New Visitor
ChiTownDale

Changing non-HD screen format

Hi,

I have what I hope is a simple question. When I had DISH NETWORK I was able to Zoom the picture on non-HD programs to any of three levels. This would allow me to fill the screen completely on a 16:9 HD screen with a little chopped off the top and bottom. at the third level. Most of the time I used level 2 which almost filled the screen but didn't chop off nearly as much from the top and bottom. The change was simple in that just like a telephone pad there was an asterisk next to the nine button. Press it once and it went to level one, twice and it went to level two and three times for the maximum which filled the screen completely. Press it again and it went back to "normal".

When I went to Uverse, they would allow the same thing by hitting the menu button and selecting the level from a drop down list on the upper right of the screen without interrupting the program you were watching. A little more work but the same result.

I haven't found any equivalent function for Xfinity. I have a Motorola DVR controller with the remote with the RED OK button.

It is really annoying to not be able to make the picture fill more of the screen. The whole reason for buying a HD TV is to have a bigger picture. Is there an easy way to dynamically make the picture bigger on non-HD shows with Xfinity? Most of what I have read here requires turning off the control box, hitting the menu button and reprogramming the box from that. That is the furthest thing from dynamic that I can think of and totally useless to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Changing non-HD screen format

turn the cable box OFF, with it off and the tv on press the menu button.  In there you will see the screen options.  since you say you have a 16:9 screen you should select 1080i for your resolution.  If you have one of the newer motorola's you would select all the resolutions that you tv would accept with the check box.   There is also an option in there for what to do with non hd programming, you can set that to stretch which will fill the screen on non hd channels but will be slightly distored.   Play around with the options in there, that is where all the options are.

As a side not, if comcast came out to your home and set this up the tech should have done this for you. 

New Visitor
ChiTownDale

Thanks, I will try what you said to do.  Comcast did set it up but one day last week when I turned on the controller I got a screen of white lettered options. It looked like an installation screen and had some of the options you mentioned. As I recall, I set all of the options you mentioned. I definitely set the 16:9 and the 1080I settings. I'm not sure what I set for non-HD screens but I thought I had set it for stretch but I could be wrong since I didn't have any instructions as to what should be set to what.

Apparently from your answer comcast doesn't have the same features that I mentioned that DISH and Uverse have to dynamically change non-HD screens via the remote controller. Having to turn off the system and reprogram is a real pain since sometimes you may want to stretch the picture but not all the way as I mentioned. With DISH it only takes pressing the * button twice to fill the screen most of the way without much distortion at all. Uverse is a little harder in that you have to go through the menu and select one of the three levels of stretch and then go back and set it to normal after you are done watching that particular show but it is still far easier than reprogramming the control box.

I'm just surprised at the primitive way that changing the picture is handled by comcast since much of their technology is as good or better than DISH or Uverse yet this is a basic function and having to reprogram the box is plain dumb in my opinion.

The controller I have is a DCT3416-1 which I assume is one of their newer ones. If so they have a lot of work to do yet.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

dct 3416 is one of the older models.  so when your in that programming screen set your resolution for 1080i and set the other option to stretch.  There is a zoom button on the remote but it does not work for the motorola boxes, it hasn't for me anyway. 

New Visitor
ChiTownDale

Yes, I noticed that button and it did noting for me either. Hopefully they will upgrade me to a newer controller when I tell them that this one freezes every day. One can only hope.

Thanks for the advice.