New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Can you split and HDMI signal to 2 TV's?

Like the topic asks, can you?    I purchased an HDMI splitter from a store.   A short cable with HDMI on one end and 2 HDMI inputs in a little molded box on the other end of the cable.  It seems like a regular 75ohm splitter but it doesnt work.  (I have 2 and neither work)

I am simply trying to set up 2 TV's in the same room with an Xbox on both TV's as well.   I dont care that the same station would be on both TV's.   I have read about "repeaters"?    Not sure if it is a different type of splitter but I DO NOT want to add another cable box to the room.

Hope that is clear and someone can help!!!

Have a GREAT day!!!!!

New Visitor
benXdeath

Re: Can you split and HDMI signal to 2 TV's?

Yes, HDMI can be split to 2 TVs. HDMI is a very particular protocol and there are plenty of vendors selling HDMI accessories that are simply not manufactured well enough to work. I have never tried an HDMI splitter like the one you're describing, but I have tried a few lower-end HDMI splitters that  just refused to work, or work reliably.

What's most likely happening is that the splitter you're using is the simplest possible type of splitter: one that evenly duplicates (relatively) the signal on each conductor. The problem that arises is that the two TVs end up seeing one another through the cable box and inadvertently trying to sync with one another, which just creates a traffic jam that won't allow anything to work.

I, personally, have had consistently good results with Vanco's HDMI splitters, even when splitting odd signals to several odd devices. They also tend to be on the more affordable side, although probably more expensive than the splitter you previously purchased.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Splitting HDMI just creates all kinds of handshaking issues.

Try HDMI to one, component to the other.

New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Yes, I did spend a whole 7 bucks on the splitter.    Ya live n learn and then return!!

Something like this?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vanco-HDMI-Splitter/6296082/product.html

New Visitor
benXdeath

Absolutely.

I recently used the 1x4 version of that exact splitter after trying a cheap 1x4 splitter that I had gotten off of Amazon. The splitter from Amazon had all kinds of handshake issues and each of the three connected displays kept blinking out and losing connection. Once I installed the Vanco 1x4 in place of the cheap splitter, everything worked perfectly and immediately.

New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Kewl!!!!   Just found a Rocketfish RF-G1182.  Works great!!!   90 bucks at Bestbuy!  UNDER 20 on Ebay!!!! (2 of them for 34 bucks)

Thanks!!!