Visitor
Mag01001

Capacity of HD DVR

I have a Comacst HD DVR.  I have 91 hours of Standard Definition (SD) recordings 

My DVR indicates it is 87% full

The comcast website indicates HD DVRs can record up to 300 hrs of SD recordings

I "chatted" last night about this and the analyst (or someone) closed the session without resolving the issue.

Today I call 1 800 comcast and using my EXACT model of HD DVR (DCH3416R), the rep said the HD DVR had a 160 GB hard drive.  He concluded I should be able to record 192 hours of SD programs.   He had no solution for except that I buy a DVR expander (approximately $125).

Can anyone help?

Also, does anyone know how to send an email to Comcast Support? 

Contributor
scott-bobby

Re: Capacity of HD DVR

First let me say this.  A dvr is not meant for archiving shows.  YOu shouuld not have 91 hours of shows on your dvr unless you have been away from your home for an extended period of time.   

given that statement, the dvr capacity  is dependent on the model of dvr you have.   the newer ones have 500gb drives older ones have 120gb drives so it all depends on what box you have and if you are recording hd or sd shows.  yours is an old dvr I suggest you watch some of your shows and start deleting or get a new box with a bigger drive.

Visitor
Mag01001

By “Can anyone help?”, I mean can anyone explain why Comcast told me I am able to record 192 hrs of SD programs, but my DVR shows 87% full with 91 hrs of SD programs?

I also mean can anyone help with how I can get my DVR to record 192 +/-  hrs of SD programs. 

I am paying for that service.

Comments about what I should do with my recorded programs are not helpful.

Contributor
6-N-8-I-8-C-2-K

I don't see what the problem is here. If you want the 300hrs then you must upgrade to the newer dvrs with 500gbs of storage. Whatever the rep told you can and might be inaccurate. If you are just interested in complaining about false advertisement then I don't think anything can be done; except offer you a higher capacity DVR. Good luck
Contributor
6-N-8-I-8-C-2-K

Questions about your digital cable box with built-in DVR
How many hours of programming can I store on my DVR?
The number of recording hours for standard-definition or high-definition programming depends on the DVR model you currently have. With the Motorola DCT3412/3416 or DCT6412/6416, you can save up to 75 hours of standard-definition programming or up to 20 hours of HD programming.
Visitor
Mag01001

You don’t see the problem.  Then read the post.  I am NOT complaining.  I am asking for HELP

Today (5/19) I call 1 800 Comcast and using my EXACT model of HD DVR (DCH3416R), the rep said the HD DVR had a 160 GB hard drive. He concluded I should be able to record 192 hours of SD programs. He had no solution for me except that I buy a DVR expander (approximately $125).

Can anyone help?

By “Can anyone help?”, I mean can anyone explain why Comcast told me I am able to record 192 hrs of SD programs, but my DVR shows 87% full with 91 hrs of SD programs?

I also mean can anyone HELP  with how I can get my DVR to record 192 +/-  hrs of SD programs.  I am paying for that service.

Visitor
Mag01001

"...you can save up to 75 hours of standard-definition programming or up to 20 hours of HD programming."

Thanks for the info.

Your info is different than what the Comcast rep told me. 

I haven’t been able to find any specific capacity info on the Comcast website.

Contributor
6-N-8-I-8-C-2-K

One last thing, the DVR was probably refurbished and the hard drive was swapped. So it could be 120,160 etc.

The solution here is to upgrade to a new DVR at no cost to you.