New Visitor

Channel Guide is GONE!

I am VERY upset that COMCAST has removed the channel guide from the basic cable package.  I have one box that I pay a monthly fee for but all my other TV's have straight cable coming into them.  I was told this evening that if the TV was older than 2007 that I would have to rent more boxes to get.  98% of all TV's are older than 2007.  This is a RIPOFF.  Comcast should figure out a way to provide this service.  Their commercials state that if you have cable that you will not need any other box and now I am told I have to pay MORE to get the minium service.  WHY DO I HAVE CABLE?  Why don't I just go to the dish?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: Channel Guide is GONE!

Upsetnow wrote:

...Why don't I just go to the dish?

Let me guess -- because you won't get any channels without a box there?  :smileyconfused:

Contributor

Yep. And they killed the History Channel too.

I'm really ticked at this company.

And they claim the FCC made them do it.

"I'm certainly concerned with the increasing cable prices that consumers are facing," FCC Chairman Kevin Martin told the Associated Press. "They are getting less and being charged the same or more." The channel switching might require customers who had less expensive service packages to sign up for more expensive ones. The FCC also apparently is concerned that some service providers are confusing consumers, leading them to think the channel moves have something to do with the upcoming February 2009 digital TV transition.

The full article is here..........  http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i_NkKZxZQkdPK2nNl8i1JbfWvl-gD948DNH80

Email Expert

Where does the article say "they claim the FCC made them do it"?

Cable companies are switching to digital so they can offer more HD and On Demand programs. 

Contributor

The article reinforces what I was told when I called Comcastp to complain.

Understand? Or is all this over your head?

Email Expert

Go look in the Channels and Programming forum. Thread after thread asking "Why doesn't Comcast have this channel?" or complaining about the lack of HD channels compared to other services. Then there are other threads complaining about channels moving from analog to digital.

Seems like Comcast is caught between a rock and a hard place. In order to add more digital and HD channels, they need to free up the bandwidth being used by analog channels. Every analog channel uses bandwidth that could allow something like 10 SD or 3 HD channels.

So who should win, the customers that want "more, more more" or the ones who don't want to lose channels off their cable-ready sets? 

Recognized Contributor

hey com_crap...

Realise this, Comcast is the only cable provider that allows customers to hook up their TV's directly to a cable wire and view channels 2-99 (depending on their package). Now when customers say "im going to dish or comcast **bleep** because i need a box now" all i can do it laugh. Every company makes you rent/buy a box in order to view 1 CHANNEL!

Recognized Contributor

FALSE FALSE FALSE, I had TWC which suc.ked as bad as Komcrap but you could still get analog and digital and HD over regular coax.  I am not defending compost but you are completely in the wrong with that statement.
Contributor

Defending Compost..........gotta love it!

Ok, let's talk about bandwidth. History channel was originally on 52. Now gone from my direct feed TV.

But through a Compost DVR, it's still on 52, AND on 126, AND on 852. The guide channel is still on 27 thru the box, AND on 177. So somebody explain to me how all this is freeing up bandwidth.

Face it, Comcrust is simply abusing their ability to force people into more monthly rental fees.

I've also got a TivoHD DVR. If anyone's interested, I have a cable card story you won't believe.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

It doesn't take any more bandwidth to have the box display the same signal on multiple channels.  The bandwidth is required to get the signal from Comcast to your home -- once it reaches the box it can be displayed on more than one channel. 
Visitor

That isn't true in Salem Oregon. In Salem we are being forced to get a digital adapter in order to view channels 32-71. I called the Comcast help line today and they confirmed that this digital adapter will stop me from receiving the FREE HD transmission from NBC, CBS, etc (8-1, 6-1). I have two new HD TVs in my home. One has the silver digital box the second one doesn't have any box. The cable goes directly into the TV so I have been getting free HD for ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and The CW. This will end when I attach their adapter.

They told me today that I was the first one to call about this issue. Their cure was to get a splitter and an AB switch. I hope others will call and complain. Salem was chosen to be first for this digital adapter for channels 31-71. Comcast intends to bring this feature to a city near you soon.

To add further insult I will need to pay for this digital adapter for a TV that already has a digital tuner. They give two free adapters per home. I need three so I'll be paying an extra $1.99 each month and loosing my free HD for ABC, NBC, etc.

Contributor

Barmar wrote:

Go look in the Channels and Programming forum. Thread after thread asking "Why doesn't Comcast have this channel?" or complaining about the lack of HD channels compared to other services. Then there are other threads complaining about channels moving from analog to digital.

Seems like Comcast is caught between a rock and a hard place. In order to add more digital and HD channels, they need to free up the bandwidth being used by analog channels. Every analog channel uses bandwidth that could allow something like 10 SD or 3 HD channels.

So who should win, the customers that want "more, more more" or the ones who don't want to lose channels off their cable-ready sets? 

The issue isn't that they're moving to digital. Well, for some it is, but for many, they already have digital capable TVs. The issue is that the digital is encrypted, and requires the rental of a decoder box. Now, if comcast provided FREE boxes for as many TVs as a consumer has, there wouldn't be complaints. Of course, they could also send the signals unencrypted. But then they couldn't get all that extra money out of us.

Email Expert

FireyIce01 wrote: 
The issue isn't that they're moving to digital. Well, for some it is, but for many, they already have digital capable TVs. The issue is that the digital is encrypted, and requires the rental of a decoder box. Now, if comcast provided FREE boxes for as many TVs as a consumer has, there wouldn't be complaints. Of course, they could also send the signals unencrypted. But then they couldn't get all that extra money out of us.

They also couldn't offer different digital packages, as encryption is necessary to ensure that customers can only get the channels in the package they've subscribed to.