area.  The only option for a HD box is a Cisco RNG150.  The RNG150 has a IR port but do not know if it is enabled.  The dimensions are not available, but is certainly smaller than a DVR.

The Cisco RNG150 manual is HERE if that helps any.