New Visitor
ersheido

Cisco RNG 150 DOA

I received a Cisco RNG 150 box from Comcast for a self-install.  I plugged into into the cable, power, and HDMI and waited 20 minutes per the instructions then I activated it online.   The box just doesn't not come on.  I unplugged it from the power, waited a while, then plugged it back in.  Here's the sequence of what I see:

1.  All 3 lights (Power, Data, and Remote) flash back and forth for a few seconds.

2.  The Power light flahes slowly for a few seconds

3.  The box dies and no response from it

The Power button does not respond, but I see a red light in the back.  When I press the On button on the remote control, the Remote light flashes, but that's about it.

I'm at a loss and so frustrated!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Cisco RNG 150 DOA

[ Edited ]

Power it up for an hour, then call it in.  Online activations do not always work.  You should call Comcast support next.

20 minutes is not long enough for a box from a fulfilment center.

New Visitor
ersheido

Tried that yesterday, but to no avail.  They claim the signal is going through fine to the box, but nothing is changing on my end.  

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

Then you will need to contact Comcast and arrange a box swap, or they should send out a tech to find out why it won't activate.

Do you already have other digital set top boxes in the house that are working?

New Visitor
bsrodgers1

Yeah I am experiencing the same issue.  I have already swapped out one box already.  To be given 2 dead boxes is troubling.  I've been very happy with Comcast...but now it's starting to get annoying.

Contributor
anthonylokrn

Same problem here. Waited an hour at the local Comcast to upgrade to the RNG 150, and got home to find out that the receiver with DOA.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

when you go to the office have them hook the box up at the office to make sure it works.   The boxes are just recycled over and over again

Contributor
anthonylokrn

[ Edited ]

Well spent ANOTHER hour in line at the local service center to be told that they were all out of stock for the Cisco RNG 150, so I was not able to exchange my DOA box.

I called the 1-800 number to file a complaint and/or to see if they were able to get me another box and/or compensate for my wasted time.

First rep. offered no assistance other than telling me that all of the Houston area is out of stock and the closest place was Dallas. She offered me a choice of a premium movie channel for 3 months, which I told her I did not want and would rather have a credit on my account which was denied. I then asked for a supervisor and was told that one would call me back within the day.

The supervisor called and offered no assistance either. She only offered me a movie channel as well for 3 months and would not do a credit on my account. She offered to have a receiver shipped to me at a cost of $10 for shipping which she would not waive. I told her I will not pay EXTRA for anything since I have already been through a hassle. I asked her if there was any way for me to contact the service center to check their inventory, and was told no. She expects me to go blindly at random to the service center, wait in line, and ask if they have it in stock or not.

To top it off, the supervisor said it was just like trying to find an iPad 2 in stock, since it is "hard to find." I then told her that at least I can call the store and check their inventory and/or check inventory online at the website.

I then went through the Comcast chat and they easily setup a box to be shipped to me and waived the fee. 

**Also just wondering, is it normal for tax to be charged just for equipment rental? I pay for basic digital cable via my Home Owners Association and they include a free Cisco RNG 100, and now I'm upgrading to the Cisco RNG 150 which is supposely $8.50/month extra. They are charging a one time $5 "change of service" fee and an additional $2.06/month for tax on a $8.50 rental fee. That's quite a bit of tax.

New Visitor
marlowe32

Having same problem with RNG150 box.   Unplug it per Comcast tech support, wait, plug it back in, the lights go through a brief flashing sequence, and then I cannot power it up from the remote.  I can see a red light inside the unit, so I know it has power, but it won't turn on from either the remote or front panel power switch.  I waited the obligatory 20 minutes and nothing...swapped the box out (Comcast office on Mason Road has them) and I am going through the exact same issue with the replacement box.

Plus it took Comcast 3 days to correctly pair a TiVo CableCard...much yelling / cursing...and it took 4 cards  before we got one that worked.  TiVo tech told me he has seen people go through 8 cards before finding one that will pair correctly.

I would not mind so much, if I did not keep getting put on the phone with someone with such a thick accent that everything has to be repeated several times.

Contributor
anthonylokrn

The RNG150 that was shipped to me looked brand new. I suggest you go through their online chat and speak with somebody there in regards to them shipping it to you and waiving the shipping fee.

Seems like the reps. via online chat are more "capable" than anybody that you can get hold of at their 800 number. In addition, when I setup my new box, I had a bit of trouble again. Called the 800 number and had to be transferred 4 times between thick accented reps, then finally reach an american speaking rep and he fixed it within 5 minutes.

New Visitor

[ Edited ]

Thanks OP! I Had a similar problem with Cisco RNG 100 this morning when powering on TV. Got the RNG 100 new in box when digital conversion was implemented in New Mexico...no reburb, to my knowledge. TV worked for a few seconds and then went to black screen. Box showed three lights blinking accross left to right. No stable Green Power indicator light. Unplugged power cord and waited...no good. Pushed buttons...clicked clicker...and on and on. Nothing...No signal...No satisfaction.

So I did what anyone could and should do with internet access...I came to this forum and found a thread that addressed my issue. I read that Comcast Online Chat has an experienced and helpful crew that may be the best resource for resolving this type problem...so I fired up the Chat and with the help of the Online Rep it was fixed...within minutes and with minimal hassle. She did a little signal update and button pushing on her end and I just followed instructions. This was one of the FEW contacts with Comcast that went without a hitch. Bottom line...Get online with Chat before running to stand inline!

Regular Contributor
marty999

Sorry to burst your bubble but those overseas people are CLUELESS - you were BLESSED to find ONE SINGLE PERSON who might have known his job but after fifteen days without a decent picture and a 45 MINUTE chat that produced nothing but lies, I am going to look into satellite SOON.

New Visitor
Porcke

YOur posting was in 2011 I see. Mine is today Nov 23, 2012, so looks like the problem issue ahs not been resolved yet. Faulty merchandise.  I may have time tomorrow to go through a few RNG 100 unitil I get one that'll stay steady on green LED(power on light). I only did it once today, with two switchouts. I assumed the 3d one would work and went 10 miles home with no success. Although mine is not your RNG 150, I figured the issue is relative to the service and every few CISCO cable boxes until you get one that works properlly, If I get one working right, then will call and cancel the tech visit.

New Visitor
Drfixerit

We had same problem.

We contacted Comcast six times by phone and spoke to six different techs and could not get our HD unit activated.

We returned to the store and got 3 different units and still we could not get HD service activated.

Finally, we considered our splitter might be the problem.

We completely disconnected the cable from the splitter and we completely unplugged the cable from the involved units.

We then unplugged the HD unit and the other involved unit from the power source. 

We waited a minute and then reconnected the main cable to the single hookup on the splitter, then we reconnected the two cables from the splitter to the two involved units.

Then we plugged in the HD unit and the other involved unit.

Finally the HD unit began to boot.

We waited 10 minutes, then reactivated the HD unit by phone, using the automated system.

The automated system send an activating signal to our HD unit, and finally,

It works.

We hope this helps.

(In short disconnect everything connected to the cable (cable and power)
We hope this helps.

New Visitor
donmas1

I had the same issue and fixed it. I had the box plugged into the same power strip that the tv was in. I plugged the box directly into the wall and the issue went away.
New Visitor
meinstein

If you don't have a good signal, it won't load!!! That exact sequence of lights will happen, then the box will never turn on. When the same thing happened to me, I realized that the booster was off outside, because the outlet out there was tripped. When I reset it, it did the same sequence of lights , but in 10 minutes it was up and running.

By the way that sequence of lights is normal, then it looks for its download. Only after a successful download from COMCAST will the box turn on.