New Visitor
betsycam

Channels keep dropping, breaking up

This issue keeps cropping up over the last 3-4 weeks.  We have one TV with a cable box because we have a Tivo Series 2, no card available.  We have HBO, but the quality is horrible, with breaks in the picture/sound.  We keep having channels dropping from our line up, too.  We've replaced the cable box once (me having to go to one of the service centers) and when that did not resolve the issue (including having the box remotely programmed), we had a technician come out.  He replaced the box again, and said our line was bad so he installed another one.  That worked for a few days - no problems with the picture or channels dropping - but then suddenly the same problems were back again.

I called for another tecnician to come, which will be tomorrow, but during that call the technician reset the box remotely, and that brought back channels including the HBO channels that were missing.  But, the broken picture/sound continues.

I don't understand this because we went for nearly a year of service, I'd say, without these problems, and now it is ongoing.  After the box was reset and the channel line-up came back, we thought we might cancel the appointment tomorrow, except for the fact that the picture quaility was still bad, cutting in and out.  Then, tonight, as my husband was enjoying some college football on ESPN, it cut out and now none of those channels are accessible again!

I think we are due some credit towards our bill for all of this, and if they can't resolve these issues then we will be demanding release from our contract so that we can get service elsewhere (Dish, Directv?).

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Channels keep dropping, breaking up

[ Edited ]

Do not cancel the appt.  All it takes is one loose / corrorded / wet F connector to cause your signal issue, or a damaged section of coax.  Let the tech try and find the issue.

Hopefully some of the signal will be bad when he arrives and he can find where the issue is and get it fixed.  It can even be upstream into Comcast's RF portion of the outside plant.

It certainly can be fixed.

New Visitor

I am/was experiencing the same problem (and I have the same Tivo).  It started happening about two months ago after the hurricane and I had someone out to 'fix' the problem which didn't fix things.  Then I had several more phone calls and two different tech. operators who said they 'fixed' the problem over the cable line blaming the box.  I finally replaced the box and things seem to be fine.  I think it's a weak signal and the older boxes drop out.  I never had a problem until the hurricane so I believe that there is a weakened connection on the line someplace nearby due to wind or a branch hitting the line.  Since I picked up a new box and not a reconditioned one, the problem seems to be alright.

New Visitor
betsycam

It is interesting that after I posted to this forum last night, we woke up to find our digital cables back.  We still have break up, though - broken pictures/interrupted sound, blacking out, pixilating, whatever.  Our tech who came before called to confirm this morning and said he still thought it was the Tivo's fault!  How could Tivo interrup the signal coming through the cable box when the cable comes into the box first?!!  And, if it was Tivo's fault, why would the signal come back? 

At any rate, we know that the signal was bad coming through the cable before, which is why the tech brought in a new one, but obviously it is something earlier in the line than what he brought in. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

So the tech didn't do anything to troubleshoot the issue?