New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Can you split and HDMI signal to 2 TV's?

Like the topic asks, can you?    I purchased an HDMI splitter from a store.   A short cable with HDMI on one end and 2 HDMI inputs in a little molded box on the other end of the cable.  It seems like a regular 75ohm splitter but it doesnt work.  (I have 2 and neither work)

I am simply trying to set up 2 TV's in the same room with an Xbox on both TV's as well.   I dont care that the same station would be on both TV's.   I have read about "repeaters"?    Not sure if it is a different type of splitter but I DO NOT want to add another cable box to the room.

Hope that is clear and someone can help!!!

Have a GREAT day!!!!!

New Visitor
benXdeath

Re: Can you split and HDMI signal to 2 TV's?

Yes, HDMI can be split to 2 TVs. HDMI is a very particular protocol and there are plenty of vendors selling HDMI accessories that are simply not manufactured well enough to work. I have never tried an HDMI splitter like the one you're describing, but I have tried a few lower-end HDMI splitters that  just refused to work, or work reliably.

What's most likely happening is that the splitter you're using is the simplest possible type of splitter: one that evenly duplicates (relatively) the signal on each conductor. The problem that arises is that the two TVs end up seeing one another through the cable box and inadvertently trying to sync with one another, which just creates a traffic jam that won't allow anything to work.

I, personally, have had consistently good results with Vanco's HDMI splitters, even when splitting odd signals to several odd devices. They also tend to be on the more affordable side, although probably more expensive than the splitter you previously purchased.

Bronze Problem Solver
barbie123

Splitting HDMI just creates all kinds of handshaking issues.

Try HDMI to one, component to the other.

New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Yes, I did spend a whole 7 bucks on the splitter.    Ya live n learn and then return!!

Something like this?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Vanco-HDMI-Splitter/6296082/product.html

New Visitor
benXdeath

Absolutely.

I recently used the 1x4 version of that exact splitter after trying a cheap 1x4 splitter that I had gotten off of Amazon. The splitter from Amazon had all kinds of handshake issues and each of the three connected displays kept blinking out and losing connection. Once I installed the Vanco 1x4 in place of the cheap splitter, everything worked perfectly and immediately.

New Visitor
DaddySaysSo

Kewl!!!!   Just found a Rocketfish RF-G1182.  Works great!!!   90 bucks at Bestbuy!  UNDER 20 on Ebay!!!! (2 of them for 34 bucks)

Thanks!!!

New Visitor
kellyw111

Thanks for the tip on the Vanco 1x4.  I am trying to split the HDMI signal from the cable box to 2 televisions so that we can watch TV on our deck without having to unplug the TV inside.  Would be ideal to have both TV's going simultaneously.  Will the Vanco 1x4 work for this?

New Visitor
tallpall001

I have just found this rather old thread but it contains info that is of interest to me, splitting an HDMI source.  Have a Comcast box, new last fall, hooked to a 60" Vizio "smart tv" and the single connection works great.  Wanted to add a 46" Vizio a few feet over in the next room.  Watching the same channel on either or both would be fine.

Got a cheapo $10 powered splitter that was just really unacceptable so tossed that.  Then got J-Tech powered splitter for about $22 (twice the price....lol!) and it is better.  Only problem is *sometimes* when switching from one channel to another the 'signal lost' message appears and I either have to pull the power to the switch for five seconds, or power the reciever off and back on to restore service.  This can happen two or three times a day during hundreds of channel switches.

I may have to live with this if I can't find a better more capable splitter.

Wondering is anyone reading has had any long term success with a certain brand splitter using a comcast box?

I was interested in the one mentioned above (Rocketfish RF-G1182) but see the op seems to have bought it from ebay, tested it, declared it great all in the same day he started the thread and was asking about what to use, so would like to hear from longer term users.

New Visitor
tallpall001

[ Edited ]

Things move slowly on this thread.  I have just bought a Rocketfish RF-G1182 on ebay.  Say it takes five days to get here, then a week for me to test it.  My best guess for me to report the results will be around June 12 or so.  I paid $20.50 for the darn thing so we will see how it goes. Important to me is whether or not I keep the J-Teck splitter.  I have about two weeks to decide whether or not to return it.

New Visitor

I am very curious about your results because I have the exact situation in mind. I have one comcast box, and I am thinking about adding a TV #2 on the opposite side of the wall from TV #1.

Also, anyone have more info regarding using the HDMI outlet for TV #1 and the component video outlet for TV#2?    With Comcast?

New Visitor
tallpall001

The Rocketfish splitter solved my issue.  It does, at times, take a couple of seconds to 'sync up' but after a couple weeks of use if has not failed to provide a picture after switching channels.

I saw new ones on Amazon for 60+ bucks, but, as I said, I found this one on ebay for $20.50

New Visitor
RollingStone09

This just gives the same channel to both TV's and only the one with the remote at the cable box controls both, correct?  Is there anyway short of paying for another cable box to get different channels?

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

RollingStone09 wrote:

This just gives the same channel to both TV's and only the one with the remote at the cable box controls both, correct?  Is there anyway short of paying for another cable box to get different channels?

I think you've gotta pay your money to it...

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

RollingStone09 wrote:

Nope there is no way with the setup you have. 

New Visitor
RollingStone09

Is there a way to use the remote at another TV and send that signal to the Comcast box?

Bronze Problem Solver
Jim721

RollingStone09 wrote:

Is there a way to use the remote at another TV and send that signal to the Comcast box?

No you have one DTA and you are simply splitting that output to two tv's they will both show the same. If you want to be able to watch different programs on a different tv you will need another DTA or Set top box. 

Regular Visitor

Just bought an SIIG 1x2 HDMI Splitter for $90 to split signal from Xfinity X1 System to Xbox One and AVR.  Neither the receiver or the Xbox One could get a signal.  It is amplified and HDCP compliant.  Guy at MicroCenter said it would work but it's going back.  Scenario: Trying to split Comcast signal so wifey can watch regular TV through AVR or I can watch football while using NFL App through Xbox One.  Anyone had luck with this setup?